• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The default position...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Well, your articles are wrong. Skepticism is an extended position, not a default. It's a position of "always questioning," per se.

It's healthy, but it's no default.

I'm not going to "prove" god per se, because it's not relevant to the topic and because I simply don't care that you believe anything I say.

Default position is just a fancy term that is descriptive of a few different terms, such as skeptic.
It is healthy, I agree; it is also a default. Unless you can find a person that's never been skeptical of something.
I will believe whatever can be proven, but I will never believe just what someone may say.

If you can prove it I will believe it.
But I am not so childish, nor gullible, as to believe anything I'm told.

So you no caring is good, you would have wasted your words anyways, I'm sure.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Finding a person who has never been skeptic is not a test of a "default" of anything. It's an actual position about skepticism. The position of ignorance about skepticism.

Deathbydefault

Well you see, if a default position is what stops you from believing something without a reason, then doesn't atheism apply within it?
Atheist don't believe in God because they need that reason, that evidence, to do so.
Same with skeptics, and agnostics.

If my articles are "wrong" then give me one that aren't.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well you see, if a default position is what stops you from believing something without a reason, then doesn't atheism apply within it?
That isn't what a default is.

Default: Something that is usual or standard.

There's nothing usual, or really unusual, about the atheist, unless it's about a world where there are nothing but theists. (i.e. the Nineteenth Century.)

Atheist don't believe in God because they need that reason, that evidence, to do so.
Same with skeptics, and agnostics.

If my articles are "wrong" then give me one that aren't.
They're not "wrong" about atheism, just about default.

Yerda

Veteran Member
No, Windwalker. I do understand your argument. I've seen variations of it in various threads for years, but it's simply not how we're defining weak atheism. Weak atheism is not a point of view.
I have never been comfortable with this idea. Weak atheism in myself and everyone that I know who shares it has always been a view point. It is a conclusion, not default ignorance. There is not enough evidence, therefore it is rejected. The position of the newborn is ignorance, atheism comes when you know what you don't believe. That's how I see it.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The default condition for a human consciousness is "not knowing." We learn, and as we do we grow.

That's not to say that "atheism" is any condition of not knowing. We learn atheism as much as we learn anything else.

Deathbydefault

That isn't what a default is.

Default: Something that is usual or standard.

There's nothing unusual about the atheist, unless it's about a world where there are nothing but theists. (i.e. the Nineteenth Century.)

They're not "wrong" about atheism, just about default.

Default | Definition of default by Merriam-Webster
: a selection made usually automatically or without active consideration due to lack of a viable alternative <remained the club's president by default>

What of that definition?

Status
Not open for further replies.