• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the dark ages, the battle of tours (732 A.D.)...a historical question

waitasec

Veteran Member
greetings...

i've been reading up on the dark ages, what was brought to my attention, i'll mark in red. about 100 yrs after mohammed died the mores came to conquer europe until they met the hammer, charles martel, who stopped the umayyad invasions in europe...seems to me the christian religion was forced to be tied into politics, as martel began seizing church lands, causing outrage within the religious community.
now what i'm reading is obviously from the western POV...what i want to know is, why did the mores attempt to conquer europe in the 1st place, was it religious in nature?

thanks in advance.

waitasec

Veteran Member
ok i saw the video and to be honest i was educated in some aspects of islam...what this video concentrated mostly on was the advances of islam, which isn't what i wanted to get into because the advances of islam are undeniable just as the advances from the roman empire, the greeks, egyptians and the chinese...
but my question was indeed answered.
so again, thanks for the link.

in regards to the OP what i gathered from this video is that it was a regular occurrence in the nomadic way of life in this particular region was to raid neighboring villages and i'll quote the video...
"in one of the arabic chronicles from a commander was reported to have said:
this land is you inheritance and the promise of your lord. you've been tasting of it and eating of it. you have been killing it's people and taking them in to captivity. you are arab chiefs and notables. if you renounce this world and aspire to the hereafter, god wil give you this world and the hereafter.
they believed they were inspired by the power of god to raid neighboring lands and with the advent of islam, it became a spiritual significance."

so that pretty much sets the tone of why the umayyad invasions in europe occurred.

is this accurate?