• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Damage Fundamentalism Can Do

maggie2

Last night I had a couple of friends drop in and we ended up having a discussion about religion and how it has affected our lives. My friend, let's call her Pat, was brought up in a fundamentalist environment where fire and brimstone was preached weekly. She is now 55 years old now and knows intellectually that this is hogwash, however, she still has extreme fear about death and hell and it has a profound affect on her life.

I will spend some time pondering her situation and how I might be able to help her put these ghosts to rest. It will not be easy as I have been there and done that so I know it's a long journey. However, having walked that path I know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I realize that anger is a choice so I acknowledge that I have chosen to be angry but man, am I ticked at the people who did this. I am also ticked at those who continue to terrify others with this hogwash. So my questions are:

1. What if anything can be done to prevent this from happening?
2. Do you have any suggestions on how I might be able to help my friend?
3. Has anyone reading this had similar experiences and if so what helped you?

We need to shed light on this terrible practice and find some ways to deal with it effectively, in my opinion.

JRMcC

I'm not sure if it can be done away with altogether. But if we want to make the groups of people that believes things like this as small as possible, I think we have to stop pretending as if these are valid, respect-worthy beliefs. We also have to try to educate people and come up with good ways to argue against cultists nonsense.

Sounds like a question for a psychiatrist. Getting someone out of that way of thinking to stop current harm is one thing, but once the damage is done I don't know.

It hasn't happened to me but I have a friend who is in a religious group with total nonsensical beliefs. I don't know how to help him because he's been indoctrinated and trained to argue against science and rationality.

Thanks for posting about this in the way you did. I've been thinking about this kind of thing a lot lately.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Last night I had a couple of friends drop in and we ended up having a discussion about religion and how it has affected our lives. My friend, let's call her Pat, was brought up in a fundamentalist environment where fire and brimstone was preached weekly. She is now 55 years old now and knows intellectually that this is hogwash, however, she still has extreme fear about death and hell and it has a profound affect on her life.

I will spend some time pondering her situation and how I might be able to help her put these ghosts to rest. It will not be easy as I have been there and done that so I know it's a long journey. However, having walked that path I know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I realize that anger is a choice so I acknowledge that I have chosen to be angry but man, am I ticked at the people who did this. I am also ticked at those who continue to terrify others with this hogwash. So my questions are:

We need to shed light on this terrible practice and find some ways to deal with it effectively, in my opinion.
In this country people are free to preach whatever they like and people can believe it or not. I hope that never changes.

maggie2

In this country people are free to preach whatever they like and people can believe it or not. I hope that never changes.

I realize that in America and my country, Canada, and many other parts of the world people are free to preach whatever they want to. However, that doesn't make it right, in my opinion. I know that we can't curtail free speech so I'm not sure what the answer is. However, whether there is a solution or not, this type of garbage that they were spouting is harmful.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I realize that in America and my country, Canada, and many other parts of the world people are free to preach whatever they want to. However, that doesn't make it right, in my opinion. I know that we can't curtail free speech so I'm not sure what the answer is. However, whether there is a solution or not, this type of garbage that they were spouting is harmful.

But, unfortunately, it doesn't make it wrong. We all have to find our own truth. Many, like your friend, have chosen to believe the truth of others. I grew up in a Fundie environment and it took me many years of study, soul-searching, and panic attacks to finally shake off the ridiculous and see the truth. You can only show your friends your truth and hopefully they'll find their own. Good luck.

maggie2

But, unfortunately, it doesn't make it wrong. We all have to find our own truth. Many, like your friend, have chosen to believe the truth of others. I grew up in a Fundie environment and it took me many years of study, soul-searching, and panic attacks to finally shake off the ridiculous and see the truth. You can only show your friends your truth and hopefully they'll find their own. Good luck.

Such wise words of wisdom. Thanks for that. I know what you mean by it takes years, I've been on that path for years also. And you are right, I can show her my truth but that may not be the truth for her. I think we each have to come to our own truth, whatever that entails.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
It never harmed me. As for your friend I think she should explore why the idea still makes her uncomfortable. If you feel strongly about it you could preach against it.

atpollard

Try teaching what Jesus taught in the Bible.
I have a friend who grew up hearing lots of things about Authority and what people say that Jesus said.
We meet weekly (with a group of other men) to read for ourselves what the Bible actually says.

Start with a Gospel.
Did Jesus say anything to suggest that there is a Hell? Sure.
Is burning in Hell the central focus of everything that he taught? Nope.
A little perspective goes a long way.
YMMV