• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The current 'transgender' community and 'movement'

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Here, I wanted to post my thoughts on the state of the transgender community and movement, as I see it as a transsexual man.

I am a transsexual man. I transitioned to male years ago, and have been on testosterone for close to a decade now. I've been open about being FtM as long as I've been here, so there's nothing new there. I'm no outsider when it comes to this.

I have to say that I feel almost nothing in common with the current 'transgender' community and 'trans activism'. It's awfully alienating to me. I totally reject what is called 'gender theory', the attempt to downplay biological sex differences and the push for a 'gender-fluid' society, all of which are very popular among young urban people who identify as trans in some way. This is a more recent development as many older trans people, especially those who transitioned in previous decades, do not hold those viewpoints, and this has lead to very much infighting between the two factions.

A large part of the problem seems to stem from 'transgender' becoming viewed as an umbrella term recently. It is often used as a synonym for gender non-conformity and so the boundaries of who and what is included in the definition have shifted considerably. In the beginning, the word basically had the same connotation as 'transsexual' in that it referred to a person who identified as and at least wished to transition to the opposite sex. But somewhere around the '90s or so, activists started broadening it to include other groups as they came to view gender as more of a mere performative social construct. Eventually this viewpoint seeped into the larger community as a whole.

I personally disagree with that use of the word 'transgender', but that's not the only reason I don't use it. I also don't prefer that term because it's totally inaccurate to describe a person like me in such a way. I am changing my biological, as well as legal, sex to suit my identity as a male. I am not changing my "gender". It has little to do with social concepts of gender. I don't view 'trans' as an identity. I simply view myself as a man/male.

Which brings me to the fact that due to the broadening of the definition of 'transgender' has caused many sundry groups to be included, which have little to do with each other, such as non-binary people and transsexuals like me. You have people who strongly desire to transition and live as the opposite sex and are at suicide risk if they do not do so, such is their suffering from dysphoria, being broadly included with cross dressers and people who feel little to no dysphoria, and may not even identify as anything. The goals and needs of these groups are very different and are at odds.

Many transsexuals, such as myself, simply wish to live as the sex we transitioned to and get on with our lives. Many of us do not talk about it or wave flags and banners around. We do not want to spark a revolution calling for the destruction of gender norms or making distinctions between the sexes. We don't want to ban gender reveal parties or sex on birth certificates. Many of us find such things offensive, as well as the notion of having to declare our pronouns (mine should be obvious). So many of these considerations trample over the desires and needs of transsexual people.

Personally, I do not view being transsexual as a source of pride. This has nothing to do with self-hatred or society. It is simply because dysphoria is an extremely painful condition to have to endure and you must rely on medical treatment for your whole life to be treated for it. This is not something I like being reminded of as it is painful to me. I am proud of the fact that I'll have to spend my whole life injecting testosterone every week into myself and have costly surgeries just to feel at home in my body. No 'trans pride' flags for me.

Transsexuals with my opinions are treated more and more as outcasts in what is supposed to be 'our community'. We are called terms like 'transmedicalist' as smears. We are seen as the trans version of 'Uncle Tom' types by radical activists, simply for asking for reason and logic in these matters. I experienced this myself in discussions and debates with other trans people, online and in person.

This also serves to shut down criticism, even when it's healthy and compassionate. I attended a support group for trans people here for years. Many kinds of people passed through. Many of them were evidently not trans at all. Many suffered from serious mental illnesses and were genuinely confused about their identity. Others were transvestites and had a sexual fetish. Many different things going on. But it has become taboo to speak honestly and point out the obvious, that a person isn't necessarily trans merely because they feel they are or might be. There's no room for suggesting other possibilities. You're generally expected to accept whatever others say about themselves at face value, even if you feel they are endangering themselves or it plainly doesn't make sense.

Compassion is key and we should certainly strive to extend it towards all. But certainly there's many people who would've been saved from making very bad decisions if only someone was honest with them. This is obvious when it comes to the number of people detransitioning, who are mostly pretty young. So these people are being let down in the name of a rather insidious type of relativism towards reality.

There are also 'gender bending' things promoted in the media such as 'pregnant men' who breastfeed, and trans women impregnating people, proudly sporting beards and going on about their penises that I find disturbing and offensive, as do other trans people. These things make us look like circus freaks in the minds of others and causes them to take us less seriously.

So, after years of being a part of it in my city, I can safely say I am no longer a member of the trans community and do not miss it. It has lost the plot.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I feel like the best deep dive that exists within the transgender public scene is still Natalie and this video reflects most of my opinions on the matter.
The video goes onto great detail about exclusivity and inclusivity within the trans community from both sides.
It's also just a fun production to watch.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I feel like the best deep dive that exists within the transgender public scene is still Natalie and this video reflects most of my opinions on the matter.
The video goes onto great detail about exclusivity and inclusivity within the trans community from both sides.
It's also just a fun production to watch.
Can you give a summary? That video is irritating and I can't even get a minute into it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here, I wanted to post my thoughts on the state of the transgender community and movement, as I see it as a transsexual man.

I am a transsexual man. I transitioned to male years ago, and have been on testosterone for close to a decade now. I've been open about being FtM as long as I've been here, so there's nothing new there. I'm no outsider when it comes to this.

I have to say that I feel almost nothing in common with the current 'transgender' community and 'trans activism'. It's awfully alienating to me. I totally reject what is called 'gender theory', the attempt to downplay biological sex differences and the push for a 'gender-fluid' society, all of which are very popular among young urban people who identify as trans in some way. This is a more recent development as many older trans people, especially those who transitioned in previous decades, do not hold those viewpoints, and this has lead to very much infighting between the two factions.

A large part of the problem seems to stem from 'transgender' becoming viewed as an umbrella term recently. It is often used as a synonym for gender non-conformity and so the boundaries of who and what is included in the definition have shifted considerably. In the beginning, the word basically had the same connotation as 'transsexual' in that it referred to a person who identified as and at least wished to transition to the opposite sex. But somewhere around the '90s or so, activists started broadening it to include other groups as they came to view gender as more of a mere performative social construct. Eventually this viewpoint seeped into the larger community as a whole.

I personally disagree with that use of the word 'transgender', but that's not the only reason I don't use it. I also don't prefer that term because it's totally inaccurate to describe a person like me in such a way. I am changing my biological, as well as legal, sex to suit my identity as a male. I am not changing my "gender". It has little to do with social concepts of gender. I don't view 'trans' as an identity. I simply view myself as a man/male.

Which brings me to the fact that due to the broadening of the definition of 'transgender' has caused many sundry groups to be included, which have little to do with each other, such as non-binary people and transsexuals like me. You have people who strongly desire to transition and live as the opposite sex and are at suicide risk if they do not do so, such is their suffering from dysphoria, being broadly included with cross dressers and people who feel little to no dysphoria, and may not even identify as anything. The goals and needs of these groups are very different and are at odds.

Many transsexuals, such as myself, simply wish to live as the sex we transitioned to and get on with our lives. Many of us do not talk about it or wave flags and banners around. We do not want to spark a revolution calling for the destruction of gender norms or making distinctions between the sexes. We don't want to ban gender reveal parties or sex on birth certificates. Many of us find such things offensive, as well as the notion of having to declare our pronouns (mine should be obvious). So many of these considerations trample over the desires and needs of transsexual people.

Personally, I do not view being transsexual as a source of pride. This has nothing to do with self-hatred or society. It is simply because dysphoria is an extremely painful condition to have to endure and you must rely on medical treatment for your whole life to be treated for it. This is not something I like being reminded of as it is painful to me. I am proud of the fact that I'll have to spend my whole life injecting testosterone every week into myself and have costly surgeries just to feel at home in my body. No 'trans pride' flags for me.

Transsexuals with my opinions are treated more and more as outcasts in what is supposed to be 'our community'. We are called terms like 'transmedicalist' as smears. We are seen as the trans version of 'Uncle Tom' types by radical activists, simply for asking for reason and logic in these matters. I experienced this myself in discussions and debates with other trans people, online and in person.

This also serves to shut down criticism, even when it's healthy and compassionate. I attended a support group for trans people here for years. Many kinds of people passed through. Many of them were evidently not trans at all. Many suffered from serious mental illnesses and were genuinely confused about their identity. Others were transvestites and had a sexual fetish. Many different things going on. But it has become taboo to speak honestly and point out the obvious, that a person isn't necessarily trans merely because they feel they are or might be. There's no room for suggesting other possibilities. You're generally expected to accept whatever others say about themselves at face value, even if you feel they are endangering themselves or it plainly doesn't make sense.

Compassion is key and we should certainly strive to extend it towards all. But certainly there's many people who would've been saved from making very bad decisions if only someone was honest with them. This is obvious when it comes to the number of people detransitioning, who are mostly pretty young. So these people are being let down in the name of a rather insidious type of relativism towards reality.

There are also 'gender bending' things promoted in the media such as 'pregnant men' who breastfeed, and trans women impregnating people, proudly sporting beards and going on about their penises that I find disturbing and offensive, as do other trans people. These things make us look like circus freaks in the minds of others and causes them to take us less seriously.

So, after years of being a part of it in my city, I can safely say I am no longer a member of the trans community and do not miss it. It has lost the plot.
I am nothing, but if I was your teacher grading on your writing skill I have to give you an A+++. I hate reading some long posts and most of the time, I won't. You are so very interesting and you write well. I will not pun. I love you!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I am nothing, but if I was your teacher grading on your writing skill I have to give you an A+++. I hate reading some long posts and most of the time, I won't. You are so very interesting and you write well. I will not pun. I love you!
Wow, thank you. That's very kind of you to say. I used to be a very good writer in my teens and younger. I did want to write as a career. I did not mean for the post to end up that long. My apologies. Lol.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
It's okay. I wish you that your choice has been met with sufficient compassion and empathy among those whose opinion affects your life.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wow, thank you. That's very kind of you to say. I used to be a very good writer in my teens and younger. I did want to write as a career. I did not mean for the post to end up that long. My apologies. Lol.
It wasn't too long. Go! Pursue your dream. I have the confidence that you can make a career of writing. Sometimes, nowadays you need a paper like the straw man, so be it! I do not know. You are good.

ps. I think that you are still young.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I had no idea this was going on. Thanks for taking the time to write from the heart and to post it and educate at least one person: me.

Compassion is key and we should certainly strive to extend it towards all.

Aye, it comes down that that over and over.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It's okay. I wish you that your choice has been met with sufficient compassion and empathy among those whose opinion affects your life.
Like who? Doctors? That's really the only relevant opinion that "effects my life" when it comes to this, for me.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's common for transsexuals to pass as cis after transitioning. I certainly do.
Right. And she takes it as a compliment when people fail to clock her as trans.

If you want to skip the drama and get straight to the relevant debate points, starting at this timestamp will help (let's see if xenforo supports timestamp embed. If not, scrub to 18m47s.)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Based on conversations I've had with people who gender non-binary or fluid or otherwise questioning, it doesn't surprise me that many of them would at least go through periods of identifying as trans. Our society has traditionally been very unconfortable with folks who don't conform to the gender or sex binaries, and it's easier to fit into that binary socially if you explain that you're one gender or the other, or taking steps to transition, or doing everything you can to at least "look" like one sex or another, etc. We are uncomfortable with people who simply don't fit our preconceived mold of how people should be.

I hope we can get to a place in society where we recognize that most people fit into and are comfortable within the binary, but some people aren't - and there's not a thing wrong with that. It's simply different. Third genders have been recognized by a variety of cultures historically around the globe and have been integrated and accepted into their societies.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Right. And she takes it as a compliment when people fail to clock her as trans.

If you want to skip the drama and get straight to the relevant debate points, starting at this timestamp will help (let's see if xenforo supports timestamp embed. If not, scrub to 18m47s.)
What I've seen so far doesn't make me want to watch all of it. I skipped to your timestamp and she's already misrepresenting what people are saying, as well as being patronizing ("eww, you're using an old term, you're old and outdated!" is her attitude). She also made incorrect generalizations about transsexual people. I was never confused about my "gender". I was always male in my mind. I simply didn't know how to express it clearly or that I could be a man. I was never androgynous or tried to be, anyway.

This person is off in the far-left fringes, and that does not interest me at all. She's just repeating rhetoric and the very format of the video is a lecture. No, thanks.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I totally reject what is called 'gender theory', the attempt to downplay biological sex differences and the push for a 'gender-fluid' society, all of which are very popular among young urban people who identify as trans in some way.
Explain your definition of gender theory and how it downplays biological differences. Not trying to debate just trying to understand your view.

Edit:I am tired. I am blanking on the term. I recoginize it tho.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"eww, you're using an old term, you're old and outdated!
Using deprecated terms gets jokes. *shrug*
She also made incorrect generalizations about transsexual people. I was never confused about my "gender"
Virtually all =/= all. She's saying most trans go through a gender questioning and androgynous stage which is true in my experience with the trans friends I have. Though I trust her to have a lot more experience within the trans community than I do.
This person is off in the far-left fringes, and that does not interest me at all. She's just repeating rhetoric and the very format of the video is a lecture. No, thanks.
Which I think would mean about as much to her as if someone said 'you've just got cisnormative ideas which comes with internalized transphobia' but to each their own.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Explain your definition of gender theory and how it downplays biological differences. Not trying to debate just trying to understand your view.

Edit:do you mean gender studies...I got confused I think by the word theory. If that is the case my question is irrelevant.
Actually, I should be more clear. It's critical gender theory I'm opposed to. It's an attempt to critique and deconstruct the normative Western culture view of gender. It's the same as critical race theory but applied to sex and gender, basically. It is mostly found in the gender studies departments of colleges but also elsewhere.