• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cross

Thief

Rogue Theologian
this thread was inspired by a post by .... @It Aint Necessarily So

I wear a ring that I made having a cross engraved into it
a simple signet
the carving painted black

I wear it to remind me....
crucifixion can be dealt unto anyone

such is this world

I suppose I could expand on that .....

tempt me to do so

Earthling

David Henson
this thread was inspired by a post by .... @It Aint Necessarily So

I wear a ring that I made having a cross engraved into it
a simple signet
the carving painted black

I wear it to remind me....
crucifixion can be dealt unto anyone

such is this world

I suppose I could expand on that .....

tempt me to do so

Okey dokey. You wear an idol, a Roman phallic symbol. A representation of a male sex organ, the penis. On your hand.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Okey dokey. You wear an idol, a Roman phallic symbol. A representation of a male sex organ, the penis. On your hand.

I don't (or can't) wear rings for personal and professional reasons, but now I'm starting to suffer a little signet envy...

Maximilian

Energetic proclaimer of Jehovah God's Kingdom.
The cross is the symbol of death which is why it's so common at graveyards.

Earthling

David Henson
I don't (or can't) wear rings for personal and professional reasons, but now I'm starting to suffer a little signet envy...

The Roman fertility symbol is extremely popular. You can wear a necklace, earrings, bracelets, anklets, tee shirts, stick pins, cuff links, or decorate your home with trinkets, amulets, paintings, statues, carvings etc.

Last edited:

Earthling

David Henson
The cross is the symbol of death which is why it's so common at graveyards.

The cross has nothing to do with death. It's a fertility symbol. A phallic symbol. It comes in many shapes, X, T, t, I and various more sophisticated shapes. It's the mystic Tau from the Sumerian deified king Tammuz mentioned in Ezekiel 8. He pretty much first used the t shaped cross, mentioned in Ezekiel 8 as a filthy or dungy idol. The Romans didn't use the t shaped cross until after Christ, who died on the Hebrew torture stake. Not a Roman cross, which was only popularized much later with the Emperor Constantine.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The Romans didn't use the t shaped cross until after Christ, who died on the Hebrew torture stake. Not a Roman cross, which was only popularized much later with the Emperor Constantine.
and you have reference for this?

Earthling

David Henson
and you have reference for this?

Actually, specifically, no. I used to have a reference that explained that the Romans started out with a simple one piece pole and it became more sophisticated from that to various shapes, like the X, T, then t. But I can't find it. What I do have is this: The Imperial Bible-Dictionary says that the word staurosʹ “properly signified a stake, an upright pole, or piece of paling, on which anything might be hung, or which might be used in impaling a piece of ground. . . .Even amongst the Romans the crux (Latin, from which our cross is derived) appears to have been originally an upright pole.”

The Catholic Encyclopedia
states: “Certain it is, at any rate, that the cross originally consisted of a simple vertical pole, sharpened at its upper end.”

There's a lot of confusion on several levels. First, the Greek word stauros and the Latin crux can mean a simple stake or, later various other shapes. Second, the term crucifixion is often thought to mean hung on a cross, when actually it meant attached to something, like a tree, a pole, a cross, or even, like Prometheus, the ground or rocks.

Also, the symbol of the cross was used long before Romans and Christ came along. But not necessarily used as an implement of death. You have to ask yourself, why would a troop of Roman soldiers, usually traveling in rocky terrain where trees were sparse, use two pieces of lumber to execute usually more than one person when a single piece or tree would suffice?

In the case of Jesus' death, whom the Jews obviously had some control over, which is indicated by their habit of breaking the legs of the victim so as to avoid a Sabbath, would obviously object to a phallic symbol as a means of punishment.

But ultimately it is Peter and Paul's use of the Greek word xylon in application to Jesus' death because this word, unlike stauros and crux, can only be used for a single piece upright pole as was the Jewish custom.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The cross has nothing to do with death. It's a fertility symbol. A phallic symbol. It comes in many shapes, X, T, t, I and various more sophisticated shapes. It's the mystic Tau from the Sumerian deified king Tammuz mentioned in Ezekiel 8. He pretty much first used the t shaped cross, mentioned in Ezekiel 8 as a filthy or dungy idol. The Romans didn't use the t shaped cross until after Christ, who died on the Hebrew torture stake. Not a Roman cross, which was only popularized much later with the Emperor Constantine.
All of that may be true.

BUT those that wear a cross today wear it to remind them of Jesus.

I'm not a Christian, but THAT at least is obvious to me.

Earthling

David Henson
All of that may be true.

BUT those that wear a cross today wear it to remind them of Jesus.

I'm not a Christian, but THAT at least is obvious to me.

That's nonsense. No one needs an ancient Sumerian / Roman phallic symbol that had nothing to do with Jesus until 400 years after his death to remind them of Jesus. They are not interested in Jesus they are interested in traditions of men.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That's nonsense. No one needs an ancient Sumerian / Roman phallic symbol that had nothing to do with Jesus until 400 years after his death to remind them of Jesus. They are not interested in Jesus they are interested in traditions of men.
that is nonsense.....touche'

yeah...I made the ring and I wear it to remind me....
this world will crucify.....ANYONE

and heaven stood silent

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The cross is:
A star
The sun
Can be the christian resurrection symbol
& other meanings.

All of these symbols are relevant to 'christians' . So, it has more than one meaning.

Has meaning to non Christians too.

Last edited:

Earthling

David Henson
that is nonsense.....touche'

yeah...I made the ring and I wear it to remind me....
this world will crucify.....ANYONE

and heaven stood silent

You could have made it a noose or an electric chair. A firing squad or guillotine.These would be more challenging. Someone being stoned to death. You could have a complete line of all the "cross" shapes. The Egyptian ankh, the X, T and the upright pole like Jesus was murdered upon. Then, actually, you could have an entire set with all of the various sentimental devises of death. Iron Maiden, all the **** from the crusades and inquisitions.

May be a lucrative career in murderous themed jewelry. If it hasn't already been done. I have a battle axe ear ring from hot topic that weighs about a pound. Cheap kid's stuff.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
If that's what you honestly believe, then there is no sense in me having a discussion with you, since you are not in touch with why Christians wear crosses. You would rather impose your own beliefs onto their motivations than actually listen to what they have to say. That in my book is a fundamental sort of dishonesty that ruins all chances at dialogue.

Earthling

David Henson
If that's what you honestly believe, then there is no sense in me having a discussion with you, since you are not in touch with why Christians wear crosses. You would rather impose your own beliefs onto their motivations than actually listen to what they have to say. That in my book is a fundamental sort of dishonesty that ruins all chances at dialogue.

I'm more interested in what they are than why they wear them.

Earthling

David Henson
You can't divorce the two questions, given that a cross is essentially a symbol. It's meaning is solely derived from that given it by its wearer.

That doesn't negate it's meaning for thousands of years prior to that, and it's meaning to the apostate church upon it's adoption, not to mention it's actual meaning.

So, you have a fertility symbol, a phallic symbol, you have it's actual meaning as an implement of shameful execution, which is actually historically incorrect, then it's adoption by the church to appease the pagan which speaks of a watering down or transmogrification of the original teachings, concluding in a remembrance, but it's just an idol.

For you to say that it's meaning is solely derived from that given it by its wearer is like doing the same to the golden calf. From a logical perspective it's nonsensical to suggest that it would be normal to adopt a symbol of the implement of death of a loved one.