• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The cross= a negative symbol?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
When I was younger, I never associated the cross, truly, with the torture device used for killing people. It was just the Christian symbol, and that was that. Pretty separated in my mind.

But it does strike me as strange now that this symbol of love and hope actually derived from the shape of this torture device. I like the fish better.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
When I was younger, I never associated the cross, truly, with the torture device used for killing people. It was just the Christian symbol, and that was that. Pretty separated in my mind.

But it does strike me as strange now that this symbol of love and hope actually derived from the shape of this torture device. I like the fish better.

Yep, I think the crucifix is the most graphic representation of the cross, though I understand the reasoning behind it's symbolic use

cataway

23 Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshipers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for, indeed, the Father is looking for suchlike ones to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth."

what does it mean to worship in spirit ? could is mean not to have any thing before your eyes ? as in a symbol of some thing ?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
and how many days out of the year do you worship with out it ?
How many days a year to you worship without clothes on? Does that mean clothes are an idol? I think I just proved that we should be worshiping naked! :eek:

cataway

How many days a year to you worship without clothes on? Does that mean clothes are an idol? I think I just proved that we should be worshiping naked! :eek:
at the moment i do not know of any scripture which would have God to reject your worship of him if your were / are naked . how ever there are several that show how bad a thing it is to use idols in worship .

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
at the moment i do not know of any scripture which would have God to reject your worship of him if your were / are naked . how ever there are several that show how bad a thing it is to use idols in worship .

If the only thing you have to prove that the cross is an idol is that people wear it when they go to worship, then that's not much to go on. That was the point. :yes:

cataway

wear it ? not only do they wear it they hold it, they look to it as if it has power. its even as if they were not holding it they would not be heard by God.
do you not know that christians are to be free of all idols ?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
wear it ? not only do they wear it they hold it, they look to it as if it has power. its even as if they were not holding it they would not be heard by God.
do you not know that christians are to be free of all idols ?
"as if" or do they really think that? For it to be an idol, you'd have to show that Christians think they can pray to the cross and the cross itself answers their prayers. Using the cross for focusing one's thoughts, or wearing it to display your allegiance, doesn't make it an idol.