• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The craziness of a few trees in a garden and free will.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Does free will even apply to the Garden of Eden in the story of Adam and Eve?

Just a story of how man came to know of good and bad. Unlike animals who have no knowledge of good and bad.

According to the serpent, the fruit would make Eve wise, like God knowing right from wrong. After eating the fruit they knew nakedness was wrong.

It goes on to explain a lot. Why man has to work to survive, whereas animals just live off the land. Why serpent are "evil" they sneak up on you and strike. Why giving birth is painful. Why man dies. This was all a curse put on man by God for obtaining wisdom.

I not know it it really has much to do with free will. I suspect this meaning was added at a later time to fit a theological narrative.

Man gained/stole wisdom for whatever reason God did want him to have. God cursed him for it and barred man from the secret of immortality.

I kind of doubt that God was conceived of as all knowing when the story was written so conflicts with theological narratives written later.