• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The core of LHP

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
The function of religion is to bind a community together by means of shared cultural experiences. These include shared history, legends and myths about the origin of the group and their environment (creation myths), stories about founders and culture heroes, laws and social customs, and spiritual practices.
Well, thank you for enlightening us.

I've asked in this forum before for examples of individuals who have either achieved perfect personal segregation or perfect personal integration with the universe, so I am asking...again.
Why?

There are religious documents which number the choirs of angels, and the the number is taught as doctrine. This does not mean that the function of religion is to count correctly the number of classifications of imaginary beings. Or conversely to deny that angels exist.
Well I'm glad you cleared that up.

Anything else?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I've asked in this forum before for examples of individuals who have either achieved perfect personal segregation or perfect personal integration with the universe, so I am asking...again.

That which I call Set, the First Principle of Isolate Intelligence, is a good example of one who has achieved perfect personal separation from the Laws of the Order of the Cosmos.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Kori Houghton

Restricted
That which I call Set, the First Principle of Isolate Intelligence, is a good example of one who has achieved perfect personal separation from the Laws of the Order of the Cosmos.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Thanks. I'll file that one in the same category as the number of, and names for, the choirs of angels. In other words, an example of a religious doctrine, which says nothing universal about the function of religion among humans, LHP or RHP or any other path.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Thanks. I'll file that one in the same category as the number of, and names for, the choirs of angels. In other words, an example of a religious doctrine, which says nothing universal about the function of religion among humans, LHP or RHP or any other path.

Huh? :areyoucra

Kori Houghton

Restricted
Huh? :areyoucra

You commented on my reply to ScottySatan's post:
"I think the bedrock of it is an ancient distinction of the functions of religion. One is to achieve perfect personal integration with the universe (right), the other is to achieve perfect personal segregation from the universe (left). I agree with what others said here, but I claim that those are merely consequences or mechanisms of action on this one mother principle. "

I only know of one religion that has this distinction. So it is not a "mother principle" but a single case, an exception. Perfectly valid as a religious doctrine but it has no universal religious significance. That's all. ;)

ScottySatan

The function of religion is to bind a community together by means of shared cultural experiences. These include shared history, legends and myths about the origin of the group and their environment (creation myths), stories about founders and culture heroes, laws and social customs, and spiritual practices.

The function of religion is to bind a community together for you and to educated third parties. But if you ask a truly faithful person, the purpose of their religion is not about living a better life on this world, it boils down to one of those two things I mentioned before.

I'm only a very casual religious scholar and I think I can partially answer your challenge, which makes me think there's some misunderstanding going on with your past experiences.

THe closest to perfect personal integration was achieved by the Buddha. The closest to perfect personal segregation was achieved by LHP masters like LaVey and Crowley.

Keep in mind that THIS IS MYTHOLOGY. Anyone who achieves either religious pinnacle is going to be an inconclusive historical artefact due to their rarity, strangeness, and evasion of the ignorant masses.

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
THe closest to perfect personal integration was achieved by the Buddha. The closest to perfect personal segregation was achieved by LHP masters like LaVey and Crowley.

Keep in mind that THIS IS MYTHOLOGY. Anyone who achieves either religious pinnacle is going to be an inconclusive historical artefact due to their rarity, strangeness, and evasion of the ignorant masses.

I agree with this, other lords of the LHP who have attained the highest degree of perfect personal separation from the Universe in their lifetime on Earth would also be Ipsissimus Michael Aquino, Ips. James Lewis, Ips. Don Webb, and Ips. Stephen Flowers.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Last edited:

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
I agree with this, other lords of the LHP who have attained the highest degree of perfect personal separation from the Universe in their lifetime on Earth would also be Ipsissimus Michael Aquino, Ips. James Lewis, Ips. Don Webb, and Ips. Stephen Flowers.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

What leads you to make such a statement? How do you know these individuals have attained the 'highest degree of perfect personal seperation from the universe in their lifetime on earth'?
And 'highest' in relation to what? In relation to others? In relation to what is possible? :shrug:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
What leads you to make such a statement? How do you know these individuals have attained the 'highest degree of perfect personal seperation from the universe in their lifetime on earth'?
And 'highest' in relation to what? In relation to others? In relation to what is possible? :shrug:

NIX, I cannot answer those questions for you, I suggest the best way for you to find the answers to your questions is to answer them yourself. The best way to do this is for you to actually join the Temple of Set and Initiate your Self in the wonder and glory that is the Path of Xeper. It's up to You. ;) However, I do not mean to say that an individual cannot attain perfect personal seperation on their own without being an Initiate of the Temple of Set. It's just that I peronsally recognise those indiviuals mentioned because I know of them.

Xeper and Remanifest.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Last edited:
Reactions: NIX

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Self-deification, embracing our animal nature, partaking in the taboo/freeing oneself from cultural demands and expectations, and shaping your own destiny rather than looking towards and external source to tell you what you should be.
IMO, everything beyond that is of personal relevance. Some people put deities and religious orders as a priority, some people have rituals, myself I put soaking up knowledge and attaining wisdom high on the list, some people put pleasing the flesh high on the list. It just depends on the person and what particular denomination is followed, if any.

Kori Houghton

Restricted
The function of religion is to bind a community together for you and to educated third parties. But if you ask a truly faithful person, the purpose of their religion is not about living a better life on this world, it boils down to one of those two things I mentioned before.

I'm only a very casual religious scholar and I think I can partially answer your challenge, which makes me think there's some misunderstanding going on with your past experiences.

I agree that if you focus on the two proselytizing religions based in part on the Old Testament and Buddhism, religion can seem like it is about what happens after death. It's the contrast James C. Russell makes between world-accepting and world-rejecting religions in THE GERMANIZATION OF EARLY MEDIEVAL CHRISTIANITY. You seem to be making a distinction here between two types of world-rejecting religions, where world could mean the OU.

Dunno how much evasion of the masses is happening when you can see these mythological rarities on teevee chat shows and find their books in chain media stores.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
NIX, I cannot answer those questions for you, I suggest the best way for you to find the answers to your questions is to answer them yourself. The best way to do this is for you to actually join the Temple of Set and Initiate your Self in the wonder and glory that is the Path of Xeper. It's up to You. ;) However, I do not mean to say that an individual cannot attain perfect personal seperation on their own without being an Initiate of the Temple of Set. It's just that I peronsally recognise those indiviuals mentioned because I know of them.

Xeper and Remanifest.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Thank you for the clarification. You did actually answer my question. :cover: (well enough anyway)

ScottySatan

We're talking about goals of religion here, and the opinions of the practitioners of the religions. Those mentioned are the heroes of these religions who have been idealised. Whether perfection was achieved is historically not as relevant to the LHP person as the buddhist. However the hero worship of both sides is similar, so I think parallels are fair.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
It just depends on the person and what particular denomination is followed, if any.

I've never cared much for the term "denomination" when discussing different sects of the LHP be it ToS or CoS or what ever. Denomination has too much of a christian connotation to it. For me "sect" is more appropriate to the LHP and other Magical groups. Of course, use what ever lango you find best. :D Just one man's opinion.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

jasonwill2

Basically the core of the LHP is about the self, or the individual in question. However there can be many different distinctions, but I have noticed that Individual v.s. collective seems to be the biggest divide of the LHP and RHP. You can add a lot more to that, but essentially that is the very root of it in my opinion

In the LHP you follow no dogma but your own, and follow your own path and goals. In the RHP, you follow some agreed upon set of beliefs, and follow a path already walked/set for you, and pursue goals that either others approve of, or that are laid-out by your mutually agreed beliefs with others.

In the RHP, you most compromise some of your individuality to have that religion as part of your identity either by rules or the nature of the religion. In the LHP, you do not.