• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The core of LHP

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
"Do what thou wilt" seems to sum it up, but then again that's more of an observation, not a statement of intent.

Polarbear

You, maybe, depends.

So the self is the most important thing?

"Do what thou wilt" seems to sum it up, but then again that's more of an observation, not a statement of intent.

Isn't the statement "Do what thou wilt" founded on the idea of a good inner nature in humanity, called ones "will" that will always guide you in the right direction? (According to Alistair Crowley anyway) How is that LHP? Sounds RHP to me.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Isn't the statement "Do what thou wilt" founded on the idea of a good inner nature in humanity, called ones "will" that will always guide you in the right direction? (According to Alistair Crowley anyway) How is that LHP? Sounds RHP to me.
Wouldn't know. Crowley always seemed like a loser to me. "Do what thou wilt" to me means just that: do what you will. You'll do it anyway, so why not make that the core of your existence?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
What does unselfishness mean to you? It seems to imply some sort of denial of the self though.

I don't know, I might be using the wrong word but I figured from the "un" that it means not selfless and not selfish, moderately both. Not a slave to anyone or anything (including a God), not a slave to yourself.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Most of what I would say to you is something I've already typed in another post - read this first. :p

The Left Hand Path Sorted By Predominate Belief

Crowley for all his antics had very RHP goals to all of this actions and is a poor example of the LHP. You will find more selfishness near the symbolic Satanist area of that link mostly because they believe what you have in life 'is it' so therefore it becomes about acquiring useless junk, immediate gratification (despite addictive or malignant behaviors), and the like. For the rest of us quibbling over a few scraps at the table isn't worth the time we have larger concerns. :)

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
The core of the Left-Hand Path is perfect freedom. Another name for the Black Magician could be One Without Master. To quote from the "Statement of Belial" from The Diabolicon:

"To those who would dare the Black Magic - Know that what ye accept is the very mastery of all that ye have supposed impossible, by force of Will alone. The Black Magus need fear no power save his own, but he must conquer his own Will that he cause not his destruction through ill chance or purpose. Satan himself is not God, and Hell can offer no salvation to those who abuse the Gift of Satan."

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Orias

Left Hand Path
The core of the Left-Hand Path is perfect freedom. Another name for the Black Magician could be One Without Master. To quote from the "Statement of Belial" from The Diabolicon:

"To those who would dare the Black Magic - Know that what ye accept is the very mastery of all that ye have supposed impossible, by force of Will alone. The Black Magus need fear no power save his own, but he must conquer his own Will that he cause not his destruction through ill chance or purpose. Satan himself is not God, and Hell can offer no salvation to those who abuse the Gift of Satan."

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

:clap

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I'd say the core is knowledge. Both of the internal and external (as above, so below in reference to your other thread). Without knowledge there would be no evolution, and the LHP is a step ahead in "spiritual" evolution. What comes with that is the ability to accept truth. This is not a path about comfort in most cases.

ScottySatan

I think the bedrock of it is an ancient distinction of the functions of religion. One is to achieve perfect personal integration with the universe (right), the other is to achieve perfect personal segregation from the universe (left). I agree with what others said here, but I claim that those are merely consequences or mechanisms of action on this one mother principle.

Last edited:

Kori Houghton

Restricted
I think the bedrock of it is an ancient distinction of the functions of religion. One is to achieve perfect personal integration with the universe (right), the other is to achieve perfect personal segregation from the universe (left). I agree with what others said here, but I claim that those are merely consequences or mechanisms of action on this one mother principle.

The function of religion is to bind a community together by means of shared cultural experiences. These include shared history, legends and myths about the origin of the group and their environment (creation myths), stories about founders and culture heroes, laws and social customs, and spiritual practices.

I've asked in this forum before for examples of individuals who have either achieved perfect personal segregation or perfect personal integration with the universe, so I am asking...again.

There are religious documents which number the choirs of angels, and the the number is taught as doctrine. This does not mean that the function of religion is to count correctly the number of classifications of imaginary beings. Or conversely to deny that angels exist.