• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The concept of God in Western thought

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
From Teleological Arguments For God's Existence: "The mind in question, being prior to nature itself, is typically taken to be supernatural."

I really like that, taken both in context and out of context! :cool:

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
People would do well to read your second reference and actually try to understand it.
The only problem is that it tends to further the error that teleology connected to "God" belief is somehow ontological in scope, distracting from the fact that teleology necessarily points to the belief state of the observer and the function of the observer's own mental process in making judgments about "design." It's at that latter level that these design and "First Cause" arguments fall apart.

Malach1

You know angelous the concept of God, Gods or a god is not a matter of philosophy but one of religion-
Scientificly- if there is a "GOD' we are not aware of "GOD"

A

angellous_evangellous

You know angelous the concept of God, Gods or a god is not a matter of philosophy but one of religion-
Scientificly- if there is a "GOD' we are not aware of "GOD"

The question of God is and has been a philosophical question since the beginning of philosophy.

Malach1

Then Philosophy is a vain thing and I will have no part of it- For how can man reason about that which he is not aware of- tell me angelous

A

angellous_evangellous

Then Philosophy is a vain thing and I will have no part of it- For how can man reason about that which he is not aware of- tell me angelous

That almost goes without saying...

If you had read the links that I had provided, and understood them, you might have posted something more insightful.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;983912 said:
The only problem is that it tends to further the error that teleology connected to "God" belief is somehow ontological in scope, distracting from the fact that teleology necessarily points to the belief state of the observer and the function of the observer's own mental process in making judgments about "design." It's at that latter level that these design and "First Cause" arguments fall apart.

Existentialist coated existentialism with existentialist filling. :D

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass

All is vanity, dude - including "religion." You'd know that if you studied philosophy (even as much of it as can be gleaned from reading the Bible).

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;983941 said:
Yum. And you can wash it down with cup of coffee. No need to say "existentialist coffee" because all coffee is existentialist.

I'm going to go lay down on my lawn and look at the clouds.:yes:

Malach1

Religion is vain to but God is its greatest creation- and if the Collective Anima of world consciousness believes in a God or a being like a God- then this creation has purpose I cannot say the same of Philosophy

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;983970 said:
But if you don't reward good behavior, it won't be repeated.

Even if it's an accident? :biglaugh: