• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cholesterol and Fat Scam

apophenia

Are you one of those people who have been fooled into believing that you must limit cholesterol intake ?

Do you believe that cholesterol causes heart problems ?

Do you take statins, or avoid eggs ?

Do you think that saturated fats increase the likelihood of heart disease ?

You have been lied to.

The data was faked in the first place.

Eat eggs, butter and cream. They are good for you.

Nearly every cell in your body produces cholesterol, and the amount in your diet has no significant influence on the amount in your blood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Me Myself

Back to my username
I understand there is good cholesterol and bad cholesterol. My nutritionist confirmed so too.

If you think differently, understand that I would appreciate sources :p

psychoslice

Veteran Member
But there still is the bad cholesterol and the good cholesterol, of course too much of the bad is going to cause problems, and yes cholesterol is good for the body, but only the good cholesterol.

apophenia

I included saturated fat in the OP because it is also a huge diet scam with no scientific basis.
Well , that's what I just learned on TV. ;)

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I included saturated fat in the OP because it is also a huge diet scam with no scientific basis.
Well , that's what I just learned on TV. ;)

Why do you think there are so many fat people walking or trying to walk around these days, just take a look at their diet, eating all that takeaway crap which is usually full of saturated fats.

apophenia

But there still is the bad cholesterol and the good cholesterol, of course too much of the bad is going to cause problems, and yes cholesterol is good for the body, but only the good cholesterol.

That has been the story for a long time now. It is rubbish apparently.

Oxidized cholesterol is unhealthy. But the good vs bad cholesterol story is bunk.
But I'm posting from a phone, which sucks, do this is all for now.

psychoslice

Veteran Member

Oxidized cholesterol is unhealthy. But the good vs bad cholesterol story is bunk.

Well I will certainly stick to what I know thanks.

apophenia

Why do you think there are so many fat people walking or trying to walk around these days, just take a look at their diet, eating all that takeaway crap which is usually full of saturated fats.

No, sugar is the real problem for most people.

apophenia

Yes i agree, sugar is bad, and mixed with the wrong fats its even worse.

Saturated fats have no double bonds, so do not form free radicals as unsaturated fats do.
Free radicals cause inflammation, and this is extremely unhealthy. What is the problem with saturated fats ?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Saturated fats have no double bonds, so do not form free radicals as unsaturated fats do.
Free radicals cause inflammation, and this is extremely unhealthy. What is the problem with saturated fats ?

I don't really think that saturated fats are all bad, its the amount you eat, the trouble today we eat far too much of it, and that's where the problem lies.

apophenia

I don't really think that saturated fats are all bad, its the amount you eat, the trouble today we eat far too much of it, and that's where the problem lies.

You are in Australia. Watch last weeks episode of Catalyst on
the ABC, it's on iView. It continues this week.
We have all been conned bigtime.

HonestJoe

The statement that "the data has been faked" is a pretty major (if unspecific) accusation. You need a lot more information to back that up.

Mainstream reporting of stuff like this does get grossly over-simplified and can be misrepresented, intentionally or not, in that process. I suspect what triggered your post was simplified reporting of some relatively recent research which it is claimed turns on it's head everything we previously thought about fat in our diets. I've personally not seem anything that actually demonstrates that, only news articles which claim it does and I very much doubt a single piece of research could do so alone.

apophenia

The statement that "the data has been faked" is a pretty major (if unspecific) accusation. You need a lot more information to back that up.

Mainstream reporting of stuff like this does get grossly over-simplified and can be misrepresented, intentionally or not, in that process. I suspect what triggered your post was simplified reporting of some relatively recent research which it is claimed turns on it's head everything we previously thought about fat in our diets. I've personally not seem anything that actually demonstrates that, only news articles which claim it does and I very much doubt a single piece of research could do so alone.

The evidence is overwhelming. The original data correlating cholesterol and heart disease was bogus. More detail when I can get to a real keyboard. Tomorrow.

apophenia

Btw. ... Anti-cholesterol drugs are the biggest sellers in medical history.

Science, and scientists, can be bought.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
My main issue isn't with who's right or wrong, but the fact that each person's body is different, and requires different things. One person can eat the tiniest amount of cholesterol and saturated fat, and automatically have problems, while some other person can eat and eat and eat those things, and never have an issue. The problem is that medical science, like psychology, is relative, not absolute. You hear stories of people living to over a hundred years of age, and when asked about their lifestyle, will says things like "I drank alcohol and smoked two packs a day, ate nothing but red meat and pork, and never exercised", while apparently healthy people, who eat "right" and get plenty of exercise, drop dead at a young age. It all depends on the individual, and there's nothing in regards to this topic that is absolute or universal.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
You are in Australia. Watch last weeks episode of Catalyst on
the ABC, it's on iView. It continues this week.
We have all been conned bigtime.

Yes I'll try and find it, sounds interesting, its just that there is so many claims out there, one doesn't know what to believe, this is why I stick to the middle way.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Are you one of those people who have been fooled into believing that you must limit cholesterol intake ?

Do you believe that cholesterol causes heart problems ?

Do you take statins, or avoid eggs ?

Do you think that saturated fats increase the likelihood of heart disease ?

You have been lied to.

The data was faked in the first place.

Eat eggs, butter and cream. They are good for you.

Nearly every cell in your body produces cholesterol, and the amount in your diet has no significant influence on the amount in your blood.

Yes! It was one British front pages over the weekend. After 40 years of 'No saturated fats' etc, scientists are changing their minds.

And the problems that statins are alleged to cause throw their benefits (for many patients) into doubt.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

Count me in as a skeptic.

I am a medical laboratory technician. In order to maintain my certification, we have to get so many "continuing education credits". It just so happened that I recently took a short online course regarding lipid (cholesterol) testing. It was a nice refresher on all the various types of lipids and their functions.

Here is the overview:
Chylomicrons transport dietary lipids from the intestines to liver, adipose, cardiac, and muscle tissue, where the triglyceride content is unloaded by the activity of lipoprotein lipase. The lipid content of chylomicrons is primarily triglycerides.

VLDLs are produced by the liver, and their primary function is to supply free fatty acids to tissues. The predominate lipid content in this lipoprotein is triglycerides. VLDLs and chylomicrons can be thought of as the fasting and postprandial energy sources for the body.

LDLs are produced by the action of lipase, the enzyme that hydrolyses
the triglycerides carried on VLDL, removing triglycerides and releasing the free fatty acids. Cholesterol is the primary lipid in LDL.

/snipped out some unnecessary info/

HDL is a protector against atherosclerosis because it
carries cholesterol from cells to the liver for disposal. It is also anti-inflammatory and can protect LDL cholesterol (LDL-C) from oxidation.

Population studies and clinical trials of patients on statin therapy have demonstrated a strong inverse relationship between HDL cholesterol (HDL-C) levels and coronary heart disease (CHD) risk.1

Thus "LDL" is considered to be the "bad cholesterol" and "HDL" is considered to be the "good cholesterol".

And here is why and how high LDL increases your risk for heart disease:

LDL particles and cholesterol play a critical role in atherogenesis. LDL particles are small enough to enter the intima, the innermost lining of the arterial wall. High levels of LDL particles translate into a dose-related increase in transport of the LDL-C component into the intima. The cells in the arterial wall have no ability to metabolize cholesterol. In addition, LDL-C may become trapped by binding with proteoglycans, making LDL-C more susceptible to the processes involved in the formation of plaque.
Oxidation, a primary process involved in plaque formation, stimulates inflammation, which attracts monocytes into the arterial wall. The monocytes differentiate into macrophages and scavenge the modified LDL. As time passes, the LDL-macrophage complex transforms into foam cells, leading to plaque formation.1,

In addition, the cholesterol component of VLDL's (known as IDL) is small enough to do the same thing as LDL. Because triglycerides are the primary lipid in VLDL's, a high triglyceride result would indicate high presence of VLDL's, and therefore, an increased risk of cholesterol getting into your heart and causing plaque formation.