• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Buddha's fourth sign

Spiderman

Veteran Member
You might wish to consider joining a Buddhist monastery to become a bhikkhu (fullly fledged monk) or an angarika (partial monastic), if - one day - you are serious about the Buddhist path. There is no obligation to become a monastic for a lifetime; some monks and nuns disrobe after some time, and it is not looked down upon (at least in the early Buddhist traditions that I'm aware of).
I've lived at three Catholic monasteries and it was a great way of life, with the exception of the belief that we are doing penance to save souls from hell. The constant visions of hell drove me nuts.

Do Buddhists believe in a place of suffering that never ends? I simply can't embrace a belief so incredibly depressing and disgusting.

In a Buddhist Monastery would I be able to keep some of my Catholic devotions like the Rosary and prayers to the deceased?

buddhist

I've lived at three Catholic monasteries and it was a great way of life, with the exception of the belief that we are doing penance to save souls from hell. The constant visions of hell drove me nuts.

Do Buddhists believe in a place of suffering that never ends? I simply can't embrace a belief so incredibly depressing and disgusting.
There are various levels of hells taught in early Buddhism, but those who go there don't go there eternally; they only stay there until their negative kamma which brought them there runs out.

In a Buddhist Monastery would I be able to keep some of my Catholic devotions like the Rosary and prayers to the deceased?
Sure! The basic operating philosophy is that anything can be done which helps you to gain skillful states of mind, and which causes no harm to yourself or others.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
There are various levels of hells taught in early Buddhism, but those who go there don't go there eternally; they only stay there until their negative kamma which brought them there runs out.

Sure! The basic operating philosophy is that anything can be done which helps you to gain skillful states of mind, and which causes no harm to yourself or others.
Sounds like the perfect life for me :) My Catholic Father will want to kill me. lol

Their idea of Hell is beautiful!