• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Buddha's fourth sign

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I was going through my notebook and came across "The Buddha's fourth sign was a man in a robe wandering and begging. He gave up everything to wander, beg, and seek answers to this miserable existence."

I found a lot of consolation in that. The lifestyle of the wanderer appealed to me. I don't really have anything to renounce, just a few pictures, extra clothes, some candles, and some notebooks lol. I think I'm gonna just wander, beg, and seek answers and enlightenment. I find that the more possessions I have, the more anxieties and stress there is.

So, I've prayed and prayed to God for answers about what my vocation is and God hasn't really given any. Maybe this is it. I listen to my heart and it tells me to own nothing and become a wanderer who does nothing but seek answers, understanding, wisdom, and enlightenment. I don't think my probation officer will be too pleased with my decision and it won't make mom and Dad proud, but oh well. Does that lifestyle appeal to anyone else here?

a1885464955_10.jpg

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Have you ever seen Pulp Fiction?

Good Luck.
To the worldly, Buddha was a bum. However, if a person has integrity, they are living that way to dedicate themselves to prayer, meditation, and seeking answers and enlightenment. I'm just seeking God's will, so I have nothing to fear on judgement day. I understand that to the eyes of worldly people, I will just be a bum.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
To the worldly, Buddha was a bum. However, if a person has integrity, they are living that way to dedicate themselves to prayer, meditation, and seeking answers and enlightenment. I'm just seeking God's will, so I have nothing to fear on judgement day. I understand that to the eyes of worldly people, I will just be a bum.
Don't misunderstand me, I am more of a Jules than a Vincent myself. I just love that scene. Good Luck.

allfoak

Alchemist
It is not any harder to seek wisdom, understanding and enlightenment when one has money, than not.
There is wisdom, understanding and enlightenment to be found in all stations of life, rich, poor or anything in between.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It is not any harder to seek wisdom, understanding and enlightenment when one has money, than not.
There is wisdom, understanding and enlightenment to be found in all stations of life, rich, poor or anything in between.
For me when I have lots of distraction and responsibilities it becomes much much more difficult

buddhist

I find that the more possessions I have, the more anxieties and stress there is.
Yes, "less" is a core idea taught in Buddhism, which sets it apart from most other religions (they teach more is better, e.g. more wealth, more life, etc.).

The idea that less brings more bliss doesn't just cover detachment from material goods, however. It also involves detachment from lesser states of mind by reaching for higher states of mind through progressive detachment. Eventually, we realize directly for ourselves that the highest state of mind (nibbana) is the most blissful of them all.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yes, "less" is a core idea taught in Buddhism, which sets it apart from most other religions (they teach more is better, e.g. more wealth, more life, etc.).

The idea that less brings more bliss doesn't just cover detachment from material goods, however. It also involves detachment from lesser states of mind by reaching for higher states of mind through progressive detachment. Eventually, we realize directly for ourselves that the highest state of mind (nibbana) is the most blissful of them all.
Is it fairly obvious when we are attached to lower states of mind? Do you have a link of how to discern the lower states of mind?

I find more consolation when I study Buddhism than Christianity, so I just might be on the road to conversion.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I was going through my notebook and came across "The Buddha's fourth sign was a man in a robe wandering and begging. He gave up everything to wander, beg, and seek answers to this miserable existence."

I found a lot of consolation in that. The lifestyle of the wanderer appealed to me. I don't really have anything to renounce, just a few pictures, extra clothes, some candles, and some notebooks lol. I think I'm gonna just wander, beg, and seek answers and enlightenment. I find that the more possessions I have, the more anxieties and stress there is.

So, I've prayed and prayed to God for answers about what my vocation is and God hasn't really given any. Maybe this is it. I listen to my heart and it tells me to own nothing and become a wanderer who does nothing but seek answers, understanding, wisdom, and enlightenment. I don't think my probation officer will be too pleased with my decision and it won't make mom and Dad proud, but oh well. Does that lifestyle appeal to anyone else here?

a1885464955_10.jpg
I think internally you need to be free from attachment to the material world and events. Outwardly, you need real income and a decent place to live. Those two things are compatible.

buddhist

Is it fairly obvious when we are attached to lower states of mind? Do you have a link of how to discern the lower states of mind?
When we are attached to lower states of mind, our consciousness finds itself pulled every sort of way by the (lower) mind. It's like a man (consciousness) being pulled and forced to go where his dog (mind) wants to go by way of its leash. No doubt you've had such things like impulses to eat junk food (originating from the lower mind), but your consciousness says "I should eat healthy"?

We are called to train the lower mind, so the consciousness is back in full control, and the mind is obedient and quiet. The mind is then trained to think only what the consciousness wants to think, feel what it wants to feel, and to not think or feel when the consciousness chooses not to think or feel.

Discerning and detaching from the lower states of mind is essentially the whole of the path of Buddhism. I suggest starting with this book: With Each & Every Breath (pdf version, epub version), I also recommend the rest of Thanissaro Bhikkhu's books.

I find more consolation when I study Buddhism than Christianity, so I just might be on the road to conversion.
I agree, I felt the same way, which is why I converted to Buddhism, also from Christianity. It has taken a huge burden off my back (and mind!)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Do you mean that life gets in the way of living it?
When I'm able to dedicate myself entirely to prayer, meditation, and seeking enlightenment and answers, I have far more peace, greater states of consciousness, am more spiritual, more wisdom, and feel closer to God (and spirits) than when managing possessions, paying bills, owning a vehicle, worrying about a job etc.

I think some people are called to renounce everything and their work is to be their seeking, prayer, and meditation. I've prayed and prayed, and prayed to God incessantly about what my vocation is to be, what his will is, and this seems to be the final answer.

allfoak

Alchemist
When I'm able to dedicate myself entirely to prayer, meditation, and seeking enlightenment and answers, I have far more peace, greater states of consciousness, am more spiritual, more wisdom, and feel closer to God (and spirits) than when managing possessions, paying bills, owning a vehicle, worrying about a job etc.

I think some people are called to renounce everything and their work is to be their seeking, prayer, and meditation. I've prayed and prayed, and prayed to God incessantly about what my vocation is to be, what his will is, and this seems to be the final answer.
Then so be it!

George-ananda

Premium Member
Thank you! :) It's just the thought of responsibilities and possessions stresses me out and the thought of having nothing gives me peace
But nothing includes no food or shelter. I don't see that giving you peace.

Why don't you think you can manage a simple life?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
But nothing includes no food or shelter. I don't see that giving you peace.

Why don't you think you can manage a simple life?
I can get my food and shelter at the Dorothy day and Catholic Charities. I've been homeless before and slept outside and held a sign at street corners. It was humbling, peaceful, euphoric, spiritual, and brought me closer to enlightenment than when I had a job and worries.

All I need is a notebook to write down what my heart and the Holy Spirit, spirit-people, and angels are saying. Some people can't live like that, but it is the lifestyle that brought me the most joy.

When I was in college it brought so many worries that it killed my spirit and left me suicidal and full of blasphemies. Guess I'm a freak of nature! :D

George-ananda

Premium Member
I can get my food and shelter at the Dorothy day and Catholic Charities. I've been homeless before and slept outside and held a sign at street corners. It was humbling, peaceful, euphoric, spiritual, and brought me closer to enlightenment than when I had a job and worries.

All I need is a notebook to write down what my heart and the Holy Spirit, spirit-people, and angels are saying. Some people can't live like that, but it is the lifestyle that brought me the most joy.

When I was in college it brought so many worries that it killed my spirit and left me suicidal and full of blasphemies. Guess I'm a freak of nature! :D
Obviously, there is a lot more to your story than we can get into here. Best Wishes and hang in there. I have seen other posters here go from hopelessness and misery to a much better state. 'Waves come and go', is a hard thing to remember in tough times.

buddhist

You might wish to consider joining a Buddhist monastery to become a bhikkhu (fullly fledged monk) or an angarika (partial monastic), if - one day - you are serious about the Buddhist path. There is no obligation to become a monastic for a lifetime; some monks and nuns disrobe after some time, and it is not looked down upon (at least in the early Buddhist traditions that I'm aware of).