• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Buddha Explains Universal Mind

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Much of this thread parralls of what is esentially the same thing I had experienced in Christianity. A presentation centering around a false sense of linguistic and philosophical elitism offering that special understanding for those "ready".
No elitism....the proof of the pudding is in the eating...if you don not get it...it is because you have not been able to still your mind...lol

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If the universal mind exists then it simply becomes science, so why not work to show that it exists rationally through scientific principles and arguments? You're just assuming that it cant be scientifically analyzed or explained which is falose since that would require you to understand the limits of science , which you don't.

The reason why science is the best option is because of how reliable it is--it also creates concrete results and produces testable hypotheses. When you cant make prediction or have concrete experimental results, then your position is just as weak as any other un provable position. Science is the ONLY way to determine real theories out of the infinite number of unprovable assertions. So maybe you should explain how you know your approach is better than say the scientologists?

I mean scientologists and Christians and Muslims all say the same thing--put your baggage away to see this other path. I dont even know what quiet the monkey brain means or what the Big mind is. The big mind is what albert einstein did--he accessed centers of his brain that allowed him to visualize how elements of the universe acted together in multiple dimensions. The realization in the mind which can then be confirmed by observation is infinitely more profound and valuable than guesswork.

I wouldnt even know how to set aside "my baggage" since it allows me to not believe in things like alien abduction or Zeus or thor or apollo. I dont see how you dont believe in zeus for instance.

Quieting the monkey mind is not as abstruse as It may appear. It simply means conditioning yourself so that you can traverse a modicum of issues and problems in life without getting overly wound up through direct understanding and insight by which you see it for what it is. It also provides a venue for a clearer introspection as to what the direct nature of mind actually is as opposed to outright guessing and embellishment.
There should be no philosophical and metaphysical b.s. involved.

Baggage simply means anything that one typically dwells or holds onto unnecessarily that distracts or causes issues in one form or another. Setting aside makes for clarity so any nuances you may not have noticed before comes out of the "woodwork" as it were.

Nothing fancy as some may lead to think. Quite common in fact yet rather amazing in light as to what naturally comes to the surface.
The thread is about the universal mind....it has been explained that it is non-dual and thus beyond description using a dualistic approach....the onus is on the aspirant to seek the truth of it by developing a still mind...don't blame the messenger for your not getting it....lol

It's not a matter of "getting" it. Never was.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Much of this thread parralls of what is esentially the same thing I had experienced in Christianity. A presentation centering around a false sense of linguistic and philosophical elitism offering that special understanding for those "ready".

Hello. Are you listening? Hasn't it already been pointed out that the understanding is not special? That Reality itself has no special doctrine you must believe in? The vision afforded by Higher Consciousness is simply a reflection of what is. Nothing more; nothing less. The Buddha told us that we all have Buddha Mind. Nothing Special. It's not something you 'get'; it's something everyone already has, but the way in is not in acquisition of knowledge, but in shedding opinion, concept, conjecture, until all is clear. So why are you intent on making it a Big Deal, when it is not?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
This is not about religious tactics...it is about the One Mind....if you choose to believe there is none...no sweat...but to imagine there is some tactic to get you to believe, than you are mistaken....
Tactics are tactics no matter how you try to dress it.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
It's not a matter of "getting" it. Never was.
The only way the One Mind can be apprehended is through not being in space time...and it is this you do not get... So long as there is a you trying to understand...or not understand...seeking or not seeking...meditating or not meditating...you are as far from the One Mind as the day you were born... that you do not get yet....

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Indeed, and letting go of all this BS is an essential step along the way. How can a mind cluttered with beliefs, theories and jargon buzz-words hope to see things directly?
This language is more approaching the correct understanding.....but putting into practice is what is required...as the One Mind is not in space time... lol

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Tactics are tactics no matter how you try to dress it.
What tactics...it has been explained that there is not true teaching wrt the One Mind as the One Mind is not in space time..while reading and thinking is and thus useless... All that has been given in the way of instruction is that there is no instruction except stilling the mind...and that this is said only as an expedient as in the finger point at the moon...but it's the moon stupid!

psychoslice

Veteran Member
What tactics...it has been explained that there is not true teaching wrt the One Mind as the One Mind is not in space time..while reading and thinking is and thus useless... All that has been given in the way of instruction is that there is no instruction except stilling the mind...and that this is said only as an expedient as in the finger point at the moon...but it's the moon stupid!
Sorry, I really have no idea what your saying.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Sorry, I really have no idea what your saying.
I understand that...but then when I explain that it requires prerequisite understanding...I am accused of elitism...it is quite the opposite in fact... Pick something I said that you do not understand and I will elaborate...

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I understand that...but then when I explain that it requires prerequisite understanding...I am accused of elitism...it is quite the opposite in fact... Pick something I said that you do not understand and I will elaborate...
I do agree with you on most occasions, but it was only this one that got me thinking, so yea, I do agree with most of what you say.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Please explain how your conceptual mind reality in space time can be one with non-conceptual reality? Iow..how can duality apprehend non-duality? It is like saying 2=1 ... lol

This is all metaphysical garbage. Irrelevant and unproductive.

godnotgod

Thou art That
If the universal mind exists then it simply becomes science, so why not work to show that it exists rationally through scientific principles and arguments? You're just assuming that it cant be scientifically analyzed or explained which is falose since that would require you to understand the limits of science , which you don't.

The reason why science is the best option is because of how reliable it is--it also creates concrete results and produces testable hypotheses. When you cant make prediction or have concrete experimental results, then your position is just as weak as any other un provable position. Science is the ONLY way to determine real theories out of the infinite number of unprovable assertions. So maybe you should explain how you know your approach is better than say the scientologists?

I mean scientologists and Christians and Muslims all say the same thing--put your baggage away to see this other path. I dont even know what quiet the monkey brain means or what the Big mind is. The big mind is what albert einstein did--he accessed centers of his brain that allowed him to visualize how elements of the universe acted together in multiple dimensions. The realization in the mind which can then be confirmed by observation is infinitely more profound and valuable than guesswork.

I wouldnt even know how to set aside "my baggage" since it allows me to not believe in things like alien abduction or Zeus or thor or apollo. I dont see how you dont believe in zeus for instance.

No, universal consciousness does not become science. The method of science is dissection and reduction. If you want to know how a piano works, then dismantling it for detailed analysis is a valid approach. But if it's the music you're after, you simply need to learn how to listen. Piano parts will not yield you the music. The moment you stop to analyze, to dissect, to conceptualize, it's lost.

I do not mean the intellect when I am referring to Big Mind. I mean the consciousness that is the universe itself.

Not sure about scientology, but Christianity and Islam are loaded to the hilt with doctrinal baggage.

The pursuit of science to explain the world we live in is to have put the cart ahead of the horse. The findings of science need to be understood within the greater context of Reality itself. Science is not enough to provide the kind of illumination we need to do so. And so we put science aside and seek a spiritually awakened mind first. Then science can be properly placed within the context of a greater understanding. By developing the kind of insight into the true nature of things, the findings of science are then seen in a greater dimension, which is the way it should be. Ultimately, we should see ourselves against the greater dimension of the universe, and not as a manipulator of the world. We are not doing the universe; the universe is doing us.