• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the bottom line is...

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
What do you mean by "everyone needs something to believe in?"

Perhaps early on human prehistory believing in spirits and gods helped us understand the world around us. Or at least, help us feel like we understand the world around us.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
what i mean is that as human beings it is in our nature to need something to believe in. scientifically this is how our brains function

Human beings have a stong desire to know and understand things. The need is so strong that if we don't understand something, we make up something to believe about it.
In this way, humans need to believe that we know things, because knowledge is empowering and uncertainty is frightening.

However, I don't think we really need to believe in the supernatural.

lordjord

Human beings have a stong desire to know and understand things. The need is so strong that if we don't understand something, we make up something to believe about it.
In this way, humans need to believe that we know things, because knowledge is empowering and uncertainty is frightening.

However, I don't think we really need to believe in the supernatural.

ok yes. i agree. so from this cant we conclude that religion is a product of man and was created becasue of the need to believe and that there isnt some higher being

Dream Angel

everyone needs something to believe in, hence religion. the end. ok now talk about that lol

Im not sure EVERYONE NEEDS something to believe in - what about the atheists, they dont believe in anything? and they dont appear to NEED to? But it also depends what you mean we need to believe in - do you just mean religion or do mean things like believing in yourself, having ambition etc etc?

lordjord

Im not sure EVERYONE NEEDS something to believe in - what about the atheists, they dont believe in anything? and they dont appear to NEED to? But it also depends what you mean we need to believe in - do you just mean religion or do mean things like believing in yourself, having ambition etc etc?

what im saying is that the reason for religion is due to the need to believe in somethign. believing keeps us sane. you could argue athiest believe in nothing. they still believe. im getting repetative but what im trying to debate is that religion came into exsistence because someone needed something to believe.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
If in Dhammapada, Quran, Upanishads and Bible there is the mustard seed that spreads it branch towards the same light, without the need of support (religion), then why would it be that we need religions?
If in all of them seeds it found the same, without needing previously conceived ideas.…..

For me I read religions as God asked me too, I don’t like them and find them childish in comparison with the way I have been thinking since birth….i believe in finding what man thinks and has written about God, yet I don’t ever feel it will find God and so often remember to sit back and be still and trust God (Za-Zen).

Find it nice understanding around the world the same meanings written and given in different colours for each…………….
Yet people spoil it to much with their dogma and now after visiting here and other forums, getting very upset on the whole thing of life….

Read religions since birth in the hopes of helping people, yet peoples are getting more fundamentalist and don’t wish to change from a current concept and admit they maybe wrong…..

Considering allot of these concepts need a logical look at, in terms of reasoning out the basic laws of right and wrong….
it sort of defeats the whole essence of oneness globally, which we all should be doing to follow any of them books properly with the mustard seed in; as part of it’s meaning is Oneness.

gnomon

Why religion developed will remain in the realm of conjecture. I personally think religion developed as a means of cohesion and control as much as answering cosmological questions. So while humans do possess a need to know religion wasn't necessarily developed to fulfill that need solely and is thus easily replaced as a way of knowing.

Dream Angel

what im saying is that the reason for religion is due to the need to believe in somethign. believing keeps us sane. you could argue athiest believe in nothing. they still believe. im getting repetative but what im trying to debate is that religion came into exsistence because someone needed something to believe.

"Atheists believe in nothing" - thats an interesting perspective, you could argue that, but then it was flaw your first argument of the reason for religion is the need to believe in something. As athesist believe in something (nothing) but are not religion. So technically, you could say all humans have a need to believe in something, but it is not necessarily religion. It could be belief in their self, with a friend - anything! Yet people still turn to religion. Although there is plenty of other things in the world we could believe in!

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Does atheism come from some having a label, so like kids do to be opposite and yet still wanting to fit in, then also choose another label?

Nanda

Polyanna
Does atheism come from some having a label, so like kids do to be opposite and yet still wanting to fit in, then also choose another label?

You guessed it, we're all doing it to be obstinant, while still desperately seeking your approval. :rolleyes:

i agree people do like to believe in something - but i like to believe in the human spirit and the power that is inside us all - the will to live and survive that happens despite our religious beliefs