• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Book of Moses

sooda

Veteran Member
The Book of Moses, dictated by Joseph Smith, is part of the scriptural canon for some in the Latter Day Saint movement. The book begins with the "Visions of Moses," a prologue to the story of the creation and the fall of man (Moses chapter 1), and continues with material corresponding to Smith's revision (JST) of the first six chapters of the Book of Genesis (Moses chapters 2–5, 8), interrupted by two chapters of "extracts from the prophecy of Enoch" (Moses chapters 6–7).

Portions of the Book of Moses were originally published separately by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) in 1851, but later combined and published as the Book of Moses in the Pearl of Great Price, one of the four books of its scriptural canon. The same material is published by the Community of Christ as parts of its Doctrine and Covenants and Inspired Version of the Bible.

In June 1830, Smith began a new Bible translation that was intended to restore "many important points touching the salvation of men, [that] had been taken from the Bible, or lost before it was compiled."

The chapters that now make up the Book of Moses were first published in the church newspapers Evening and Morning Star and Times and Seasons in the 1830s and 1840s.

The Book of Moses is considered part of the scriptural canon of the LDS Church.

The eight chapters of the Book of Moses were included as a separate book within the Pearl of Great Price through a series of events subsequent to Smith's death.

Franklin D. Richards, who published the first edition of the Pearl of Great Price in 1851, only had access to the early versions of the JST found in church newspapers along with another incomplete handwritten part of JST Genesis, not the original manuscripts.

For this reason the Book of Moses ended abruptly in the middle of the story of Noah. Richards published everything he had at the time, and what is now the Book of Moses was later added by Orson Pratt in the 1878 edition of the Pearl of Great Price.[1] The Pearl of Great Price, including the Book of Moses, was officially canonized by the LDS Church in 1880.

Book of Moses - Wikipedia

dianaiad

He was tarred and feathered and left for dead the first time.

Yes, and his infant son died as a direct result of that one.

I have debated many people over the years, many of whom claim that he deserved everything he got: that the tar and feathering (based upon an accusation that he had sexually molested the sister of the ringleader...except that the man had no sister) was deserved even if the accusation which prompted it was false.

They also claim that he was eventually killed in an old fashioned gun fight while he was attempting to escape from jail...which was sorta true. When 200 men in black face attack the jail with the intent to kill a prisoner, said prisoner might just want to escape. They got their way. He didn't get his.

(shrug) It is what it is. JS is by no means the only religious leader to have enemies who eventually killed him/her. In fact, it's not a bit unusual. People simply don't like those who have religious beliefs which seem odd, or different. That goes for theists and atheists alike.

sooda

Veteran Member
Yes, and his infant son died as a direct result of that one.

I have debated many people over the years, many of whom claim that he deserved everything he got: that the tar and feathering (based upon an accusation that he had sexually molested the sister of the ringleader...except that the man had no sister) was deserved even if the accusation which prompted it was false.

They also claim that he was eventually killed in an old fashioned gun fight while he was attempting to escape from jail...which was sorta true. When 200 men in black face attack the jail with the intent to kill a prisoner, said prisoner might just want to escape. They got their way. He didn't get his.

(shrug) It is what it is. JS is by no means the only religious leader to have enemies who eventually killed him/her. In fact, it's not a bit unusual. People simply don't like those who have religious beliefs which seem odd, or different. That goes for theists and atheists alike.

Maybe it was the polygamy.. His life is pretty unsavory after all. The whole business with the Angel Moroni taking the golden tablets back?????

We have certainly seen our share of religious scoundrels in this country.

dianaiad

Maybe it was the polygamy.. His life is pretty unsavory after all. The whole business with the Angel Moroni taking the golden tablets back?????

We have certainly seen our share of religious scoundrels in this country.

Yes. JS wasn't one of them. Of course, I'm LDS...those who are not have a different view.

As to the angel Moroni taking the plates back....uhmn....what happened to the original tablets upon which the Ten Commandments were inscribed? How about the second set?

Seems reasonable to me that those plates would be removed for safekeeping. They well may not have been gold, but they were certainly 'gold enough' to make them very, very tempting, if they actually did exist.

As for polygamy, well, yeah, he was a polygamist. So was pretty much every OT prophet mentioned, as well as a few kings...and polygamy was still acceptable in NT times. It's still acceptable now, in some cultures. If you don't like it, well, don't marry more than one woman.

BTW, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints does not practice polygamy and has not done so in over a century. In fact, practicing polygamy will get you excommunicated faster than pretty much anything you can do.

sooda

Veteran Member
Yes. JS wasn't one of them. Of course, I'm LDS...those who are not have a different view.

As to the angel Moroni taking the plates back....uhmn....what happened to the original tablets upon which the Ten Commandments were inscribed? How about the second set?

Seems reasonable to me that those plates would be removed for safekeeping. They well may not have been gold, but they were certainly 'gold enough' to make them very, very tempting, if they actually did exist.

As for polygamy, well, yeah, he was a polygamist. So was pretty much every OT prophet mentioned, as well as a few kings...and polygamy was still acceptable in NT times. It's still acceptable now, in some cultures. If you don't like it, well, don't marry more than one woman.

BTW, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints does not practice polygamy and has not done so in over a century. In fact, practicing polygamy will get you excommunicated faster than pretty much anything you can do.

Have you read his life story?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's not surprising to see Joseph Smith die so young.

Mormonism was not so well-liked considering the real world events establishing Mormonism's founder Joseph Smith's lengthy criminal history that had become shockingly worse and more serious as time went on.

Joseph Smith and the criminal justice system - Wikipedia

One could comparatively say he was a similar version of Osho or Ron Hubbard in some respects.

sooda

Veteran Member

Mormonism was not so well-liked considering the real world events establishing Mormonism's founder Joseph Smith's lengthy criminal history that had become shockingly worse and more serious as time went on.

One could comparatively say he was a similar version of Osho or Ron Hubbard in some respects.

That's quite a legal history. He doesn't sound smart, but who writes their own book of the Bible?

dianaiad

Have you read his life story?

Sooda, I'm not only LDS, I'm a fifth generation Latter-day saint. One of my great grandfathers rode his horse nearly to death getting the news to Salt Lake City that Johnson's army was on its way. Three of my four great grandparents were polygamous households. In fact, all four of my great grandparents were converts to Mormonism while Joseph Smith was alive and teaching. I'm a dyed in the wool southern Idaho Mormon in the style of J.Golden Kimball. (you might look him up if you want to be entertained).

So it can safely be said that yes, I know his life story. I know about the only time he was convicted of anything (and even that wasn't a conviction, per se). I know about the months he spent in jail before 'they' had to let him loose. I know about his wives, all 33 of them. I know about his children, about Emma, about his troubles with the bank...and what's more, I know how our critics twist things. I am aware of all the anti-Mormon websites and publications. I know all the arguments and the counter-arguments. I argued with people over on CARM for over a decade.

I've heard it all, and I've done all the research.

The accusations and attacks never change, either in substance or style, and I'm tired of it.

So if you want to engage in a debate with me about how 'evil' Joseph Smith was, I can, indeed, go on autopilot, and give all the standard responses. I'd just--rather not. I will if you insist, however.

dianaiad

One notes that the religious leaders of most, if not all, new faiths have problems with the legal system of their times. Even Jesus was convicted legally and executed, legally, by the government then in power. It's called 'Persecution." You will notice that Joseph Smith was often arrested and accused...and jailed...but do, please, do a careful reading to see how many times he was actually convicted of something. Then compare his story with that of other leaders of break-away/restorationist groups.

Do NOT get me started on the problems the early Mormons had with their neighbors, legally and otherwise. Do NOT get me started on things like Haun's Mill, being tarred and feathered...about how modern critics get all excited about JS dismantling the Nauvoo Expositor....but are perfectly fine with the Missourians burned down the MORMON printing press, along with the home of the printer, because the Mormons had the effrontery to say that they would obey Missouri law regarding "free people of color," and promised not to import those free people into Missouri. Do NOT get me started about how one of the biggest problems those early Mormons had with JS was that he was A; an abolitionist and therefore so were most of his followers, and B; there were a LOT of Mormons in a small area and C; they therefore had a huge influence on local politics, which was a problem because, well...Mormons did not, as a rule, own slaves.

Do NOT get me started on how modern critics accuse JS of personally defrauding people out of money because of the bank failure, when that bank failure was just one of many hundreds that happened at the same time because of a radical change in banking policy made by men in New York City.

or that modern critics keep claiming that the Mormons got what was coming to them because of a speech made in which Sydney Rigdon said that if the Mormons were attacked again, they would defend themselves, (they didn't, actually...defend themselves, that is). Do NOT get me started about the Extermination Order....or Johnson's Army, or about a whole bunch of other stuff.

Dang. You got me started.

Breathe deeply, Diana, breathe deeply. Zen.........

dianaiad

That's quite a legal history. He doesn't sound smart, but who writes their own book of the Bible?

Everybody who actually wrote a book of the Bible. They are called 'prophets,'.....or with less authority, 'scribes.'

Have you actually counted the number of different versions of the Bible...just in English, lately? I believe that the count is around 350 or so. Some of them are, er, interesting. I believe that there is a manga version, come to think of it...why, yes. the 'Manga Bible." you can find it on Amazon.

sooda

Veteran Member
Sooda, I'm not only LDS, I'm a fifth generation Latter-day saint. One of my great grandfathers rode his horse nearly to death getting the news to Salt Lake City that Johnson's army was on its way. Three of my four great grandparents were polygamous households. In fact, all four of my great grandparents were converts to Mormonism while Joseph Smith was alive and teaching. I'm a dyed in the wool southern Idaho Mormon in the style of J.Golden Kimball. (you might look him up if you want to be entertained).

So it can safely be said that yes, I know his life story. I know about the only time he was convicted of anything (and even that wasn't a conviction, per se). I know about the months he spent in jail before 'they' had to let him loose. I know about his wives, all 33 of them. I know about his children, about Emma, about his troubles with the bank...and what's more, I know how our critics twist things. I am aware of all the anti-Mormon websites and publications. I know all the arguments and the counter-arguments. I argued with people over on CARM for over a decade.

I've heard it all, and I've done all the research.

The accusations and attacks never change, either in substance or style, and I'm tired of it.

So if you want to engage in a debate with me about how 'evil' Joseph Smith was, I can, indeed, go on autopilot, and give all the standard responses. I'd just--rather not. I will if you insist, however.

I had never read anything about his life until yesterday..

dianaiad

I had never read anything about his life until yesterday..

I recommend "Rough Stone Rolling." it was written by a Mormon, but it takes an uncompromising and clear eyed look at the life of Joseph Smith. Fawn Brodie also wrote a biography of JS, but she got many of her facts wrong, so I'd take her with a couple of grains of salt. Between joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling and Brodies No Man Knows My History, you could get a pretty good factual look at the life of JS. Rough Stone Rolling is considered to be an apologist book by critics, and No Man Knows My History is viewed as an anti-Mormon diatribe by the 'faithful.'

........including me, but then I know what Brodie got wrong and misrepresented. Between the two, I'd go with "Rough Stone" for the facts, and Brodie for the entertainment value. Where they agree, go with it. Where they disagree (in matters of fact, not opinion) go with "Rough Stone."
This is religion, however, so there is no such thing as a 'neutral,' 'objective' view. All you can do is balance opposing positions and make up your own mind.

What I do NOT recommend is going to any site authored by non-Mormons for information ABOUT Mormons. I've never run across any that get our doctrines and practices right. Many, if not most, are deliberately deceitful.

(shrug) Personally, if I want to know about the beliefs of any religion, I go ask a believer. I never, ever, accept information about a belief system from someone who is not a member of it, without confirming that information WITH a member of it....and what the member says, goes.

BTW...I also take biographies of religious leaders written by their followers with some skepticism, because of course the followers have a vested interest in canonizing those leaders.

Which is why I'm impressed with Rough Stone Rolling. There's none of that in there.

sooda

Veteran Member
I recommend "Rough Stone Rolling." it was written by a Mormon, but it takes an uncompromising and clear eyed look at the life of Joseph Smith. Fawn Brodie also wrote a biography of JS, but she got many of her facts wrong, so I'd take her with a couple of grains of salt. Between joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling and Brodies No Man Knows My History, you could get a pretty good factual look at the life of JS. Rough Stone Rolling is considered to be an apologist book by critics, and No Man Knows My History is viewed as an anti-Mormon diatribe by the 'faithful.'

........including me, but then I know what Brodie got wrong and misrepresented. Between the two, I'd go with "Rough Stone" for the facts, and Brodie for the entertainment value. Where they agree, go with it. Where they disagree (in matters of fact, not opinion) go with "Rough Stone."
This is religion, however, so there is no such thing as a 'neutral,' 'objective' view. All you can do is balance opposing positions and make up your own mind.

What I do NOT recommend is going to any site authored by non-Mormons for information ABOUT Mormons. I've never run across any that get our doctrines and practices right. Many, if not most, are deliberately deceitful.

(shrug) Personally, if I want to know about the beliefs of any religion, I go ask a believer. I never, ever, accept information about a belief system from someone who is not a member of it, without confirming that information WITH a member of it....and what the member says, goes.

BTW...I also take biographies of religious leaders written by their followers with some skepticism, because of course the followers have a vested interest in canonizing those leaders.

Which is why I'm impressed with Rough Stone Rolling. There's none of that in there.

Well, I certainly didn't intend to offend you or hurt your feelings. I just thought my first exposure to his JS's life story was shocking. Doesn't change my opinion of Mormons I have known.. even though I don't get it. In fact.. I think the finest presidential candidate going is Allen McMullen.. He's smart, well-educated, experienced and altogether wholesome. Have you seen his curriculum vitae? Holy cow..... Finance, intelligence, diplomacy, foreign service.. He's a winner!