• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bizarre and Disturbing Behavior of the Poet at Home

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Some years ago I was sitting on the couch in my former apartment with a book of matches in my hand and several more books in front of me on the coffee table. When I felt I had sufficiently focused my attention, I struck a match while listening to it as intently as possible.

Then a second match.

Soon I was saying aloud a certain person's name, trying to precisely time my speaking it with striking a match. I repeated this procedure again and again for almost 20 minutes. Finally, I was convinced the person's name sounded to a good degree like "a match flaring to life".

You see, I had been writing a poem when the comparison came to me, and I wanted to be certain that could accurately be said of her name.

I do that sort of thing a lot -- check and double-check the accuracy or meaningfulness of my words as I write my poems. And I do it despite my conviction it adds nothing -- nothing at all -- to the poetic value or worth of my poems. Instead, I do it because I just don't like writing poetry that I myself cannot understand. That is, poetry that seems meaningless to me.

Yes, it hurts to discard a phrase or sentence that sounds beautiful or 'cool' but is meaningless. It feels a lot like the times I have needed to free up space on my bookshelves by getting rid of books I know I will never read or even use as references. I all but revere books, and even getting rid of the useless ones is painful. But sometimes it's the best thing to do.

I think if you're going to do something -- anything -- then unless there is some harm in it, you're better off sticking to your standards -- the standards that you yourself believe in -- no matter how seemingly ridiculous those standards are. That's how you sleep at night.

“The mind once enlightened cannot again become dark.” ― Thomas Paine

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The matches reminded me of a childhood memory. Grampa's shack was in our yard, and he had an old neighbor friend, John, who would drop by to visit. John was a pipe smoker, and this was in the day of Eddy wooden matches. John was also an incessant talker. Occasionally I was present at their meetings. John would light match after match, each one nearing the pipe, but not lighting it, because he couldn't stop talking long enough to take the necessary inbreath. The match would burn down to his fingers, he'd shake his hands to put it out, and then light another match. I can't remember any of their words, but I sure can remember burnt fingers.

Audie

Veteran Member
The matches reminded me of a childhood memory. Grampa's shack was in our yard, and he had an old neighbor friend, John, who would drop by to visit. John was a pipe smoker, and this was in the day of Eddy wooden matches. John was also an incessant talker. Occasionally I was present at their meetings. John would light match after match, each one nearing the pipe, but not lighting it, because he couldn't stop talking long enough to take the necessary inbreath. The match would burn down to his fingers, he'd shake his hands to put it out, and then light another match. I can't remember any of their words, but I sure can remember burnt fingers.
Part of the show to hold listeners attention.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Some years ago I was sitting on the couch in my former apartment with a book of matches in my hand and several more books in front of me on the coffee table. When I felt I had sufficiently focused my attention, I struck a match while listening to it as intently as possible.

Then a second match.

Soon I was saying aloud a certain person's name, trying to precisely time my speaking it with striking a match. I repeated this procedure again and again for almost 20 minutes. Finally, I was convinced the person's name sounded to a good degree like "a match flaring to life".

You see, I had been writing a poem when the comparison came to me, and I wanted to be certain that could accurately be said of her name.

I do that sort of thing a lot -- check and double-check the accuracy or meaningfulness of my words as I write my poems. And I do it despite my conviction it adds nothing -- nothing at all -- to the poetic value or worth of my poems. Instead, I do it because I just don't like writing poetry that I myself cannot understand. That is, poetry that seems meaningless to me.

Yes, it hurts to discard a phrase or sentence that sounds beautiful or 'cool' but is meaningless. It feels a lot like the times I have needed to free up space on my bookshelves by getting rid of books I know I will never read or even use as references. I all but revere books, and even getting rid of the useless ones is painful. But sometimes it's the best thing to do.

I think if you're going to do something -- anything -- then unless there is some harm in it, you're better off sticking to your standards -- the standards that you yourself believe in -- no matter how seemingly ridiculous those standards are. That's how you sleep at night.

“The mind once enlightened cannot again become dark.” ― Thomas Paine

That would be very similar to the practice used in a good film, where historical accounts are studied in depth, and it's all done as precisely as possible... That’s true professionalism.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Part of the show to hold listeners attention.
We weren't listening, but watching this strange old man burn his fingers. Grandfather passed in '62 and I was born in '53, so I must have been young. The old geezers were most likely talkin' politics.

Audie

Veteran Member
We weren't listening, but watching this strange old man burn his fingers. Grandfather passed in '62 and I was born in '53, so I must have been young. The old geezers were most likely talkin' politics.
Talking about his audience's attention

PureX

Veteran Member
To create the song "&burn" Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas went into the bathroom of their family home (they liked the acoustics in there) with a box of matches and a microphone. Finneas recorded the sounds as Billie lit a match, let it ignite, and then blew it out. After a dozen or so takes of this, Funneas said "thanks" and stopped the recording. Then they went into his room and created the song using the 'scrape ... ignite ... blow' sounds cut and pasted to create the rhythm track, ... with Finneas' "thanks" at the end.

I very much doubt anyone else would have noticed, but just as with yourself, they needed to know that all the parts of their song made sense, and supported the whole. A matter of creative integrity.

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't do cynicism.

Ive an "uncle" who holds the match till
the last possible moment before lighting his
cigarette but only if someone is watching.
I really enjoy those instances of created drama (when I spot them). It's one of the things that, for me, makes life among humans so interesting.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If RF had a cynicism award...

A cynicism award? That might go to me for
thinking it's deeply rooted in human nature to
most often think the worst of people, rather
than take a breath and try to understand them
first. Probably it's merely a human potential
that has become inflamed and rampant due
to the times, rather than always being the case.
And honestly, I shouldn't be blaming people for
taking it to extremes these days, either. We're
all at least a little scared, a little out of character
nowadays. I'll be glad come the day we can all
relax a bit, what about you?

As for @Audie, I think 'observant' is a better word
in this case than 'cynical' to describe the little
she-devil's comment. But your mileage may vary.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I really enjoy those instances of created drama (when I spot them). It's one of the things that, for me, makes life among humans so interesting.

Every now and then, PureX, I absolutely adore one of your comments and/or values despite my very best good intentions not to. That's something you real artists do so well, and so much to the benefit of others. The quality of our lives has so much to do with the details.

Have you ever visited Manitou, Colorado? The highest per capita concentration of artists for hundreds of miles, and one of the most visually interesting towns I've ever experienced. Stuff only artists would think to do, but that add extraordinary interest to the daily lives of people.

Like, I once lived in a tiny cottage by a sweet little brook that my landlord had cunningly painted to make you wonder if the cottage was in the process of being painted, and the crew was just taking a break. Only he pulled it off such that it was beautiful!

I dabble in the arts, but something like that is a whole order of magnitude above my pay grade.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You poetry is more meaningful than the average (to me). I assume its because you care how your words are crafted.

Thanks for the clarification! I see what you mean now. Me, I wasn't thinking of meaningfulness as a proper trait of poetry. That's why I thought what I was doing made no poetic difference.

I'm glad you rate my poetry 'above average' for meaningfulness. That's my ambition. It's what I'm shooting for. A lot of poets are more concerned with 'pushing the envelope' of what poetry can describe.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As for @Audie, I think 'observant' is a better word
in this case than 'cynical' to describe the little
she-devil's comment. But your mileage may vary.

Cynical? Glass half or more empty? The product of where she grew up?

Me? I like this song:

PureX

Veteran Member
Every now and then, PureX, I absolutely adore one of your comments and/or values despite my very best good intentions not to. That's something you real artists do so well, and so much to the benefit of others. The quality of our lives has so much to do with the details.

Have you ever visited Manitou, Colorado? The highest per capita concentration of artists for hundreds of miles, and one of the most visually interesting towns I've ever experienced. Stuff only artists would think to do, but that add extraordinary interest to the daily lives of people.

Like, I once lived in a tiny cottage by a sweet little brook that my landlord had cunningly painted to make you wonder if the cottage was in the process of being painted, and the crew was just taking a break. Only he pulled it off such that it was beautiful!

I dabble in the arts, but something like that is a whole order of magnitude above my pay grade.
I really appreciated your posting this thread. Most people don't realize the extent to which creative people go to do what they do. It's not just about the detail, it's about the integral cohesion of intent, and effect. Your wanting to experience a creative idea as fully as you could to make sure it's 'authentic' before presenting it to the world is an excellent example. Artists struggle with this all the time. It really matters to them. And I think it really matters to the end result, too, even though it will go unnoticed by most everyone else. It is what makes one story, or painting, or poem, or song, exceptional, and another one not so much.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
That would be very similar to the practice used in a good film, where historical accounts are studied in depth, and it's all done as precisely as possible... That’s true professionalism.

I didn't know that about films. Thanks for sharing that!