• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bioethical Implications of Human Immortality

Runt

Imagine that tomorrow morning a treatment capable of halting and reversing the aging process is developed. The procedure allows individuals to maintain the healthy bodies of individuals approximately twenty-five years of age, regardless of whether they’ve enjoyed thirty, eighty, or seven-hundred years of life. The result is, essentially, an immortal human being, invulnerable to the ravages and degradations of physical old age.

The implications of such a procedure are manifold, and raise ethical, economic, political and social questions not only for the individual, but also for society. The same problems facing us today exist in this theoretical world of tomorrow. Disease, war and scarce resources all remain harsh realities interfering with out survival as a species, but now they may soon become the harsh realities for a population capable of living far longer and increasing far more rapidly in numbers than their predecessors. As scientific developments bring us ever closer to the possible development of such a radical procedure, the necessity of evaluating the ethics of human immortality before such a day arrives becomes evermore urgent.

Is it ethically desirable to prolong human life indefinitely? This question is the central focus of both passivism and prolongevitism, defined by Christine Overall in Aging, Death, and Human Longevity: A Philosophical Inquiry. She describes passivism as the acceptance of death as one of the ”earthly conditions that are humanity’s lot and condemning efforts to change them” and prolongevitism as “advocating the extension of the human lifespan significantly beyond its current typical length” (16).

Passivists argue that death is a natural and inevitable part of life. Leon Kass states that to follow the command of God to “go forth and multiply” requires “both the acceptance of the death of self and participation in its transcendence” and asks us, “Is it not possible that aging and mortality are part of this construction, and that the rate of aging and the human lifespan have been selected for their usefulness to the task of perpetuation?” (271). Overall, a prolongevist, agrees with the passivist view that death is natural and inevitable, arguing that death is not unjust, but simply is, and is unavoidable (4). However, she disagrees on a very fundamental point.

Where passivists and prolongevitists such as Overall go different ways on the subject is in whether or not individuals should accept or attempt to postpone death. Passivists argue that efforts should not be made to escape death. It is a natural condition of life and individuals should strive to accept it. Prolongevists, on the other hand, while conceding that death is a part of life, nevertheless argue that it is acceptable to attempt to postpone death to allow individuals to enjoy the maximum number of years possible. According to Overall, the existence and inevitability of death does not imply its moral acceptability or right to exist (34), and states that “to die under any circumstances—appears to be an ignominious and senseless culmination of any life” (5). Death may be natural and unavoidable, but that does not imply its necessity or indicate that it is the duty of human beings to passively accept it.

Passivists argue that the present human life expectancy is sufficient to exhaust all possible satisfying life experiences. This view is based in part upon the unfounded notion that the years an individual gains will be spent in old age and infirmity. This is a misperception. As Overall states, although it is certainly true that the prolongevist hopes to extend the human lifespan beyond its present limits, the emphasis is placed upon lengthening the healthy and active stages of life, and not upon prolonging the final decline into illness and disability (42). Yet experience itself is questioned by the passivists. Lucretius and the contemporary philosopher Ariés claim those living long lives will to cease to have access to new, fulfilling experiences. Overall contends, “the quality of one’s life is not inevitably related, whether positively or negatively, to the length of one’s life” (41).

Another valid concern which passivists raise is that of scarcity. Lucretius, Overall explains, pointed out that old age and death function to remove one generation to make room for the next. The longer the elderly live, the longer their descendents must strive to support them (52). Such an argument, while certainly raising a valid concern and illustrating an undeniably important function of death, is nevertheless ethically unacceptable. It implies that old people “may have a real and compelling duty to die” and thus places an unjustifiably lower value upon their lives than on the lives of younger individuals (64). It is an ageist view, privileging younger populations while simultaneously discriminating against the elderly.

However, Overall herself concedes that the problem of scarcity remains an issue of much concern. First, we must consider the issue of the availability of the treatment itself. Kass points out the danger of creating a “classic instance of the ‘Tragedy of the Commons,’ in which genuine and sought-for gains to individuals are nullified, or worse, by the social consequences of granting them to everyone” (261). Yet equally threatening, Kass mentions, is the possibility that the treatment will not be accessible to everyone and so will privilege a choice—probably wealthy—few. Verhey echoes his concern, stating, “capitalism will lead us still further down the path of becoming two nations – and two worlds – one rich and genetically enhanced, the other poor and genetically ‘invalid’.” (191) Thus we must ask ourselves, will the treatment be universally accessible? If not, who are the priority targets: those who can afford it or those who need it most immediately?

Another question concerns the problem of overpopulation. Presently this planet harbors 6.5 billion people and even now there is an uneven distribution of resources. An immortal, reproducing population would create a crisis of overpopulation in very little time. Would efforts be made to control reproduction and resource allocations, and if so, how would we ensure that such actions remain ethical? The rise of an immortal population upon this planet incites economic concerns with ethical ramifications.

All together, the arguments in favor of prolonging the human lifespan are more logically sound than those against it. However, this does not mean we should be free to proceed freely and without caution. Many questions have yet to be answered which much be addressed before efforts to prolong the human life should begin in earnest. For example, determining who will have access to such treatments or technologies, whether they should be distributed through a free market economy or government control, how we will address issues such as overpopulation and reproduction, and other such questions should first be explored and answered. Then we should proceed with our efforts to prolong and better human life.

Biography
Kass, Leon. Life, Liberty, and the Defense of Dignity : The Challenge For Bioethics. San Francisco : Encounter Books, 2002.

Overall, Christine. Aging, Death, and Human Longevity: A Philosophical Inquiry. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2003.

Verhey, Allen. Reading the Bible in the Strange World of Medicine. Cambridge:
William B. Eerdman’s Publishing Company. 2003.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
The answer to overpopulation is simple. Along with the cure should be a formula that makes women spin around and bite the head off their man during mating.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Nae, I doubt overpopulation will be a problem with the possibility of an endless life.
One, only the obscenely rich could afford the procedure. Two: even if it becomes a universal treatment, we would become cramped for a while, but some super virus (think an aerosol version of Ebola) would probably wipe the majority of the world out due to population density and rapid transport.

If the people receiving treatment just limited the number of children they have, overpopulation shouldn't become a problem for a few generations, at least.

I wonder if people will still be allowed to retire if they're capable of being a youthful, productive worker forever.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There was an episode of Star Trek (the original show) about this. Kirk visited a planet where death became almost unheard of and the planet at one time was a paradise. The whole planet was filled with people, there was no where left to stand.

That is a bit far fetched, but that is what I would see in our future if people suddenly lived so long.

Runt

The answer to overpopulation is simple. Along with the cure should be a formula that makes women spin around and bite the head off their man during mating.
LOL! Well, I suppose some method of controlling reproduction would be necessary, but hopefully it would not be that drastic! My concern is, should it become necessary to control reproduction, there is the danger of certain groups being privileged over others in this area. A eugenics program is a disturbing idea both sociologically as well as biologically; what if we unfairly advantaged certain groups and disadvantaged others? What if we accidentally artificially selected against certain genes which end up being necessary to human survival?

Runt

Nae, I doubt overpopulation will be a problem with the possibility of an endless life.
One, only the obscenely rich could afford the procedure. Two: even if it becomes a universal treatment, we would become cramped for a while, but some super virus (think an aerosol version of Ebola) would probably wipe the majority of the world out due to population density and rapid transport.
I agree with the former probably (and unfortunately) being a way in which population is controlled, but it seems unlikely to me that the majority of the world population would be wiped out by disease... because we haven't seen any large population centers in our present world being destroyed by epidemics yet, and you're talking about a worldwide pandemic.

Actually, it's not that far fetched.

Something that isn't public knowledge is that diseases are quickly evolving immunities to treatment. When you're given a cure, if you don't follow the directions your doctor or pharmacist gives you, the disease can become immune to the cure. In poorer urban areas (which would be the first to become way overpopulated), it'd be easy for that disease to spread.

I wouldn't even expect something that new. I'd expect a new strain of small pox or the bubonic plague to make a reappearance, now immune to antibiotics.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
LOL! Well, I suppose some method of controlling reproduction would be necessary, but hopefully it would not be that drastic! My concern is, should it become necessary to control reproduction, there is the danger of certain groups being privileged over others in this area. A eugenics program is a disturbing idea both sociologically as well as biologically; what if we unfairly advantaged certain groups and disadvantaged others? What if we accidentally artificially selected against certain genes which end up being necessary to human survival?
Ok, what if men were only capable of one squirt their whole life and die just like a honeybee after stinging someone? That might help. I can just imagine how painful that would be though, having it rip off and continue it's injecting while the man bleeds to death.

lunamoth

Will to love
Ok, what if men were only capable of one squirt their whole life and die just like a honeybee after stinging someone? That might help. I can just imagine how painful that would be though, having it rip off and continue it's injecting while the man bleeds to death.

I think you'e been watching too many Japanese horror flicks Kungfuzed. Either that or you are a suppressed entomologist...

--mothra

A

angellous_evangellous

If humans were immortal, there would be no need for bioethics.

Runt

If humans were immortal, there would be no need for bioethics.
On the contrary, this theoretical population is not free of the possibility of injury, incapable of war and murder, or immune to disease. They simply do not die of old age. Many of the ethical and bioethical questions we have today (such as questions of right to life, assisted suicide, artificial reproduction, and resource allocations) remain a concern for this theoretical population... possibly to a greater degree than they are a concern for us today.

A

angellous_evangellous

On the contrary, this theoretical population is not free of the possibility of injury, incapable of war and murder, or immune to disease. They simply do not die of old age. Many of the ethical and bioethical questions we have today (such as questions of right to life, assisted suicide, artificial reproduction, and resource allocations) remain a concern for this theoretical population... possibly to a greater degree than they are a concern for us today.

Then it makes no sense.

rojse

RF Addict
But the life of a person does not merely end through old age. Some people die in car accidents, or be murdered, or so forth. You might live forever biologically, and even be immune from disease, however improbable that may be, but you would still die if you were hit by a car travelling one hundred kilometres per hour.

If we were to really be incapable of death, as you suggest, then we could live whereever we wished, without worrying about inconsequential things like radiation, temperature, pressure, or deadly chemicals. With that reasoning, I could go to sleep on Mars without having to worry about the fact that it is approximately minus one hundred and fifty degrees, or that there was no oxygen, or that I had no water or food.

Runt

But the life of a person does not merely end through old age. Some people die in car accidents, or be murdered, or so forth. You might live forever biologically, and even be immune from disease, however improbable that may be, but you would still die if you were hit by a car travelling one hundred kilometres per hour.

If we were to really be incapable of death, as you suggest, then we could live whereever we wished, without worrying about inconsequential things like radiation, temperature, pressure, or deadly chemicals. With that reasoning, I could go to sleep on Mars without having to worry about the fact that it is approximately minus one hundred and fifty degrees, or that there was no oxygen, or that I had no water or food.
This is intended to be an inquiry into a bioethical concern that is actually possible within the foreseeable future, and which should, therefore, be examined before it becomes a reality. There has been a lot of research done in recent years on the aging process and the ways in which it might be halted or reversed. Researchers have now identified 7 causes of aging, and are contemplating ways to address these causes. Based on our current understandings of aging, science may be able to halt the aging process well disease and crime are eradicated or medicine has advanced to the point of being able to treat every fatal injury. Thus, what this essay speaks of is a sort of "conditional immortality"---it is not a supernatural immortality in which the human being becomes outright invincible, but merely an elimination of only ONE of the factors which threaten the human life. The human being is essentially immortal, because until some outside misfortune---illness or injury---ends his life, he will not die.

rojse

RF Addict
I must have misunderstood your post. My apologies.

I know about all of what you have said, but I do not think that we will achieve the immortality that you envision, because of our current lifestyle, but also because of biological factors.

There is the economic factor to consider in this, which has been mentioned previously. Not everyone could afford expensive medical treatments that would allow an indefinite lifespan, and I am certain that the companies that can create such treatments would have huge profit margins, and leave the treatments out of the grasp of most people. Many people struggle to afford even basic medical treatment today, so I doubt that many people would be able to afford the treatments when they come now.

People will still die. They might get lost on a mountain for a month, and be found dead. They might be in a serious car accident, and die on impact, or the process of cutting them out of the car takes too long. They might drown. Or there could be a fatal workplace accident, where someone breaks their neck. Just because medical services get better, it does not mean that people will not die at all. It just means that accidents will have to be more serious.

For the people out there intent on murder, they will just have to not have their corpse discovered for some time, whether it is ten minutes, ten hours or ten days.

Disease is an important factor that you have mentioned, and I am sure that this will lower the average life expectancy of the potential immortals.

This immortality process would also have to take into account the slow degradation of our body organs, such as the heart, the lungs, and many of our other organs that are vital for life. Perhaps biological engineering can solve some of these problems to some extent, but they will not last forever. And where would these new organs come from?

These points do not even consider any social attitudes or governmental laws on the subject that may arise to avoid overpopulation problems that you envision.

rojse

RF Addict
With a longer life span, I think that we could complete projects that would not be envisionable to us now, with our short life span and the resultant lack of vision. These projects would lower population pressures.

We could terraform planets, for example. Or we could send out spaceships to explore different solar systems. A timeframe of one thousand years for each of these would not be a problem, because we would live to see the conclusion, and benefit from our work.

Both of these would also alleviate population pressure on earth.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
I don not for one instant believe this is a true concern. We will not outsmart, nor skirt around death. We will not become ageless, and science is no closer to making us immortal now than it was a million years ago. I understand that is the aim and objective of much of the science dealing with human aging, and where many cosmetic formulas, cosmetic surgery, and all other procedures and medication being made available to us. It is a silly aim though. Are people so vain that they believe they will not face death? Attempt to control death will inevitably become attempts to control life. Now "without death" a couple must be controlled as to how many if any children she births. If we do birth young, what will they do later in life if the old never get old? If they never get old and die off, they will continue to work, eat, need shelter. Death is a release and is population control. To attempt to quell it is asking or disaster. I ain't worried about that in the least though. Whatever has a beginning has an end.

Runt

I don not for one instant believe this is a true concern. We will not outsmart, nor skirt around death. We will not become ageless, and science is no closer to making us immortal now than it was a million years ago. I understand that is the aim and objective of much of the science dealing with human aging, and where many cosmetic formulas, cosmetic surgery, and all other procedures and medication being made available to us. It is a silly aim though. Are people so vain that they believe they will not face death? Attempt to control death will inevitably become attempts to control life. Now "without death" a couple must be controlled as to how many if any children she births. If we do birth young, what will they do later in life if the old never get old? If they never get old and die off, they will continue to work, eat, need shelter. Death is a release and is population control. To attempt to quell it is asking or disaster. I ain't worried about that in the least though. Whatever has a beginning has an end.
I'm not so sure we will not eventually overcome aging. I know research into the subject does not equal a solution, but it's a start. Researchers have identified some seven causes of aging, including:

Glycation endproducts (there's a word starting with "a" before that but I don't remember what... it makes the acronym AGE, hehe), which basically involve decreased protein efficiency but can already be treated (to a limited degree---on animals unfortunately, not humans) with drugs.

Decreased immune-efficiency: The human immune system can only hold so many T-cells at once. The conversion of "naive" T-cells, (which are able to learn to respond to new threats) to "memory" T-cells (which respond only to specific, previously-encountered viruses) causes the immune system to basically "fill up" which memory T-cells, leaving no naive T-cells left over to deal with new threats. The virtually harmless and slow-acting CMV virus which can be contracted early in life and which continues to cause an immune response throughout life (converting naive cells to T-cells) is one of the problems. Vaccinate against that, and while you won't have immortality, you WILL have one less problem to deal with.

The buildup of cellular junk in the lysosomes (which are supposed to break up junk but apparently sometimes can't because junk is sometimes so weird that it just sticks around) causes neurodegeneration and plaque in the artery wall, when the cells can no longer do their jobs. Specially designed enzymes may be able to help.

I'm sure you've heard of free-radicals. They basically "steal" electrons from enzymes and proteins, causing them to stop working properly. There are various ways already out and about for dealing with free-radicals, although it is (thus far) impossible to completely do away with them. Because our bodies produce free-radicals (especially our mitochondria), fixing this problem would involve genetically engineering the mitochondria.

Crap, I have to go. Um.... I'm citing from: http://www.fightaging.org/archives/001047.php (Take this site with a grain of salt... they're a little over-enthusiastic about the idea of human immortality, but they give a fairly good overview of some of the causes of aging.)

One more thing. Off the top of my head, I remember watching a video in my second-semester biology course about worms submerged in a fluid which, essentially, prevented the ends of their DNA from falling away as they normally do in cell division (eventually causing cell death). The worms lived far longer than their species normally does (I remember a 6 being part of the statistic for this... but dunno if it was 6x or 6 weeks or 6 days or 6 months... ;)), without cancer or other signs of uncontrollable cell growth. Now, humans are far more complicated biologically than worms, but it is a start.

I'll have to address this more fully when I return later.