• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bible

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Jesus Christ appointed prophets while He was still living. This would hardly have made sense, had He not intended to speak to them after He died. He even built His Church on a foundation of prophets and apostles. I don't know how He could possibly have made it much more clear that He wasn't ready to leave us with nothing more than a book for the next several thousand years!

To assume that we don't still need direction from God through living prophets is to assume that (a)He has lost the ability He once had to communicate with us, (b)we are so much more sophisticated now than God's children were in Biblical times that we no longer need him or (c)He no longer considers us worth bothering with. There is absolutely no Biblical reason for our assuming that the Bible contains every last truth God wishes us to know and that He has nothing more to say to us. That is both naive and a more than a little bit presumptuous.

may

bible prophecy is still coming true now, the bible tells us how to survive the great tribulation ,

for then there will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again...... matthew 24;21

and the war of the great day of Jehovah , which is Armageddon.

to gather them together to the war of the great day of God the Almighty

And they gathered them together to the place that is called in Hebrew Har–Ma·ged´on..revelation 16;13-16

after that there will be new scrolls.... revelation 20;12

(Daniel 12:1) "And during that time Mi´cha·el will stand up, the great prince who is standing in behalf of the sons of your people. And there will certainly occur a time of distress such as has not been made to occur since there came to be a nation until that time. And during that time your people will escape, every one who is found written down in the book

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Freaking brilliant question. Why is the bible not still being written? I don't have the answer, but love the question. I have wondered a similar question since childhood. . . Why doesn't God do any miracles anymore?

I have a pretty strong theory as to the second question, and the Council of Nicea might have something to do with the answer to the first.

B.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Freaking brilliant question. Why is the bible not still being written? I don't have the answer, but love the question. I have wondered a similar question since childhood. . . Why doesn't God do any miracles anymore?

I have a pretty strong theory as to the second question, and the Council of Nicea might have something to do with the answer to the first.

B.
But He does perform miracles! And He's not through talking to us either! People are just convinced that He is, so they refuse to listen.

Popeyesays

whatever said:
I know there is no answer for this question:

Why isn't the bible still being written?
The Bible may be completed, but the "BOOK" is still being written.

Regards,
Scott

Deut 13:1

Aqualung said:
I believe it is being added to. As a latter-day saint, I believe that we have a prophet of God running out church, and that he still receives revelation.
Question: If I go to LDS saint in NY and he says X, and this LDS guy in LA says Y and X and Y contradict each other, what happens?

may

so whos in unity where ever they are in the world? and who all speak in agreement wherever they are in the world ? unity of worship is around but most are to blind to see it:)

Deut 13:1

may said:
so whos in unity where ever they are in the world? and who all speak in agreement wherever they are in the world ? unity of worship is around but most are to blind to see it:)
You didn't answer the question, whose 'holy spirit' should I listen too.

Aqualung

Tasty
Binyamin said:
Question: If I go to LDS saint in NY and he says X, and this LDS guy in LA says Y and X and Y contradict each other, what happens?
Then they have a disagreement. If you want to know who's right, take what they're saying, and study it. If it contradicts any of the 4 standard words (the Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, or the Pearl of Great Price) you know he's wrong. If it isn't in there either way, you know it's just his opinion, and you can follow that if you want. If the prophet says it, and says it's revelation from God, he's right, because God won't let the prophet lead us astray.

may

Binyamin said:
You didn't answer the question, whose 'holy spirit' should I listen too.
the one thats only inline with Gods word the bible , because we only need the bible, when true christians apply the bible in the right way it leads to unity of worship as JW are doing in all parts of the world ,it does not matter where i go in the world if i meet a JW the worship is the same , and the teachings are the same ,and the message is the same , because true worship in line with the bible is in unity ,if you go to australia it is the same allover the world
"Now I exhort you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that you should all . . . be fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought."—1 Cor. 1:10.

greatcalgarian

Who says the Bible is not being written now? Read this most recent version:
http://www.templetons.com/charles/jesus/toc.html
[size=+1]
CHAPTER ONE
An angel appears to Zachariah - the announcement to Mary - Mary and Joseph are married - the visit to Elizabeth - John the Baptist is born.

CHAPTER TWO
The birth of Jesus - the dedication in Jerusalem - the astrologers follow the star to Jesus - the escape to Egypt - the return to Palestine - Jesus grows up in Nazareth.

CHAPTER THREE
The preaching of John the Baptist - he predicts the ministry of Jesus - Jesus is baptized - the temptation in the desert.

CHAPTER FOUR
John's denial that he is the Messiah - Jesus calls Andrew, Peter, Philip, and Nathaniel - the wedding in Cana.

CHAPTER FIVE
Jesus drives the money-changers from the temple - he predicts the resurrection - the visit of Nicodemus - John speaks of his diminishing role.

CHAPTER SIX
John is arrested - the Samaritan woman at the well - the healing of the government official's son - Jesus settles in Capernaum.

CHAPTER SEVEN
Demon-possesion cured in the synagogue - Peter`s mother-in-law is healed - the miraculous catch of fish - Simon, Andrew, James, and John become disciples - Jesus returns to Nazareth and is rejected - a palsied man is healed - Matthew becomes a disciple.

CHAPTER EIGHT
The healing at Bethesda pool - Jesus defends healing on a Sabbath - the disciples are criticized for gathering grain on a Sabbath man with a withered hand is healed - the apostles are chosen.

CHAPTER NINE
The sermon on the mount.

CHAPTER TEN
The Centurion's servant is healed - a widow's son is raised in Nain - John' messenger query Jesus - Chorazin and Bethsaida are denounced - a woman washes Jesus' feet - his family doubts his sanity - a deaf and dumb man is healed - the sin that cannot be forgiven - the parable of the seven devils.

CHAPTER ELEVEN
A series of parables on the kingdom - Jesus explains his use of parables - the parables of the buried treasure, the superlative pearl and the fisherman and their catch - Jesus calms the sea - a madman is healed in Gerasa - Jairus' daughter is healed - a woman is healed of a hemorrhage - two blind men are healed.

CHAPTER TWELVE
The commissioning of the apostles - the beheading of John the Baptist - Jesus feeds the 5,000 - the move to make Jesus king - he walks on the water - Jesus, "the bread of life" - some disciples desert.

[/size]

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Binyamin said:
I guess the same thing as happens if I go to a Jew in NY and he says x and a Jew in LA says Y, and X and Y contradict each other.

Here are the possibilities:

1. One of the two doesn't understand his religion.
2. You misunderstood one of them.

Read the Blind Men and the Elephant story. You'll find your answer there.

greatcalgarian

Katzpur said:
I guess the same thing as happens if I go to a Jew in NY and he says x and a Jew in LA says Y, and X and Y contradict each other.

Here are the possibilities:

1. One of the two doesn't understand his religion.
2. You misunderstood one of them.

Read the Blind Men and the Elephant story. You'll find your answer there.
You forgot, both can be wrong:biglaugh:

joeboonda

Aqualung said:
Then they have a disagreement. If you want to know who's right, take what they're saying, and study it. If it contradicts any of the 4 standard words (the Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, or the Pearl of Great Price) you know he's wrong. If it isn't in there either way, you know it's just his opinion, and you can follow that if you want. If the prophet says it, and says it's revelation from God, he's right, because God won't let the prophet lead us astray.
And when the Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, or the Pearl of Great Price say something other than what the Bible says, you take THOSE books over the Bible as they are 'latter' revelations. I must stick with the Bible alone, for many mormon doctrines go directly against fundamental christian doctrine as found in the Bible alone.

Aqualung

Tasty
joeboonda said:
And when the Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, or the Pearl of Great Price say something other than what the Bible says, you take THOSE books over the Bible as they are 'latter' revelations. I must stick with the Bible alone, for many mormon doctrines go directly against fundamental christian doctrine as found in the Bible alone.
DUDE!!! I started threads about that!!! NOBODY, including you, could tell me where they contradicted the Bible!!! Stop with your anti-mormon crap until you actually know what you're talking about!! Go read those threads. NoName does a pretty good job of actually knowing what he's talking about before he posts. YOU DON'T!! I bet you have never, ever even opened a book of mormon, let alone read that or the Doctrine and covenants. Once again, I repeat: they do not ocntradict the Bible and if you think they do, take it up in the threads I specifically created for that purpose. Oh, wait, let me guess, this is another one of those instances of you posting a complete load of crap, with no evidence whatsoever to back it up, and now you'll run away and hide behind your facade of just being too damn good to stoop to the level of debating one of those crazy mormons! :banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3

jonny

joeboonda said:
I'd love to know why you didn't jump in on Aqualung's theads on this.

Here's the place where you can start posting all of the contradictions to back your claims up:
How the Book of Mormon contradicts the Bible.
How the Doctrine and Covenants contradicts the Bible.

I look forward to your posts. :woohoo:

If you need a copy of the Book of Mormon to comment intelligently on it, you can order one free from here.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Here we go again...

joeboonda said:
And when the Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, or the Pearl of Great Price say something other than what the Bible says, you take THOSE books over the Bible as they are 'latter' revelations.
Joe, you flat out don't know what you're talking about. We value the Bible every bit as highly as you do. It has been described as "foremost among our Standard Works." Our other scriptures all come from the same source as the Bible -- i.e. God. None of them contradicts the Bible and when pushed to provide evidence that they do, you inevitably come up empty-handed.

Read the four gospel accounts of the Savior's crucifixion. Does John contradict Matthew, Mark and Luke because he mentions the Savior's words to His mother and John the beloved? Just because three out of the four accounts of the same event fail to mention something doesn't mean the fourth one is false. Do you take Luke's word over the others? I hope you don't reject it for the same reason you're suggesting we reject the Book of Mormon.

I must stick with the Bible alone, for many mormon doctrines go directly against fundamental christian doctrine as found in the Bible alone.
You are dead wrong. First, you can't give me one example, because there isn't one. It is impossible to contradict something that's not there. Second, what evidence do you have that the Bible contains everything God wants us to know? Where does the Bible claim to be what you are insisting it is? Give me one good reason to believe that our sole record of God's dealings with mankind is contained within the pages of a single book, compiled by human beings who lived in one small part of the world. Third, my doctrines are every bit as "Christian" as yours are.

may

whatever said:
I know there is no answer for this question:

Why isn't the bible still being written?
one reason is because the final prophecies in the bible are still happening ,right now in these last days, so we dont need any more added , the bible as it is, is quite enough to be going on with .keeping on the watch to the prophecies is enough to be going on with . we dont need any more
2 Tim. 3:16, 17: "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work

Many world leaders acknowledge that mankind is on the brink of disaster. The Bible foretold these conditions long ago; it explains their meaning and what the outcome will be. (2 Tim. 3:1-5; Luke 21:25-31) It tells what we must do in order to survive the impending world destruction, with the opportunity to gain eternal life under righteous conditions here on earth.—Zeph. 2:3; John 17:3; Ps. 37:10, 11, 29

joeboonda

HI, I don't want to argue with you all, if I get the time I will look at some threads about mormonism and try to reply. I am glad you believe strongly in your religion, I think that is a good thing, hopefully I will have time to ask more questions another time. A few things I believe in are The Virgin Birth of Christ, which you all do, The Deity of Christ, The Blood Atonement, the Innerancy, Infallibiblty, and Literal Truth of the Bible in every detail, The Physical Resurrection of Christ and all dead; and The Second Coming of Christ in bodily form. These are the five fundamentals I believe, without going into detail. If you believe other than this, then we may have some serious disagreements, otherwise I'm cool. Love ya, and God bless.