• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible; The Wor(k)d Of The Devil?

cardero

Citizen Mod

This thread was inspired from the conversations that GodLovesUs and I were discussing in another thread.

There has been much speculation about the bible and its origins. Never has one book caused so much confusion, distraction, segregation, destruction or wars than the Bible. Is this the Bible’s intention or have we all been misinterpreting it?

If it confuses like a devil, misleads likes a devil, if it promotes faith in a devil, destroys like a devil are we to assume it is derived from the devil?

Before, I appealed for evidence to support that the Bible was inspired by GOD, now I request evidence that it does not originate with Satan.

cardero said:

This thread was inspired from the conversations that GodLovesUs and I were discussing in another thread.

There has been much speculation about the bible and its origins. Never has one book caused so much confusion, distraction, segregation, destruction or wars than the Bible. Is this the Bible’s intention or have we all been misinterpreting it?

If it confuses like a devil, misleads likes a devil, if it promotes faith in a devil, destroys like a devil are we to assume it is derived from the devil?

Before, I appealed for evidence to support that the Bible was inspired by GOD, now I request evidence that it does not originate with Satan.

The bible was not made by the supernatural,but humanity linked prophecies,the real question is why would satan write down how he want's to die?

cardero

Citizen Mod
blood-lord14 said:
The bible was not made by the supernatural,but humanity linked prophecies,the real question is why would satan write down how he want's to die?
False Hope?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Wow, what a thought!

When I read that, of course, I had to think twice before realizing that GodloveUs was the member's name..........I was very confused for a while.:rolleyes:

The Bible, as I see it, is made up of the old testament (which to mind, is a badly written account of history, full of allegorical writings to give us an idea of the background); the new testament, I see as being as reasonable an account as you can get, of the life of Christ, and his teachings.

I know that is a dreadfully short way of describing the Bible, but that is the general idea of the way I see it.

Considering the Bible was written by mortal humans, and the original texts were very open to debate as to translation accuracy, I think it is as flawed as anything else that man has 'had a go at'.

I don't for a minute believe that it is a book of the devil, or inspired by the devil, simply because of the wonderful descriptions of the life of Jesus; had I been the devil, writing the bible, I would have made sure I left Jesus out of it, because he wouldn't have helped my cause any!

Like anything else in the world that man gets his hands on, the Bible can be used to support what I consider to be immoral rules, just as well as it can be used to support moral ones.

I prefer to take the bits that are nice out of it, and forget the rest.:D

gnostic

The Lost One
That could be said all religious texts.

As I understand it, most of the Old Testament bible, or the Hebrew Scripture Tanakh were recalling the history of their people, with some prophecies, some laws and some poems or parables. Each work were originally composed in different time. They have real people recording them.

The same could be said of the New Testament part of the bible. Some of it is a historical narratives, some prophecies, and interpretations of Jesus' teachings through mostly Paul's letters.

It is not like the Qur'an or the Book of Mormon, where the prophets said that they got the whole things through angels' visitations, which is totally unsubstantiated and unsupported that such visitations took place.

The gold plates that conveniently disappeared after Mr Smith had translated it, is not a reliable.

Nor is Muhammad's claim that Gabriel had visited him a number of times.

During the Old Testament time, people knew of who the prophets were, because no one dare to claim to be one. The book of Jonah show a very unreluctant prophet, is more believable than the one that claim that "I am the last prophet" and this is a new and "only true" religion "I am starting". Both Muhammad and Joseph Smith have such proclaimations, and make the claims fairly dubious.

In Christianity, many broke away from Roman Catholic Church, because at the time, those living in Rome were living in luxury and corruption. They own more land than any ruler, and they interfere in worldly affair, such as politics. Martin Luther didn't start a new sect because he wanted more power, but because he was trying to get back to basic.

To say that the whole bible is the work of Satan is not justifable. I don't believe in many areas of the bible, mainly with Creation and miracles, but I can accept some of its laws, and its teaching of moral and compassion, because they are universal and can be found in many other religions, as well as in non-montheistic philosophies.

Every religion have some values that are universal and can be acceptable even if you don't believe in God or gods.

cardero said:

Definitely a valid point as I mentioned on another thread. It would be really hard to prove what the bible truly is. It would be hard to fight generations of can I say mind control by religions to take the bible as the word of God. Personally while reading Genesis and Kings they do not make sense. People always told me cause I am not inspired by God, priest will tell me this is blasphemy. All I know is when I start debating passages in the bible that no one can ever explain certain passages people who are pro the bible would say you are misguided and talk to your priest. As you mentioned if the bible is the work of God, why would it be so confusing, it triggers violence against other beliefs, it glorifies only the so called "chosen people" in one particular region. This to me shows that the God mentioned in the bible (OT) cares about the chosen people, because everytime he feels like it he destroys the human beings, to have a clean slate. The story of Noah is my example.

So for me its hard to argue that the bible is not a work of Satan because if you believe that satan exists, then satan's role on this earth is to trick us to give up our soul. He will show you goodness to gain confidence then will tell you to murder people in the name of God. Well all I know is I believe in God but not necesarily the bible. If someone wants to debate the book of Genesis as a platform I am ready to discuss this with you privately. Hey maybe I might be enlightened.

Currenlty I am not a strong believer in the bible, but I believe that there is a God.

gnostic said:
To say that the whole bible is the work of Satan is not justifable. I don't believe in many areas of the bible, mainly with Creation and miracles, but I can accept some of its laws, and its teaching of moral and compassion, because they are universal and can be found in many other religions, as well as in non-montheistic philosophies.

The issue that I see here is that throughout other people's childhood in certain religions that everything in the bible should be followed not just the good as we see it. That I have a problem since after reading just 2 books of the bible (Genesis and Kings) they are full of self glorification for a family line, having relationships with family members, murderous acts, etc - how can this be God's words? To this day there is still internal bickering with the families in the middle east because of religion and what they interprete in their artifacts (bible, Koran, etc). I always say if you are a truly just/good person, it doesn't matter if someone will show you bad deeds your good will still come out. From my personal experience this is true. I wish they would give access to the real scrolls instead of getting a second hand interpretaion, otherwise to me its man's word not God.

And if the tree of knowledge in eden is suppose to tell us Good and evil, I guess it did not work here cause people have different opinions about one of the foundations of certain religions.

If I am wrong, my God forgive me...

cardero

Citizen Mod
GodLovesUs writes: I am rediscovering the Old Testamant Bible and while reading through Genesis, Kings etc it seems to me that this book either has gone throught so many hands of translation that logical it doesn't make sense. God is just and treats us equally.

This is the quote that really started me thinking. If GOD did treat us equally I would imagine that the same opportunities that the inspired authors had for contact and communication would be easily accessible for everyone. As is evident, the Bible has fail safes for achieving such enlightenment. It seems to discourage a real relationship with GOD, imprisoning an accepted concept of a Supreme Being between its binding, substituting scripture that requires great leaps of faith that cannot be confirmed or validated. It seems to detour logic, suspend belief, derail reason and basically keeps some people from becoming aware of what exactly is going around them.

It seems this would be a tactic that Satan would encourage, not GOD.

cardero said:

This is the quote that really started me thinking. If GOD did treat us equally I would imagine that the same opportunities that the inspired authors had for contact and communication would be easily accessible for everyone. As is evident, the Bible has fail safes for achieving such enlightenment. It seems to discourage a real relationship with GOD, imprisoning an accepted concept of a Supreme Being between its binding, substituting scripture that requires great leaps of faith that cannot be confirmed or validated. It seems to detour logic, suspend belief, derail reason and basically keeps some people from becoming aware of what exactly is going around them.

It seems this would be a tactic that Satan would encourage, not GOD.

clearly a good point made even though it's quite long.
satan works against the commandments so since he has no sseen mother of father,god seems to take only one of those two posiitions if not then quite clearly both because he must have a feminine aspect of his own existence.
God is more less a source of faith and death like scales he/she imbalances all universal ingreientes including himself/herself.the thought of satan being an alias (no mother or father) labels him misunderstood and a misunderstanding person/beast or in better terms "evil" or as true christians would say "unclean".satan's full acceptance in god is very vivid thought,he is against this heavenly figure in many ways thus giving you reason to know this is why he is deceptive and wrong in many ways.satan is a very confused creature/man so he lacks control over what supernatural powers he contains this is why mankind/womankind control their own fate,because satan cannot control all his power.

The bible is a collection of what we have of the apostles writings. It was compiled by well meaning and educated men of the Catholic Church. There may have been politic motives behind what was included and excluded, but I would like to think the compilers were honest men. I am grateful the church preserved and compiled the bible.

That said, there is a risk that the bible could be a tool of Satan. The fall of mankind story in Genesis provides an interesting and haunting idea: it does not take much to change a command of God. There is a possibility that well meaning people have changed scripture over time in ways that distort God's message. While it is easy to argue the bible's message of love is from God, what would be more insidious than to wrap just enough lies to distort the entire truth in that same truth?

While God is forgiving, He does punish those who dont do His Will as the OT time after time illustrates. It is possible that He may wholesale punish all those who believe in a distortion of His "pure religion." He would basically be punishing people not to search, study, and think for themselves. Perhaps this is the entire desire He has behind free will: to allow us to study, question, and search for His truth. To believe He will save everyone who calls upon Him is a limitation on His omipotence.

This is a haunting thought. I dont completely believe He will do so, nor do I believe the Bible is entirely corrupted in its messages (some details, I am finding out as I study history, are fallacies but they dont effect the spiritual message). We need to remember, however, that evil can use scripture to tempt.