• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible, the MAXIMUM book

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Every Bible student knows that Moses wrote the first books of the Bible in the first months after the exile, because in them he wrote down many laws that God gave him directly for the people that He Himself formed from some descendants of Abraham, and who he was protecting.

Any interested Bible student can establish a biblical chronology that shows that Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt in the year 1513 BC.

Of course, there are many Bible haters who do not want to study these matters, but who are very willing to believe what modern Bible haters want them to believe.

PS: Maybe in the future I will create a forum topic about biblical chronology in detail... I have already done it in other forums.

Maybe you don't realize that there are actual theologians here, not just layman. Maybe listen, and learn? Or not,.your choice really.

Eli G

If the Bible is not credible as a book of God, much less credible is the book that a Muslim named Baháʼu'lláh wrote in the 19th century... another Joseph Smith, but in his own place and with a different name. There are many of them out there. None of them has ever written any book comparable to the Bible, for obvious reasons: their writings are purely human.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Have you think about the unique characteristics of the Bible as a book?

For example: although the Bible began to be written in the middle of the second millennium BC, it has never existed since then, a time when someone somewhere in the world has not been reading and studying some portion of it... for as long as 3500 years.

It is the most studied ancient book in the world, and of which there is the largest number of manuscripts. It is the most translated book in the world, the most published and the most discussed. Although it has had very powerful enemies for many eras, it managed to survive to this day.

Do you know any information about the Bible as a book that catches your attention?
No more or less than any other ancient book out there.

I'd say, "The Odyssey" by Homer and "The Republic" by Plato are the most studied.

Eli G

Maybe you don't realize that there are actual theologians here, not just layman. Maybe listen, and learn? Or not,.your choice really.
Maybe they can learn something also ... The fact that some Jewish priests became Christians in the first century makes me a bit optimistic.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Maybe they can learn something also ... The fact that some Jewish priests became Christians in the first century makes me a bit optimistic.

I'll stick with acceptance of everyone as the Gods they are, personally. Allows me to treat all as the divinity they are.

:)

Eli G

No more or less than any other ancient book out there.

I'd say, "The Odyssey" by Homer and "The Republic" by Plato are the most studied.
And how those books can be similar to the Bible in any aspect? I already mentioned some of the particularities of the Bible.

Some people around here suffer from cognitive dissonance. :rolleyes:

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
And how those books can be similar to the Bible in any aspect? I already mentioned some of the particularities of the Bible.

What about the Mahabharata which is thousands of years older than any Christian Bible? It also covers more peculiarities.

Eli G

I'll stick with acceptance of everyone as the Gods they are, personally. Allows me to treat all as the divinity they are.

:)
You sound like a machine ... Oooops, sorry.

In fact, this thread is about the Bible and some of its particularities, not about people... I don't know if I can ever understand how people go from talking about a thing or some idea, to talking about people... Well, I have an idea why, but if I start talking about it I think I'd get off track too of the issue that concerns me, which is more important; Of course, because each topic has its own thing.

Have a good day, all of you. See you next time. Behave yourselves. :cool:

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
In fact, this thread is about the Bible and some of its particularities, not about people... I don't know if I can ever understand how people go from talking about a thing or some idea, to talking about people... Well, I have an idea why, but if I start talking about it I think I'd get off track too of the issue that concerns me, which is more important; Of course, because each topic has its own thing.

No no no no no...... please tell me about how much you know about me, I love learning. You can even make it a thread to keep this one on topic.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Every Bible student knows that Moses wrote the first books of the Bible
When was the Old Testament written and who wrote it?

Composition. The first five books—Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, book of Numbers and Deuteronomy—reached their present form in the Persian period (538–332 BC), and their authors were the elite of exilic returnees who controlled the Temple at that time.

Old Testament - Wikipedia

BookTraditional AuthorshipScholarly Attribution
GenesisMosesMultiple (unknown) authors
ExodusMosesMultiple (unknown) authors
LeviticusMosesMultiple (unknown) authors
The Book of NumbersMosesMultiple (unknown) authors
DeuteronomyMosesMultiple (unknown) authors

https://www.bartehrman.com/who-wrote-the-bible/

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If the Bible is not credible as a book of God, much less credible is the book that a Muslim named Baháʼu'lláh wrote in the 19th century... another Joseph Smith, but in his own place and with a different name. There are many of them out there. None of them has ever written any book comparable to the Bible, for obvious reasons: their writings are purely human.
I advise you to not even go down that road.

The Bible was written by men, not my any prophets, and not by Jesus or Moses. The Bible writings are purely human.

The Writings of Baha'u'llah were written by Baha'ullah, who was a Messenger of God and a Manifestation of God.
They were written in His Own Pen and there is proof of that.

The British Museum is showing rarely-seen original handwriting of Baha'u'llah, as well as other archival items associated with His life, to mark the 200th anniversary of His birth. Here, an example “Revelation Writing” is on display. Nov 9, 2017

Exhibition of Baha'u'llah's writings opens at British Museum

As far as credibility and comparability to the Bible is concerned, that is a matter of personal opinion. The Bible is not at all credible to me but the Writings of Baha'u'llah are very credible to me because the are a direct revelation from God to a Messenger with no middlemen.

Twilight Hue

No. Just pointing out your error. The Bible just isn't that spectacular and quite useless for study unless you happen to be a theologian or a religion expert.

Twilight Hue

Or unless you happen to be a Christian. I'm not, so it is useless for me to study it.
Yeah I would agree it's the most studied book under Christians and for those with similar interests, but for most of the world , I don't think anyone could care less in studying it.

Tamino

Yes, but I am not particularly impressed.
For example: although the Bible began to be written in the middle of the second millennium BC, it has never existed since then, a time when someone somewhere in the world has not been reading and studying some portion of it... for as long as 3500 years.
So what? The pyramid texts were likely composed around 3000BCE or even earlier, the first written record is from around 2400, and they were actively transmitted, studied and changed for the following 2700 years until around 300 CE.
So they are on par with the bible in continuous transmission, and far older in total.
Then there's the Iliad and Odyssey, the dialogues of Plato, the Enuma Elish and the Epic or Gilgamesh all from the same region... And then the Vedic and the Chinese traditions... And many more

It is the most studied ancient book in the world, and of which there is the largest number of manuscripts. It is the most translated book in the world, the most published and the most discussed.
More's the pity, since there are far more ancient and interesting texts out there.
Although it has had very powerful enemies for many eras, it managed to survive to this day.
Maybe some enemies. But it had a lot of powerful and violent supporters who where quick to defend it and burn the competition.
Do you know any information about the Bible as a book that catches your attention?
Yes. It's not unique. It's just a rather random collection of manuscripts that was gilded in gold and lifted onto a pedestal.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

It is the most studied ancient book in the world, and of which there is the largest number of manuscripts. It is the most translated book in the world, the most published and the most discussed. Although it has had very powerful enemies for many eras, it managed to survive to this day.

Most of what you describe aren't characteristics of the book itself. Instead, they're consequences of the Bible being the holy book of horrible proseltyizers.

The Bible would be nowhere near as popular as it is if it hadn't been for lots and lots of conversions to Christianity at swordpoint over the last 2,000 years.

wellwisher

The Bible was the first book printed by the first printing press; 1436. This happened just before the Catholic Church divided; end of the 1000 years of peace from 4th century AD. This then modern technology changed the world, by making books more affordable, and available to the masses. This would slowly lead to mass literacy and education.

Before then, all books were each hand written and were very expensive. Before the printing press, the Catholic Church had legions of monks in all the countries of the empire, who hand wrote many copies. Once the cheap manufactured copies appeared, due to the printing press, so did even more points of views. The Catholic Church started to divide, but also new branches sprouted; living book. The spread of all religions benefitted by the original printing press. Hand written copies are now collector items or part of museums.

scriptorium.jpg