• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible, the MAXIMUM book

Eli G

Have you think about the unique characteristics of the Bible as a book?

For example: although the Bible began to be written in the middle of the second millennium BC, it has never existed since then, a time when someone somewhere in the world has not been reading and studying some portion of it... for as long as 3500 years.

It is the most studied ancient book in the world, and of which there is the largest number of manuscripts. It is the most translated book in the world, the most published and the most discussed. Although it has had very powerful enemies for many eras, it managed to survive to this day.

Do you know any information about the Bible as a book that catches your attention?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

For example: although the Bible began to be written in the middle of the second millennium BC, it has never existed since then, a time when someone somewhere in the world has not been reading and studying some portion of it... for as long as 3500 years.

It is the most studied ancient book in the world, and of which there is the largest number of manuscripts. It is the most translated book in the world, the most published and the most discussed. Although it has had very powerful enemies for many eras, it managed to survive to this day.

Do you know any information about the Bible as a book that catches your attention?
The Bible does not appear to be anywhere near that old. maybe 800 BCE to present at most.

Do you have any reliable sources that support this? I won't hold my breath.

Firenze

Premium Member
There were no Aborigines, Aleuts, Mongols, Japanese, Chinese, Yanomamo, Celtics, or a thousand other cultures, that were studying the bible even 1500 years ago, much less 3500. That claim is awfully hubristic.

But yeah, what catches my attention is the fact that the NT authors lied about the attributes of the Messiah, and then created their own 'prophesies' to squeeze Jesus into - rendering the NT a fraud from day one.

Firenze

Premium Member

Eli G

There were no Aborigines, Aleuts, Mongols, Japanese, Chinese, Yanomamo, Celtics, or a thousand other cultures, that were studying the bible even 1500 years ago, much less 3500. That claim is awfully hubristic.
That was not my "claim" :rolleyes:
But yeah, what catches my attention is the fact that the NT authors lied about the attributes of the Messiah, and then created their own 'prophesies' to squeeze Jesus into - rendering the NT a fraud from day one.
They were so horrible persons ... (SARCASM)
:facepalm:

Firenze

Premium Member
That was not my "claim" :rolleyes:

They were so horrible persons ... (SARCASM)
:facepalm:
You claimed at least one person must have been studying the 'bible' - a book that did not exist - 3500 years ago. Would you like to revise your claim?

Yes, people that lie and then indoctrinate children that they must either believe or be tortured for Eternity I find pretty horrible.

Eli G

You claimed at least one person must have been studying the 'bible' - a book that did not exist - 3500 years ago. Would you like to revise your claim?

Yes, people that lie and then indoctrinate children that they must either believe or be tortured for Eternity I find pretty horrible.
You need to practice your reading comprehension level. It is your problem, not mine.

Have a wonderful day. :)

Eli G

I don't have time for people with your attitude. Your behaviour says everything about your system of beliefs.

All people who behave like you are like clons of the same person.

Again: have a good one and good bye. You go to my trash can like the others. ;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That does not mean that the Bible is the best holy book or the only holy book or the holy book we should refer to for all of eternity.

Firenze

Premium Member
I don't have time for people with your attitude. Your behaviour says everything about your system of beliefs.

All people who behave like you are like clons of the same person.

Again: have a good one and good bye. You go to my trash can like the others. ;)
We make points you are incapable of responding to intelligently - then you play the 'pious victim' card ..... but we're the denialists......
OK. I suppose that explains why your reaction score is so low.

Eli G

Before King David died, he gave several pieces of advice to his son Solomon, the new king of Israel. Among them:

1 Kings 2:3 You must keep your obligation to Jehovah your God by walking in his ways and by observing his statutes, his commandments, his judgments, and his reminders as they are written in the Law of Moses; then you will succeed in everything you do and everywhere you turn.

That law of Moses is the first five books of the Bible that we have in our homes today and can read. Evidently, these books already existed in David's time. When Jehovah gave the law to Moses he told him that in the future, when they had kings in Israel, these kings were to make a personal copy of the law and read from it.

Deut. 17:14 “When you enter the land that Jehovah your God is giving you and you have taken possession of it and are living in it, and you say, ‘Let me appoint a king over myself like all the nations around me,’ 15 in that case, you should without fail appoint a king whom Jehovah your God chooses. You should appoint a king from among your brothers. You are forbidden to appoint over yourself a foreigner who is not your brother. 16 However, he should not acquire many horses for himself or make the people go back to Egypt in order to obtain more horses, since Jehovah told you, ‘You must never go back again by this way.’ 17 Neither should he take many wives for himself, so that his heart may not go astray; nor should he acquire vast amounts of silver and gold for himself. 18 When he takes his seat on the throne of his kingdom, he must write for himself in a book a copy of this Law, taken from the one kept by the Levitical priests.

These things are not known to the enemies of the Bible, because when they read it they do so with the purpose of finding what they can criticize in it... not to realize the errors of appreciation they make and the false ideas with which others have given them cheated.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We make points you are incapable of responding to intelligently - then you play the 'pious victim' card ..... but we're the denialists......
OK. I suppose that explains why your reaction score is so low.
He threw me in the trash can and put me on Ignore as soon as I disagreed with him about the Bible, which is why he won't see what I said in post #13 on this thread.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

For example: although the Bible began to be written in the middle of the second millennium BC, ...
  1. Think of "the Bible as a book" seems far less productive than is recognizing Tanakh as a a collection of disparate texts.
  2. To say that "the Bible began to be written in the middle of the second millennium BC" is a faith claim which is very likely baseless.

Eli G

Every Bible student knows that Moses wrote the first books of the Bible in the first months after the exile, because in them he wrote down many laws that God gave him directly for the people that He Himself formed from some descendants of Abraham, and who he was protecting.

Any interested Bible student can establish a biblical chronology that shows that Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt in the year 1513 BC.

Of course, there are many Bible haters who do not want to study these matters, but who are very willing to believe what modern Bible haters want them to believe.

PS: Maybe in the future I will create a forum topic about biblical chronology in detail... I have already done it in other forums.