• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best books on Druidic Magic?

Theweirdtophat

Does anyone happen to know any or familiar with some? I know Danu Forest has some like Celtic Tree Magic, and The Druid Shaman. Druid Magic by Greer I hear is good. Are there any that involve working with tree magic and tree spirits and other nature spirits, ones that let you work with the natural forces, ect. Does anyone know or know any links?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
As I mentioned in the other thread, I really don't bother with this literature anymore, but I did happen to read Greer's work because I have a great deal of respect for the man. His writing style is extremely hit-and-miss, and this is one of his books I'd give a two stars out of five. The few gems to be mined from that book aren't worth the cover price. I think he hits the nail on the head with his words about Druidic magic and how that term is largely an oxymoron/misleading, but the bulk of the book is directed to AODA folks and contains a lot of needlessly long-winded explanations of specific practices that suffer from poor structuring. This basically means maybe a third of the book is worth reading, and the rest of it is very... meh.

With what you're looking for, TMNT, you'd have better luck looking at sources under the header of "nature magic" rather than expecting to find the word "Druid" in there. None of the "nature magic" stuff I've seen marketed as "Druidic" has struck me as reputable. This is probably because Druidry on the whole doesn't focus on spellcraft/magic - or at least none of the major Druidic organizations do - and publishers stick it on there as a buzzword to get people to pick up the book. Among the few pop spellbooks I own are Cunningham's "Earth Power" and "Earth, Air, Fire, Water." Those basically fall under the category of "nature magic" and are good for inspiration. But IMHO, a better approach is to start becoming a naturalist. Learn about the science and ecology of your local relations, because that's who they are. On rare occasions, you can find books that combine the science with the storytelling and old lore. Best book on tree lore I've run across so far is an out-of-print work by J.M. Paterson called "Tree Wisdom." There are a few newer ones that have come out, but none of them stack up to this one. Or, directly study the old lore - as in primary source literature. Read the stories that feature trees for yourself, and come to your own conclusions, rather than read tertiary sources which is what most of the "New Age" literature is.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Does anyone happen to know any or familiar with some? I know Danu Forest has some like Celtic Tree Magic, and The Druid Shaman. Druid Magic by Greer I hear is good. Are there any that involve working with tree magic and tree spirits and other nature spirits, ones that let you work with the natural forces, ect. Does anyone know or know any links?

I think this sums it up well in my limited view of druidism.
But IMHO, a better approach is to start becoming a naturalist.

Theweirdtophat, also look to your own culture for foundations in magic practices. You will have a more personal relationship with what you do and read if you are a part of it (or can be) as well.

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
Ellen Evert Hopman's 'Druid's Herbal of Sacred Tree Medicine' is something I recommend, as well as the original Druid's Herbal, same author. However, I am uncertain this is the kind of book you were looking for; as far as spellbooks or instructionals are concerned, I agree with Quintessence. The terms are misleading; in Druidry there is so much of an emphasis (at least in my experience) on owning your own path in every detail, the kind of instructionals with most authenticity (and usually least commercial appeal) are very informative but expect the individual to take that information and turn it into magic of their own making, as they see fit.

In my studies so far, I've often been detoured by having to learn an entirely new skill or approach to something in order to master a lesson; but that circuitous, often arduous journey is the real point of the lessons. In Druid magic it's important that you take responsibility and infuse it with your own thoughts, energies, etc; so if you want something like a wand, you make it yourself by communicating with the trees, then fashioning it by instinct into what you feel it should be.

There are guidelines sometimes; for instance, buckskin or leather or other natural material is recommended for making your crane bag [though it's still preferred that you make it yourself rather than buying it whole, and the more you can participate in its original creation the better].

But even those guidelines are not set in stone per se, it's more important by far to create your own magic - or not - as you forge your own path.

Druidry is by far the most independence-focused faith I've encountered, even when you're part of a group. So, I don't pretend to vast personal reading on the subject, because at least in my order that's not the main point. More to the point would be creating your own spellbook with your reading materials being more like textbooks. This is how mugwort was used by the ancients and this is why; this is when these particular people harvested mistletoe for this ritual and why; this is how a particular animal was perceived by this group of scholars and their explanation; and so forth. You're more expected to draw your own conclusions from the surrounding data, rather than following specific recipes or spells or patterns.

I never felt like I could take myself seriously when I would read things marketed as 'druid magick spellbooks' or whatever; that's not to say they couldn't be helpful to SOMEone, but in my experience it's an instamatic approach to something that really isn't meant to be rushed or made easily available. Working individually to find your own patterns and approaches is the important part, because it develops you on your path by bringing out your creativity and intellect in every spiritual endeavor; forcing you to function as a whole rather than compartmentalizing 'this is spiritual stuff' 'this is physical work' and 'this is studying'. But of course your experience and emphasis could be entirely different, and that's kind of the point too.

I hope that makes sense. I've been working nights AND days for a couple of weeks, and my body is cursing me for permanently screwing over my circadian rhythms, haha; so I'm not particularly coherent. *sigh*

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I'm not really sure what makes something "Druid Magic" as far as I am aware nothing much is different in primary magic practice than any other group or belief that would do the ritual types of magic. Don't limit yourself to the fluff authors who call everything Tree, Fairy, or Celtic.. Evade Llewellyn published books like plague unless specifically told by someone drastically your senior that a particular title is important. Most of them are mass-market new age ****ery and don't have real useful info in them. There are plenty of neo-shamanistic titles like Jan Fries Visual Magick that will basically give you everything you need and are sympathetic to your interests. Steal techniques, but build your cosmology on your own. Don't worry about the authors biases!

Theweirdtophat

Ellen Evert Hopman's 'Druid's Herbal of Sacred Tree Medicine' is something I recommend, as well as the original Druid's Herbal, same author. However, I am uncertain this is the kind of book you were looking for; as far as spellbooks or instructionals are concerned, I agree with Quintessence. The terms are misleading; in Druidry there is so much of an emphasis (at least in my experience) on owning your own path in every detail, the kind of instructionals with most authenticity (and usually least commercial appeal) are very informative but expect the individual to take that information and turn it into magic of their own making, as they see fit.

In my studies so far, I've often been detoured by having to learn an entirely new skill or approach to something in order to master a lesson; but that circuitous, often arduous journey is the real point of the lessons. In Druid magic it's important that you take responsibility and infuse it with your own thoughts, energies, etc; so if you want something like a wand, you make it yourself by communicating with the trees, then fashioning it by instinct into what you feel it should be.

There are guidelines sometimes; for instance, buckskin or leather or other natural material is recommended for making your crane bag [though it's still preferred that you make it yourself rather than buying it whole, and the more you can participate in its original creation the better].

But even those guidelines are not set in stone per se, it's more important by far to create your own magic - or not - as you forge your own path.

Druidry is by far the most independence-focused faith I've encountered, even when you're part of a group. So, I don't pretend to vast personal reading on the subject, because at least in my order that's not the main point. More to the point would be creating your own spellbook with your reading materials being more like textbooks. This is how mugwort was used by the ancients and this is why; this is when these particular people harvested mistletoe for this ritual and why; this is how a particular animal was perceived by this group of scholars and their explanation; and so forth. You're more expected to draw your own conclusions from the surrounding data, rather than following specific recipes or spells or patterns.

I never felt like I could take myself seriously when I would read things marketed as 'druid magick spellbooks' or whatever; that's not to say they couldn't be helpful to SOMEone, but in my experience it's an instamatic approach to something that really isn't meant to be rushed or made easily available. Working individually to find your own patterns and approaches is the important part, because it develops you on your path by bringing out your creativity and intellect in every spiritual endeavor; forcing you to function as a whole rather than compartmentalizing 'this is spiritual stuff' 'this is physical work' and 'this is studying'. But of course your experience and emphasis could be entirely different, and that's kind of the point too.

I hope that makes sense. I've been working nights AND days for a couple of weeks, and my body is cursing me for permanently screwing over my circadian rhythms, haha; so I'm not particularly coherent. *sigh*

I understand what you mean, it is an independent path but I do have to ask, how can I make my own spells unless I look at how spells are to be made? I felt it would behoove me to look at other Druidic spellbooks so I could have a better frame of reference. I figure Celtic Tree Magic would be good. Danu Forest is a great author and it involves working with tree spirits, the otherworld and so forth since she also has shamanistic qualities. I felt that by practicing Druidry, it would only be appropriate if I could study magic that is the same or similar to what the druids practice, as it may not benefit me to study Jewish or Norse magic.

I will check out the books you suggested as they do sound most interesting. :)

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
I understand what you mean, it is an independent path but I do have to ask, how can I make my own spells unless I look at how spells are to be made? I felt it would behoove me to look at other Druidic spellbooks so I could have a better frame of reference. I figure Celtic Tree Magic would be good. Danu Forest is a great author and it involves working with tree spirits, the otherworld and so forth since she also has shamanistic qualities. I felt that by practicing Druidry, it would only be appropriate if I could study magic that is the same or similar to what the druids practice, as it may not benefit me to study Jewish or Norse magic.

Ah, I see. Of course that makes sense - forgive me if I sounded dismissive, I didn't intend to. I was assuming you're studying with an order; in my case, the study materials for each grade themselves outline the basics and provide at least one or two methods as examples to follow in crafting our own versions of working. If I didn't have that as a source, I'd be quite lost. :shrug: If you're with an order that doesn't take the same methodology in their lessons, it might be they either provide a lot of reference points in their supplementary materials, or they may provide recommendations for further reading? Or, of course, you may not have chosen to join an order, and if you're solitary by choice you'd naturally need references from other sources.

Also I must sheepishly admit I do have Celtic Tree Magic; my mom got it for me awhile back, but it's been so long I don't recall its substance. :sweat: Idiotically, I didn't even remember Danu Forest until you mentioned her shamanistic aspect. :facepalm: Anyway, best of luck to you! :blush:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I wouldn't say don't read new age books all together. For example, I have some copies of Llewyllns books. I'm very picky with what I take from it. If it's not based on the natural world, I kind of toss it. I do remember reading about different ways in which one can do their rituals. For example, some do it by astronomical, seasonal, agricultural and husbandry. There is advice about using all your senses when you do rituals. Mind you, some of the rituals in there were a little iffy, but the context was don't limit yourself in what you can do by one or two senses.

There is a wealth of knowledge that can be gained in books. However, I would honestly start with observing your environment. One of the biggest things I'd consider is define what you mean by magic. I mean, how you define it defines what resources you find useful and what not. For example, my friend has always set food for her loved ones since childhood. She lights a white candle and says her prayers. She doesn't call it magic. While someone across the street may find a deep meaning behind these acts too but call it magic because it is related to the type of belief they have which uses magic. In my friend's case, she wouldn't consider it magic since she is Catholic and its normal for her. I'd consider it ritual if I did it because it has a different connection with me and my belief than it does for her.

So, find out what you mean by magic. Choose books with a open eye. Find out your views.

That's a good way of learning about spells; learn about yourself. Use books as references. Use yourself as scripture.

Acually, @Theweirdtophat , what do you mean by magic? How do you define it?

I gues that would give an idea of what we can advise.

If youre interested in environmental magic, looking at elemental magic (observing and working with the elements) would be a good idea. Of course, it depends on how you define "using magic" and what it is.

Anyway, sorry for the essay. I love giving advise. Like books, dont take my word for it. Takes time.

Last edited:

Theweirdtophat

Ah, I see. Of course that makes sense - forgive me if I sounded dismissive, I didn't intend to. I was assuming you're studying with an order; in my case, the study materials for each grade themselves outline the basics and provide at least one or two methods as examples to follow in crafting our own versions of working. If I didn't have that as a source, I'd be quite lost. :shrug: If you're with an order that doesn't take the same methodology in their lessons, it might be they either provide a lot of reference points in their supplementary materials, or they may provide recommendations for further reading? Or, of course, you may not have chosen to join an order, and if you're solitary by choice you'd naturally need references from other sources.

Also I must sheepishly admit I do have Celtic Tree Magic; my mom got it for me awhile back, but it's been so long I don't recall its substance. :sweat: Idiotically, I didn't even remember Danu Forest until you mentioned her shamanistic aspect. :facepalm: Anyway, best of luck to you! :blush:

It is fine as I didn't think you sounded dismissive. :) I am however not part of an order and am a solitary druid just looking a good way to practice more magic. I felt practicing tree magic would be a good start as I like to specialize in certain things. :) Never joined an order so I am not sure what others are like. Studying Ogham is interesting and I'd like to specialize in that as well. I figured after practicing magic I could make my own in the future, especially after looking at various authors so I could have a better frame of reference. Thank you for the luck! :D

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
Carlita's post is brilliant. :blacksunrays: Observation is absolutely key, pertaining to yourself in particular. The things you're drawn to, like Ogham, can be huge pointers toward the kind of work (magical or otherwise) that will fit you best. Things like elements, or tree species, or animals that seem to be ubiquitous when you're out and about; all these can be tremendously helpful in finding your personal niche, your guides, your 'flavor' of magic, so to speak.

Blessings of the approaching Solstice! :evergreen:

Theweirdtophat

Basically I am looking for good books on druidic magic or Celtic magic really. I felt it would be appropriate since I am into druidry and it only makes sense to practice magic based on my faith. It is so hard to find good druid books out there that are actually good. I would like something that focuses on healing, protection and also how to use wands. I do like to work with trees and magic. I don't like it when pagans try and act as if all of nature needs to be used and dominated. I don't like that mentality and prefer to work with nature.

Does anyone know any book on druidic Celtic magic that would be good for beginners?

Last edited: