• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The benefits of an apology

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
As for why some people don't apologize, they're probably subscribing to the wisdom expressed by the Duke himself:

51QMl4Zs5XL._AC_.jpg

I never really subscribed to this notion myself, although in a predatory culture where people are taught to keep a stiff upper lip, to always show the tough face, never let them see you sweat, and never show weakness, it's not too surprising.
Apologizing gives one's opponent a swelled head.

Otherwise it's a good thing. Particularly if you accidentally drop a hammer on one's big toe.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes, an apology might be offered in the expectation that it will be accepted, such as we see here:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Apologizing gives one's opponent a swelled head.

Otherwise it's a good thing. Particularly if you accidentally drop a hammer on one's big toe.

Maybe, although some might offer a cash settlement without any admission of wrongdoing.

Bthoth

Life is grand. We all make mistakes. We inadvertently insult or injure. Sometimes it might even be intentional, God forbid, in a moment of weakness. So how does a sincere apology help to undo that? Or does it?

I know people who don't apologize for anything. Why is that? What does it say about a person if they hurt someone else in some way, but than simply cannot apologize?

What say you?

If this concept doesn't interest you, I'm sorry.
Admitting wrong can help a person. Even if to keep them from committing another atrocity.