• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Baptism of Christ

Faithofchristian

Unless people are fully submerged underwater, it will not be counted or taken as baptism.
Christ Jesus sat it down as to how people are to be baptized by being fully submerged underwater himself.

Faithofchristian

So, you set yourself up as the Baptism Police?

It's evidence when Christ Jesus was baptized, being fully submerged under the water.The people back at that time were following the baptism of the old testament/ scriptures.
Seeing how the New testament was not written until the death and Resurrection of Christ Jesus.
However people were still following the baptism of the old testament/scriptures, That even to day, people are still being baptized according to the old testament/scriptures of baptism.

Ellen Brown

It's evidence when Christ Jesus was baptized, being fully submerged under the water.The people back at that time were following the baptism of the old testament/ scriptures.
Seeing how the New testament was not written until the death and Resurrection of Christ Jesus.
However people were still following the baptism of the old testament/scriptures, That even to day, people are still being baptized according to the old testament/scriptures of baptism.

I don't have the right to determine that.

74x12

It is written in the Gospel of St. Matthew 3:13-15

Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

What is the wisdom of this: since Christ possessed all essential perfection, why did He need baptism?
I can think of at least three reasons
  • To fulfill all righteousness. The humility of Christ is that even though He is sinless yet; He still was baptized to prove His humility and obedience to God. And to show His approval and support of the ministry of John.
  • So that the prophets and the Levitical priests could pass the torch on to the Promised One. John the baptist being the final prophet of the old Testament and the son of a priest was passing the torch on to Jesus the Prophet and the new order of Priesthood by Melchizedek rather than Aaron. Also, the priests in the old Testament would be ritually cleansed with water before going in to serve in the temple. And for prophets we have the example of Elijah passing on his mantle to Elisha.
  • Finally; was Jesus sanctifying or purifying the waters of baptism. Rather than the water cleansing the Christ: He made holy the water itself. So we can be baptized in the water for purification. Perhaps foreshadowed in Exodus 15:25. God showed Moses a tree that would make the bitter water sweet. Just as God showed John the baptizer the Lamb of God that would "take away the sins of the world". (John 1:29)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It is written in the Gospel of St. Matthew 3:13-15

Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

What is the wisdom of this: since Christ possessed all essential perfection, why did He need baptism?
that he was subject to the same as everyone else. god is not a respecter of persons. that he too was sent to serve the All in all, or as a servant same as the foot washing ceremony.

if you recall john the baptist said he wasn't even worthy to unlace his sandals.