• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The backfire effect

Cooky

Veteran Member
So I was watching Adam Ruins Everything this morning, and I thought this episode was pretty interesting, and it reminded me of this forum.

Watch this, and tell me what you think about 'changing peoples minds', and the 'backfire effect'.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
So I was watching Adam Ruins Everything this morning, and I thought this episode was pretty interesting, and it reminded me of this forum.

Watch this, and tell me what you think about 'changing peoples minds', and the 'backfire effect'.
This is where the genius of the sages comes in. You know what we are not the first generation to deal with this problem. We are only the most recent in the last 100,000 years; and some clever people have figured out how to deal with this problem. I don't know precisely who figured it out, but changing minds requires endurance and patience with not so much talk. Let people think you are crazy and show them you aren't. You have to be the best, so you have compete in honesty, neatness etc. This is the only way to win souls, and its always a long term strategy.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, I've noticed how this "backfire effect" can come into play in a lot of discussions.

I've noted a certain phenomenon within the culture where we're taught "not to believe everything we hear or read." There's also a certain underlying wariness of pitchmen, as well as a cynicism and skepticism regarding commercials, advertisements or anyone apparently going out of their way to convince someone of something.

There's also a certain mistrust of politicians, government, large corporate entities - even to the point that some won't believe them even if they're telling the truth.

Even the sources themselves become a subject of controversy.

This, coupled with people struggling to live from day to day and unable to understand the ways and means of the world and why things are the way they are, they're left largely confused and unsettled. They don't really know who to trust or what to believe - so instead of looking for facts, they're looking for comfort and hope.

As far as changing people's minds and the backfire effect, I think there's a presumption that "all I have to do is recite the facts to them, and that will change their minds." This seems logical on its face, but actually conveying those facts (along with the evidence to support them) is a lot more problematic and complicated.

Some might consider it "educating people," but the difference with education is that it assumes that someone who may not know about a subject actually wants to learn. It's a two-way street between educator and learner, but when it's situations as described in the video, it's a completely different process at work.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

well...gee....

I'm not emotionally driven

I don't give a damn

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The this or that syndrome, and no other option or unknown exists. That someone is right and someone is wrong.

Isnt everybody a basic scientist where they can test and self prove. Perhaps nobody should take things based on influence. Sounds good isnt good enough.