• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The afterlife?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
A student approached a famous Zen master in the city asking: “What happens after we die? This is something I’ve been thinking about for a long time and need to know. What happens after we die?” he repeated.

The Zen master said: “I don’t know!”

“You don’t know?” the student shouted in shock. “But you are a venerable zen master!”

“That may be true but I’m not a dead one,” the Zen master said.

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
"Don't-know-mind" is central to Zen, which gets at the core of the teachings - namely, by putting them into practice.

While philosophizing has its place in Buddhism, ultimately, it tends to lead to needlessly complicated metaphysical speculation. This, the Buddha taught, should be set aside. True wisdom arises from practice, not from discursive theorizing on the afterlife, which amounts to little more than speculative metaphysics.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Just because I don't know for certain doesn't mean that I don't have a pretty good idea. :)

MonkeyFire

Dust to dust. You will go back to spirit until your body is ready to be born again and you have another chance at living forever. Death is not nirvana. Nirvana is the lack of suffering and death IMO. I have been in nirvana in dreams and for moments at a time but I haven't sustained the enlightenment. You want to end the cyclic life's by achieving eternal life and nirvana once and for all.

Acala

Exactly as is stated in the early Suttas. Mahayana doesn't differ with the Pali Canon. Mahayana simply added various other influences from Nagajuna and other influential Buddhist thinkers.