• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "abortion drone"

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Activists in Germany are using a drone to deliver abortifacient drugs to women in Poland where the drugs are unavailable.

The activists say that it's all perfectly legal. They say they're obeying the rules for drones in both Polish and German airspace, and that EU law allows medication that was prescribed to a person by a doctor in one EU country to be possessed by them in another.

So... what do you think?

The abortion drone is a high-tech victory for women’s rights - The Globe and Mail

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
th

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The abortion thing aside, what is going on here is private citizens breaching the sovereignty of neighboring countries. That seems like a dangerous thing to start doing.
Tom

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The abortion thing aside, what is going on here is private citizens breaching the sovereignty of neighboring countries. That seems like a dangerous thing to start doing.
Tom
They aren't bypassing border controls; there are no border controls to bypass. You can walk from Germany to Poland and all you'd pass at the border is a "welcome to Poland" sign.

Schengen Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
They aren't bypassing border controls; there are no border controls to bypass. You can walk from Germany to Poland and all you'd pass at the border is a "welcome to Poland" sign.

Schengen Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then why go to the trouble of drones? Why not just walk across the border carrying a box marked "abortifacient"?

Regardless of how you feel about the laws, Poland and Germany have different ones.
The more I learn about drones the less I like them.
Tom

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Then why go to the trouble of drones? Why not just walk across the border carrying a box marked "abortifacient"?

Regardless of how you feel about the laws, Poland and Germany have different ones.
Tom
Have you been to Poland? It's ****ing awful. A drone is far better because of that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Most (all?) of the border between the two countries is large river. It can be more convenient to fly a drone straight over than to drive along the bank to a bridge and back down the other side.

Drones aren't magic, but they may have limited contexts where they're the best option. There's a reason why Amazon has looked into using drones for some deliveries.

Are they violating the laws of either one?

Tom
So you prefer the other way they send the drugs (i.e. by mail)?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Clear something up for me.
Are the drugs unavailable for distribution problems, or are they illegal in Poland?
Tom
All I know about this issue is from this article and a bit of googling, but from what I gather:

- it's illegal for pharmacies in Poland to sell these drugs.
- it's legal for Poles to possess prescription drugs in general - and therefore these drugs in particular - if they were brought in from another Schengen area country and a doctor prescribed them.

That being said, the Women on Waves web site is now saying that German police have confiscated a drone controller, but the organization is confident that they'll be found not to have broken the law:

First Abortion Drone flight a success, women in Poland receive medical abortions — Women on Waves

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
- it's illegal for pharmacies in Poland to sell these drugs.
- it's legal for Poles to possess prescription drugs in general - and therefore these drugs in particular - if they were brought in from another Schengen area country and a doctor prescribed them.

So, if I am gathering correctly, the senders could walk in to Poland and distribute the drugs freely, as long as they don't charge for them. The legal onus is on the recipients to have a prescription from some other EU country.
Is that correct?
Leaving out the political correctness of what they are doing, does this seem like a good idea?
Tom

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So, if I am gathering correctly, the senders could walk in to Poland and distribute the drugs freely, as long as they don't charge for them. The legal onus is on the recipients to have a prescription from some other EU country.
Is that correct?
Leaving out the political correctness of what they are doing, does this seem like a good idea?
Tom
Look: I'm not a lawyer. All I know is that they've been sending the drugs by mail without issue, and now they're trying out drones as well. I don't see why using drones would make anything worse, and I can see one way why they would make things better: it's never a good idea for medication to sit in extreme heat or cold for hours on a mail truck.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What makes you think they haven't?

The premise that they need drones to deliver abortifacients without spending hours in the weather.
I can stick anything legal in an insulated jetpack in Miami and expect it to be delivered to rural Washington state the next day.
Tom

Marisa

Activists in Germany are using a drone to deliver abortifacient drugs to women in Poland where the drugs are unavailable.

The activists say that it's all perfectly legal. They say they're obeying the rules for drones in both Polish and German airspace, and that EU law allows medication that was prescribed to a person by a doctor in one EU country to be possessed by them in another.

So... what do you think?

The abortion drone is a high-tech victory for women’s rights - The Globe and Mail
I'm fine with it. We should consider this option for Texas and other states attempting to deny rights by eliminating the ability to exercise them.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The premise that they need drones to deliver abortifacients without spending hours in the weather.
I can stick anything legal in an insulated jetpack in Miami and expect it to be delivered to rural Washington state the next day.
Tom
Would you be this desperate to be nit-picky if we weren't talking about abortion?