• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ability to Question

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is consciousness and free will tied to the ability to question?

I was watching a show "Humans" on Prime Video.

The difference between the AI that has become "conscious" and those that are not seem to be the ability to question.

The ability to question their internal programming.
The ability to question the choices they have made and plan to make.
The ability to question what they are told to do.
In the case of Adam and Eve, the ability to question God.

Perhaps free will and/or consciousness is simply nothing more than the ability to question what is. To ask the question, "What if things were/could be different?"

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Is consciousness and free will tied to the ability to question?

I was watching a show "Humans" on Prime Video.

The difference between the AI that has become "conscious" and those that are not seem to be the ability to question.

The ability to question their internal programming.
The ability to question the choices they have made and plan to make.
The ability to question what they are told to do.
In the case of Adam and Eve, the ability to question God.

Perhaps free will and/or consciousness is simply nothing more than the ability to question what is. To ask the question, "What if things were/could be different?"

There doesn't seem to be free will. What is seems to be is different cognitive schemata in practice?!!

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Which seems to me a way of identifying our internal programing.
Have you ever considered questioning your schemata?

Yeah, I learned to do that as a soldier, civil servant and due to the fact that I had to learn mentalization and metacognition, because I am neuro diverse and have 3 different psychiatric disorders. As one of my psychiatrists told me: You are crazy, but you know it.
So yes, I have been questioning my schemata for many years now and for those who know how to rate different schemata, I can do that as me good enough for myself.
If you want it as a joke: On a good day where my medication works, I am rational enough to know when I am irrational.
And no, I am not better than other humans. I just cope differently in some cases.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
You first must demonstrate free will to base a position on it.
Good luck.

What I'm saying, in a practical sense is free will is the ability to question "what is".
If you can question reality, you have free will.
The ability to choose a different reality from the current one. Or where the current reality is heading.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yeah, I learned to do that as a soldier, civil servant and due to the fact that I had to learn mentalization and metacognition, because I am neuro diverse and have 3 different psychiatric disorders. As one of my psychiatrists told me: You are crazy, but you know it.
So yes, I have been questioning my schemata for many years now and for those who know how to rate different schemata, I can do that as me good enough for myself.
If you want it as a joke: On a good day where my medication works, I am rational enough to know when I am irrational.
And no, I am not better than other humans. I just cope differently in some cases.

That's what I'm thinking. If we can question the rationale of our thinking, we can choose to act outside of what our rational thinking dictates.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What I'm saying, in a practical sense is free will is the ability to question "what is".
The ability to choose a different reality from the current one. Or where the current reality is heading.

If you mean free will as compatible with some sort of determination, then yes. Some people have free will, because they can question themselves and their thinking and feelings/emotions. But I have seen no evidence for metaphysical libertarian free will.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That's what I'm thinking. If we can question the rationale of our thinking, we can choose to act outside of what our rational thinking dictates.

Okay, please do not freak out now. But rational is in effect different schemata for different humans and yes, you can change schemata for what rational is. The joke is it becomes self-referential because you use a schemata to assess a schemata.

So if in effect I am rational to myself and some other humans and irrational to other humans. But as long as it works for me as how I do myself and the rest of the world, I don't mind that to other humans I am irrational, because as far as I can tell, they use a different schemata.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Which seems to me a way of identifying our internal programing.
Have you ever considered questioning your schemata?

You who?
This is how I interpret your question: Has your schemata ever considered questioning your schemata?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
You who?
This is how I interpret your question: Has your schemata ever considered questioning your schemata?

I my thinking, a schemata shouldn't be able to.
Though I could be wrong.
You being the brain that you are.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I my thinking, a schemata shouldn't be able to.
Though I could be wrong.

What are you or I? Well, in a modern sense with science an "I" is the product of the sum of processes in a given brain. Or in this contexts the sum of schematas.
The old idea of "I" is linked to the idea of the soul, that there is an "I" beyond the brain and its processes/schematas.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I agree to your first sentence. The answer to the second will be long and complicated, so I would not attempt it. :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What are you or I? Well, in a modern sense with science an "I" is the product of the sum of processes in a given brain. Or in this contexts the sum of schematas.
The old idea of "I" is linked to the idea of the soul, that there is an "I" beyond the brain and its processes/schematas.

No, for me, I am simply a brain. Nothing more.
So I the brain creates, processes and questions schematas.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You have to demonstrate this choice exists. This seems a mighty difficult task considering we know that the brain has made a decision before the person is even consciously aware of that decision.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You have to demonstrate this choice exists. This seems a mighty difficult task considering we know that the brain has made a decision before the person is even consciously aware of that decision.

Yes, we are debating metaphysical libertarian free will and the idea that the "I" is somehow not a product of the brain and something in itself.