• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 12 Deadliest Insects in the World

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Topping the chart at number one is your friend and mine, that lovable mosquito.

K7DID3NSKZGMRDXQI2KEAFCFLU-1024x768.jpg

Apparently, mosquitos like type-O blood and beer drinkers.

Mosquitoes have a special organ, the maxillary palp, which detects CO2 released from our breath and guides them to us, where they consume three times their own weight in blood. Mosquitoes are known to prefer beer drinkers, probably because drinking a beer increases the ethanol content in your sweat. Ethanol turns mosquitoes on. Plus, all booze increases your body temperature, which makes you easier for a mosquito to find. People of greater body mass attract more bugs for the same reason. Mosquitoes also prefer people with O type blood. Nobody knows exactly why, but the assumption is that O-blood-type people smell better, to mosquitoes at least, than everybody else.

2. Kissing Bug
3. Tsetse Fly
4. Bees
5. Indian Red Scorpion
6. Deathstalker Scorpion
7. Black Widow Spider
8. Brazilian Wandering Spider
9. Brown Recluse Spider
10. Ants
11. Fleas
12. Ticks

I knew someone who was bitten by a brown recluse. Apparently, the bite is rather insidious. I think she had to have skin grafts and it was kind of a hellish experience. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

56QHK6G5KFFDLEI4I3DW4XDKA4-1024x768.jpg

I've encountered a few black widows, although fortunately never got stung by one.

NOXWGJBTNBGSXFD4CYBHI65ZMQ.jpg

Bugs can be fascinating, but sometimes they bug me.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Topping the chart at number one is your friend and mine, that lovable mosquito.

K7DID3NSKZGMRDXQI2KEAFCFLU-1024x768.jpg

Apparently, mosquitos like type-O blood and beer drinkers.

2. Kissing Bug
3. Tsetse Fly
4. Bees
5. Indian Red Scorpion
6. Deathstalker Scorpion
7. Black Widow Spider
8. Brazilian Wandering Spider
9. Brown Recluse Spider
10. Ants
11. Fleas
12. Ticks

I knew someone who was bitten by a brown recluse. Apparently, the bite is rather insidious. I think she had to have skin grafts and it was kind of a hellish experience. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

56QHK6G5KFFDLEI4I3DW4XDKA4-1024x768.jpg

I've encountered a few black widows, although fortunately never got stung by one.

NOXWGJBTNBGSXFD4CYBHI65ZMQ.jpg

Bugs can be fascinating, but sometimes they bug me.
Spiders are NOT insects.

Ciao

- viole

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Spiders are NOT insects.

Ciao

- viole
Close enuf though that we pedants may cut these bozos some slack.
I'll even allow that the tomato is a veggie.

Anyway, the worst bug among people I know IRL is the tick.
Those things have ruined some lives with Lyme disease.
(I blame Lyme CT for originating this scourge.)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
funnel-web.jpg

Australian Funnel web spider,can be deadly and I think can sometimes be found in the toilet,spiders don’t bother me much but I hate cobwebs which make me itch,it New Zealand they have jumping spiders which for some reason like to jump on you

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Spiders are NOT insects.

Ciao

- viole

Actually, I just realized that scorpions are also arachnids, not insects. So, 5 of the 12 items on the list are not even insects. Oh well. It's Field and Stream, which was my grandfather's favorite magazine.

0ef06b64a16159982ee2fd42fea1a537.jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Close enuf though that we pedants may cut these bozos some slack.
I'll even allow that the tomato is a veggie.

Anyway, the worst bug among people I know IRL is the tick.
Those things have ruined some lives with Lyme disease.
(I blame Lyme CT for originating this scourge.)

Ticks made it to the number 12 spot on the list:

Everything in nature has a place in the great tapestry of life—except ticks, which should be killed whenever and wherever they’re found. This is because ticks can infect us with a variety of pathogens: bacteria, viruses, and protozoa. And an individual tick can carry a bunch of different pathogens, making diagnosis and treatment more than a bit problematic. Our understanding of tick-borne diseases is still in its infancy. There are 16 such diseases, four of which have been discovered in the last seven years. Lyme gets the most attention, for good reason, but the deadliest is Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, which has a case-fatality rate of 30 percent in certain untreated patients. Even with treatment, case-fatality rates of 4 percent have been reported. Survivors can be left with lifelong complications. Incidentally, don’t be distracted by the name. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is most prevalent in North Carolina, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri. Its symptoms may look like other tick diseases—fever, headache, nausea and vomiting, muscle pain, etc. There is no vaccine, but it can be treated with antibiotics.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I used to be so severely arachnophobic that merely seeing pictures of spiders would have me reaching for my back to make sure no spider was crawling there (seriously). The phobia has almost entirely subsided over the years; the last time I felt any discomfort seeing spider pictures was at least two years ago.

I'm still unsure how that happened, especially given the severity of the phobia when I had it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I used to be so severely arachnophobic that merely seeing pictures of spiders would have me reaching for my back to make sure no spider was crawling there (seriously). The phobia has almost entirely subsided over the years; the last time I felt any discomfort seeing spider pictures was at least two years ago.

I'm still unsure how that happened, especially given the severity of the phobia when I had it.

I remember watching Arachnophobia at the movie theater, and I think that was one of the few times where I was actually scared to watch a movie. That just freaked me out.

That killer cockroach scene in Damnation Alley was also pretty scary.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
funnel-web.jpg

Australian Funnel web spider,can be deadly and I think can sometimes be found in the toilet,spiders don’t bother me much but I hate cobwebs which make me itch,it New Zealand they have jumping spiders which for some reason like to jump on you

Spiders in the dunny?! Streuth!