• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That irresistable tree!!!

Arrow

My question is this: If God never told Adam and Eve to touch the tree, could they have ever sinned?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Arrow said:
My question is this: If God never told Adam and Eve to touch the tree, could they have ever sinned?

He didn't tell Adam and Eve to touch the tree.

He gave them free will. And they chose to give into temptation and carry out the forbidden.

Linus

Arrow said:

Not in that particular way. Without law there is no transgression. How can there be?

Romans 5:13 - for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law (NIV)

Arrow

Then if the only law at that time was do not eat of that tree, then how did Satan sin? Where there is good, there has to be law, right?

Bick

You are right, Dawn, nothing was said about touching the tree. Quoting from the New RSV, Gen. 2:15, "..And the Lord God commanded the man, 'You may freely eat of every tree of the garden; but of the tree of inowledge of good and evil you shall not eat...' ".
The commandment of God was broken when Adam deliberately took of the fruit and ate, knowing full well the words of God. But, IMO, this was done because he loved Eve, his "wife" so much that after she ate, he was willing too, just to be with her knowing the consequences. Eve, we are told, was deceived, being told by the serpent, among other things, "you shall not surely die". And, sadly, that lie is believed today.

As for Satan sinning. Have ye not read that it is Satan's nature to lie?

John 8:44, "You are from your father the devil, and you choose to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies." NRSV.

1 John 3:8, "Everyone who commits sin is a child of the devil; for the devil has been sinning from the beginning." Now, I do not interpret this as to think the devil could literally generate sinning human beings. It is a figure of speech. Just as in the verse up above, after the Jewish leaders said their father was God, Jesus told them their "father" was the devil, because they didn't believe him.

Another thing, if you can read the Greek scriptures, or have access to a Greek-English Interlinear NT, you will notice that the article "the" before "beginning" is not there in all these verses. It should read "in beginning", not implying it was back at the absolute beginning: In this case, Satan's, or the devil's, beginning.

Bick

finalfrogo

dawny0826 said:
He didn't tell Adam and Eve to touch the tree.

He gave them free will. And they chose to give into temptation and carry out the forbidden.
Yes He did; how else would they have known if it was forbidden or not?

finalfrogo

Arrow said:

Do you mean if God never told Adam and Eve to NOT touch the tree?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Arrow said:
Then if the only law at that time was do not eat of that tree, then how did Satan sin? Where there is good, there has to be law, right?

Satan doesn't even make an appearance in the Bible until...Chronicles?

I think you meant the serpent.

As for the law..was he under the same rules as the humans? God told Adam and Eve not to touch the tree. The text doesn't say that He told any other creature that.

Sasa

Satan and The Serpent are one in the same. The angels existed before man. But yes, they could have still sinned because they had free will (just like the angels do). Satan, when he was with the Cherubic Order (and before he fell from perfection) was chosen by God as the appointed guardian over the garden of eden. He was supposed to watch over Adam and Eve and let God know if they sinned. Unfortunately... he tempted them into sinning and... well, you know the rest.

This Scripture backs that Satan was the Garden's appointed guardian.

"You were in Eden, the garden of God. Every kind of precious stone covered you: carnelian, topaz, and diamond, beryl, onyx and jasper, sapphire, turquoise and emerald. Your mountings and settings were crafted in gold; they were prepared on the day you were created. You were an anointed guardian cherub, for I appointed you. You were on the holy mountain of God; you walked among the fiery stones. From the day you were created you were blameless in your ways until wickedness found you." Ezekiel 28:12-15 (HCSB)

gnostic

The Lost One
Since last year, I thought it was illogical to punish Adam and Eve for disobedience.

How can Eve tell right from wrong on what the serpent told her, if she hadn't eaten the forbidden fruit yet? If she didn't eat the fruit, then she really can't distinguish between good and evil, and between right and wrong, so she can't tell if the serpent was lying to her or not.

Sasa

She knew because God told them not to eat from the tree. It was about Obeying God.

"The LORD God took the man and placed him in the garden of Eden to work it and watch over it. 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree of the garden, 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for on the day you eat from it, you will certainly die." Genesis 2:15-17 (HCSB)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sasa said:
She knew because God told them not to eat from the tree. It was about Obeying God.
I agree that she was disobedient, but I don't believe that her disobedience was sinful. Sin is the voluntary transgression of a moral law or religious principle. Until she understood the difference between good and evil, she was not capable of sinning. I see her as being in much the same situation as a three-year-old child whose mother says, "Don't touch the stove. It's hot!" The child touches the stove anyway and is burned. He disobeyed his mother and must pay the consequences, but he can hardly be said to be guilty of sinning at that age. He can only be guilty of disobedience. As he gets older and comes to understand that it is wrong to disobey his mother, he becomes able to sin.

gnostic

The Lost One
But how does Adam and Eve distinguish right and wrong, if they haven't eaten the fruit yet?

How can they God was telling the truth? How can they tell that the serpent was telling the truth? They can't, because they haven't eaten the fruit yet.

If they can't tell make the distinction, then they shouldn't have been punished for what they have done. As I said in previous thread, this is a catch-22. They were punished before they knew what was right and what was wrong, and the only they can know that, is if they eat the fruit.

The Genesis' Tree of Knowledge and the punishment of Adam and Eve are illogical. It is not just or fair that God would punish them before they know right from wrong.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
gnostic said:
The Genesis' Tree of Knowledge and the punishment of Adam and Eve are illogical. It is not just or fair that God would punish them before they know right from wrong.
I disgree. I'll go along with the idea that they weren't "sinning" until they knew the difference between good and evil, but God did tell them not to eat the fruit, and He did tell them what would happen to them if they disobeyed. So how was He "unfair" by enforcing the punishment He had warned them of?

gnostic

The Lost One
Would you able to tell right from wrong without eating the fruit, if you were in the same situation as Eve when she met the serpent, Katzpur? Would you be able to tell if what the serpent telling you to be able true or not?

I don't think so. I don't think you would fare any better than Eve.

For that matter, how do you tell God was tellling the truth or not, without knowledge of right and wrong?

You can't.

And if you remember correctly, God only told Adam not to eat the fruit (Genesis 2:15-17), not Eve. Eve wasn't even created yet (Genesis 2:21-23). I don't think God told Eve the same prohibition directly. Did she hear it from Adam or from God?
It doesn't say.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
gnostic said:
Would you able to tell right from wrong without eating the fruit, if you were in the same situation as Eve when she met the serpent, Katzpur? Would you be able to tell if what the serpent telling you to be able true or not?

I don't think so. I don't think you would fare any better than Eve.

For that matter, how do you tell God was tellling the truth or not, without knowledge of right and wrong?

You can't.
Well, I just got through agreeing with you, so what's your point?

Sasa

Okay, I believe I found the answer. Adam and Eve did know right from wrong. Look at this passage:

"No! You will not die," the serpent said to the woman. "In fact, God knows that when you eat it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." Genesis 3:4-5

It says "Knowing good and evil"... not "Knowing good FROM evil."

All Adam and Eve had known thusfar was good and when they ate from the tree, their eyes were opened to evil as well.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Sasa said:
Okay, I believe I found the answer. Adam and Eve did know right from wrong. Look at this passage:

"No! You will not die," the serpent said to the woman. "In fact, God knows that when you eat it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." Genesis 3:4-5

It says "Knowing good and evil"... not "Knowing good FROM evil."

All Adam and Eve had known thusfar was good and when they ate from the tree, their eyes were opened to evil as well.
Personally, I think you're splitting hairs. It is only by being able to recognize and understand both good and evil that one can begin to choose between them. Everything has its opposite and it is impossible to know what "good" is without also knowing what "evil" is. Just as darkness is the absence of light, evil is the absence of good. Without having experienced darkness, one cannot know what light is, even if he has already experienced light. The same is true of good and evil.

gnostic

The Lost One
Katzpur said:
Personally, I think you're splitting hairs. It is only by being able to recognize and understand both good and evil that one can begin to choose between them.
Now that make much more sense. That's what I have been trying to say. How can Adam and Eve distinguish between right and wrong, without eating the fruit?