• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That bad girl, Lilith

Maureen

Seeking
And I was just pointing out that if someone believes the bible is true in it's entirety, then whatever floats their boat.

Splarnst

And I was just pointing out that if someone believes the bible is true in it's entirety, then whatever floats their boat.
OK, their boat will be floated, but that doesn't mean that Mary is a counter-example to Biblical misogyny. I don't understand why we're discussing belief here.

Bad Lilith. Refused to stay two steps behind her man. Refused to be on the bottom. Wanted to be equal to Adam. Or so I heard.

The bible doesn't say much about her. It must have been deleted during the transcribe process by the men who thought woman should know her place. Barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen. Which is one of the many reasons why I take the Bible with a grain of salt.

Has anyone ever played the game where there is a line of people and the first person says The Sky Is Blue but by the time it gets to the end of the line, the words are not The Sky Is Blue but instead is John Boinked Jill At The Top Of The Hill or some such wacko sentence.

The bible has been transcribed by too many men (I stress the word men), who had others in higher power that had agendas, so they took some passages out to suit their own during those particular times and did as they were told. Some passages never made it into what is now known as The Word Of God. And some complete gospels have been left out as well. After all, it would not suit to have the Gospels of Mary. She did not belong in the parlor with the men while they had their brandy, nor was she to bother her pretty little head over men talk. She was regulated to the other parlor, with her crochet or knitting needles with the other women folk. :rolleyes:

So, back to Lilith. Eve was not first woman. Lilith was. And the bible is very silent about her, isn't it? I guess she wanted to be in the parlor with the brandy and "men talk".
Sounds like Lilith was far too busy destroying men to be encumbered with their patriarchal tyranny.

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Bad Lilith. Refused to stay two steps behind her man. Refused to be on the bottom. Wanted to be equal to Adam. Or so I heard.
She would have been equal to adam since being created the same way as Adam instead of from Adams rib like Eve. I've always thought the rib thing was odd but it was all a conspiracy to keep women under men. After all Adam wanted a helper not an equal making all the others unworthy.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
She would have been equal to adam since being created the same way as Adam instead of from Adams rib like Eve. I've always thought the rib thing was odd but it was all a conspiracy to keep women under men. After all Adam wanted a helper not an equal making all the others unworthy.
There was no conspiracy. The story of creation did not change male female relations. They were already that same way long before Genesis was written.

idav

Being
Premium Member
There was no conspiracy. The story of creation did not change male female relations. They were already that same way long before Genesis was written.
If men wanted to keep power why wouldn't they conspire to put words in the mouth of god. That or bible God is a misogynist. God must have already created women same as the rest of the animals of both genders. Seems Eve got the shaft...

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Just beacause one was holy, doesn´t mean you´ll find...

wait how many holy women you see in the bble and how manyholy men?.... Right, I thought so
There is plenty of holy women. Mary, Eve, Judith, Esther, Ruth, Sarah, Rachel, Leah,Rebecca, etc

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
In other words, a baby factory. But what does Mary do in Gospels besides that? Nothing. She shows up at certain events, she gets dismissed by Jesus, and she gets taken care of at the end. That's it.

She was never dismissed. And she brought the Word incarnate to life.

You want a warrior rolemodel, look at Judith.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Oh Righhhttt, there was more women in the bible then just man pleasing Eve and "baby factory" Blessed Virgin! :facepalm:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
If men wanted to keep power why wouldn't they conspire to put words in the mouth of god. That or bible God is a misogynist. God must have already created women same as the rest of the animals of both genders. Seems Eve got the shaft...
Did they need to? No. They were trying to get power, they weren't trying to get more power. They were even trying to keep power. There was no fear in loosing the power they had. So why would then conspire to do something that wasn't needed in any way?

More so, Eve only gets the shaft if one wants to see it that way. There are two creation stories. One has them created as equal. If the Bible writers were really conspiring, that would not have been the case. You wouldn't see such an idea in the Bible. More so, one wouldn't see any leadership with women.

Shermana

Heretic
Lilith was created as Adams equal but she ran off, got turned into a demon,birthed 100 more demons and ate human babies. she would also rape men if they slept alone in a dwelling. she is no role model for women!

Don't forget the part about lying with all the beasts and becoming the Evil one's mistress. Definitely a role model for women indeed. Maybe a role model for donkey show workers?

And the Bible does indeed refer to "Lilith" as a "Night Spirit" as in something to be terrified by.

Splarnst

Color me confused. Is this not the general religious debates forum???
We're talking about the content of the belief, not whether the belief is held. (At least, I think so) My point was that whether I or anyone else believes it is irrelevant to discussing how the Bible portrays women.

Maureen

Seeking
We're talking about the content of the belief, not whether the belief is held. My point was that whether I or anyone else believes it is irrelevant to discussing how the Bible portrays women.

Um. Ok. You're the one asking why we are discussing it here. I answered.
In your opinion, it is irrelevant. To others, maybe not so much irrelevant. See what I mean? Differing opinions. Or are we all supposed to goosestep to what you think we all should be thinking?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Well, that's my characterization of Mark 3:31-35. The passage certainly doesn't suggest she was important.

That's the only thing she does. You're proving my point by repeating it, since there's nothing else to mention. At all.
Doesn't surprise me. You take it out of context and do not consider the over all meaning.

How about you also comment on the other women>

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Oh Rightt, actually taking note of the other women I mentioned, especially Judith, destroyed your silly arguments of sexism bs.

Splarnst

Um. Ok. You're the one asking why we are discussing it here. I answered.
You quoted and responded to me (post #19) when I didn't ask a question. I'm still not sure why.

In your opinion, it is irrelevant.
It is irrelevant to a discussion about what the text itself says. Belief of the text is outside of the text.

You're free to discuss whatever you want; I'm just telling you what I was saying.

Last edited:

Splarnst

@JacobEzra

My sole point is that Mary doesn't do anything besides have a baby. I didn't say whether the Bible as a whole was sexist. I didn't say anything about any other women. I didn't say the verse in question didn't have a message. You're expecting me to defend the entire thread rather than points I actually made.

You held Mary out as an example of the Bible giving woman a great responsibility in post #16. This whole time I've been saying that her only responsibility was to have a baby. It's a job only a woman could do anyway and the only thing she does, so it's not a good example at all. That's it. That's all I'm saying.

Maureen

Seeking
Ah. I see.
You are one of those guys that picks everything apart then claim you said this to post number blah blah. Your mind is set that you are right. Everyone else is wrong. Gotcha. No thanks. That is not debate. That is talking to yon wall. I'll pass.

Carry on.