• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That attractive orb of Thine, O Sun, please remove, so that I may see Thy true form

atanu

Premium Member
What does this mean?

Isha Upanishad

हिरण्मयेन पात्रेण सत्यस्यापिहितं मुखम् ।
hiraṇmayena pātreṇa satyasyāpihitaṃ mukham |
The face of the truth is hidden by a golden lid (the golden orb of the sun),

तत्त्वं पूषन्नपावृणु सत्यधर्माय दृष्टये ॥
tattvaṃ pūṣannapāvṛṇu satyadharmāya dṛṣṭaye ||
That attractive orb of Thine, O Sun, please remove, so that I may see Thy true form, I who am devoted to Truth.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Thank you. Can you elaborate please?
I did expect this question;). I am not a learned scholar at all, so I can't elaborate.

But by God's grace I had a few meditation experiences, and when I saw those verses I remembered what happened at those times. And this was like 1+2=3. But of course I can be totally wrong, so I will keep following this to see what the people who really know about sanskriet will say. Thanks for the verses, a good reminder of the goal of life [if I did see it correct]

And this morning I had a dream in which english verses changed into sanskriet. I forgot about it already, but now I write this reply I remembered. I didn't know why and what it meant. But just now I write this, I think God wanted me to get back on track with meditation, so gave me a little push by showing me these verses.

Anyway I do believe truth can't be found by reading. In that way your verses do make sense to me.
[And they really look beautiful]

Namastee

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What does this mean?

Isha Upanishad
तत्त्वं पूषन्नपावृणु सत्यधर्माय दृष्टये ॥​
My guess: Crown chakra closed
The Crown Chakra of the Sage who wrote the lines was open, but he was writing for others (explaining things to them that do not consider the orb as a God. The God is hidden behind the orb and behind all things in the universe). :D

stvdv

hiraṇmayena pātreṇa satyasyāpihitaṃ mukham |
The face of the truth is hidden by a golden lid (the golden orb of the sun),

तत्त्वं पूषन्नपावृणु सत्यधर्माय दृष्टये ॥
tattvaṃ pūṣannapāvṛṇu satyadharmāya dṛṣṭaye ||
That attractive orb of Thine, O Sun, please remove, so that I may see Thy true form, I who am devoted to Truth.
1: As long as the Crown Chakra is Closed we cannot see the face of Truth
2: The sage who wrote this requests to show "Thy true form" by removing "That attractive orb of Thine" to me who is "devoted to Truth"
What I read from this is that, to "see the face of Truth", this is only possible by Grace. The sage makes a request. From these 2 verses it is not yet certain if the request is (will be) granted. Next verses might show more. It also seems to give a clue that it is needed to be "devoted to Truth"

Could you perhaps give some more verses?

atanu

Premium Member
1: As long as the Crown Chakra is Closed we cannot see the face of Truth
2: The sage who wrote this requests to show "Thy true form" by removing "That attractive orb of Thine" to me who is "devoted to Truth"
What I read from this is that, to "see the face of Truth", this is only possible by Grace. The sage makes a request. From these 2 verses it is not yet certain if the request is (will be) granted. Next verses might show more. It also seems to give a clue that it is needed to be "devoted to Truth"

Could you perhaps give some more verses?

Yes. You can find Isha Upanishad and read it full. It is not big.

Isha Upanishad

atanu

Premium Member
The bare translation is below:

Invocation: ‘The (Brahman) is the Full; the visible (the world) too is the Full. From the Full (Brahman), the Full (the visible) universe has come. The Full (Brahman) remains the same, even after the Full (the visible universe) has come out of the Full (Brahman).’

Verse 1: ‘Whatever there is changeful in this ephemeral world, all that must be enveloped by the Lord. By this renunciation, support yourself. Do not covet the wealth of anyone.’

Verse 2: ‘In the world, one should desire to live a hundred years, but only by performing actions. Thus, and in no other way, can man be free from the taint of actions.’

Verse 3 : ‘In to the worlds of the asuras, devils, enveloped in blinding darkness, verily do they go after death who are slayers of the Atman, the Self.

Verse 4: ‘The self is one. It is unmoving: yet faster than the mind. Thus moving faster, It is beyond the reach of the senses. Ever steady, It outstrips all that run. By its mere presence, the cosmic energy is enabled to sustain the activities of living beings.

Verse 5: ‘It moves; It moves not. It is far: It is very near. It is inside all this: It is verily outside all this.’

Verse 6 : ‘The Wise man, who realizes all beings as not distinct from his own Self, and his own Self as the Self of all beings, does not, by virtue of that perception, hate anyone.’

Verse 7 : ‘What delusion, what sorrow can there be for that wise man who realizes the unity of all existence by perceiving all beings as his own Self?’

Verse 8 : ‘He, the self-existent One, is everywhere-the pure one, without a (subtle) body, without blemish, without muscles (a gross body), holy and without the taint of sin; the all seeing, the all knowing, the all-encompassing One is He. He has duly assigned their respective duties to the eternal Prajapatis (cosmic powers).’

Verse 9 : ‘They enter into blinding darkness who worship avidya (Ignorance); into still greater darkness, as it were, do they enter who delight in vidya (Correct Knowledge).’

Verse 10: ‘One result they say is obtained by vidya, and another result, they say, is obtained by avidya, thus have we heard from the wise ones who explained it to us.’

Verse 11 : ‘He who knows both vidya and avidya together, overcomes death through avidya and experiences immortality by means of vidya.’

Verse 12 : ‘Into deep darkness do they enter who worship the asambhuti. (the world of Becoming as detached from Being). Into still greater darkness, as it were, do they enter who delight in sambhuti. (pure Being or Brahman).’

Verse 13 : ‘One result is obtained by the path of sambhava (pure Being), and quite a different one by that of the asambhava (Becoming). Thus have we heard from the wise ones who taught it to us.’

Verse 14 : ‘He who knows sambhuti (Brahman) and vinasha (the perishable world of Becoming) both together, overcomes death through vinasha, and achieves immortality through sambhuti.’

Verse 15 : By the lid of the golden orb is the face of the Truth hidden; Please remove it, O Thou, Nourisher of the world. So that I may see Thee — I who am devoted to Truth.

Verse 16 : O, Nourisher, O lonely Courser of the heavens, O Regulator, O Sun, thou offspring of Prajapati, Remove Thy rays, gather up thy effulgence, So that I may see that which is Thy most auspicious effulgence. The Person that is in Thee, That am I.

Verse 17 : ‘The vital forces (in me are about to merge in) the immortal Prana (the cosmic energy); then this (mortal) body shall be reduced to ashes. Om! O mind! Remember; your (good) deeds, remember.’

Verse 18 : O Agni (Fire God), lead us by the good path that we may (enjoy) the wealth (the fruits of the good deeds we have done). Thou knowest all our deeds. Lord, destroy the deceitful sin in us. We salute Thee with our words again and again.

stvdv

Isha Upanishad Translation by Eknath Easwaran - वेद Veda

Thanks a lot, for making it so easy for me, providing the 18 verses below each other.

And thank you so much for this second link. A few verses didn't sound well with the first link [more dualistic], but felt correct with the second link [non-dual]. And some other verses I could understand better with the first link. So good, you provided both.

Wonderful in just 18 verses all wisdom we ever need to merge [though short, it might take long medition and practise to accomplish]

Edit: thanks for the third link also

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Wonderful in just 18 verses all wisdom we ever need to merge [though short, it might take long meditation and practice to accomplish]
No, stvdv, it does not always take long. Sometimes you understand it in a jiffy. The invocation is one of the most important verses of Advaita Hinduism. One does not need any merging, because there is only one and none other. 'You are That' (Tat twam asi).

stvdv

No, stvdv, it does not always take long

Thank you Aupmanyav, I put the word "might" hoping it also "might not" take long. Nice and optimistic confirmation, good to hear. And thanks for the additional words, makes it extra clear.
[One does not need any merging, because there is only one and none other. 'You are That' (Tat twam asi)]

Satyamavejayanti

"
atanu, What does this mean?"

Namaste,

The Sukla Yajur Veda has the Devta as "Atman", therefore IMO the Isha Upanishad should be read keeping the context of "Atma", in mind.

IMO the Isha Mantra is talking about the Satya atman, the true self, and our true nature is covered by a "Golden Lid", or the pleasures and attachments of life, the Sun is provider of light and light is also "the light of Knowledge", therefore light of knowledge removes that covering which hides our Satya Atman.

Once we have the light of knowledge about our Satya Atman, we see or we comprehend fully "dṛṣṭaye", the True Dharmah "satyadharmāya", or we will know our SwaDharmah.

The Sukla Mantra ends with "OM Kham Brahma", or OM is that Brahman that we seek, that Brahma is the Satyatman.

Well, this is my opinion.

spyrichuwel

Many ways of possibly interpreting

- reminds me of prophet Muhammad's verse "light is the limit of Allah" which is a hadith

- the orb and God being like the outer disc of a halo around a holy face, it(the orb) indicates their holiness but still isn't the face which is the actual person

- the rays of light that radiates comes from a Source and is still not the Source itself

- when you meditate on Brahman and get closest to Him, you see an Orb in your spiritual mind, yet you can go even farther

- God is the radiant Divine Sun and the rays are His creations, emanating from Him

- the Divine Sun, Surya, for me was always "the pure Being of God", "God alone", "the essence of God", "God before He created anything"

This point is supported by the Vedas connection of Surya with Narayana.

Being completely absorbed in God and thereby becoming null to the material plane for me is Surya. Being soul-to-soul with God.

Some links

https://hinduism.stackexchange.com/...ns-declare-the-sun-as-the-supreme-god-brahman

Last edited: