• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas may enact capital punishment for sex offenders

A

angellous_evangellous

Somebody tell me what's wrong with Antartica. I'm still waiting for that.

I'm afraid that would be either too expensive or unusually cruel. It would be better for all parties if they were simply hanged, although lethal injection is fairly inexpensive as well.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I'm afraid that would be either too expensive or unusually cruel. It would be better for all parties if they were simply hanged, although lethal injection is fairly inexpensive as well.
Hanging these people is fine with me. This was my well thought out alternative to people who oppose execution.

It doesn't seem any more unusually cruel than what you're proposing seeing as both methods have been shown not to kill right away.

And I don't think it is more expensive than housing and feeding these people. Have a plane fly over there once a month and drop these delightful memebers of society off into their winter wonderland. Build them and igloo give them a fishing pole and wish them happy trails.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
cardero said:
Actually this method of capital punishment seems a bit extreme for sex offenders. Whatever happened to the good ol’ days where “if a part of your body offends thee, cut it off”? This might not make him any more or less than a man but it is a practical start to put him on the road to recovery from sex offender.
How about this? That doesn't sound like a bad idea either.

Ciscokid

Well until someone can somehow defend being rigidly against capital punishment yet allowing Police to take out murderers on the street, the passivists appear to have been KO'd in this debate. The silence is very telling.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Well until someone can somehow defend being rigidly against capital punishment yet allowing Police to take out murderers on the street, the passivists appear to have been KO'd in this debate. The silence is very telling.
There have been numerous points made that I have yet to hear a rebuttal for. The only thing I've been hearing from the people opposed to capital punishment is that were dehumanizing child rapists. It's scary that people seem to be more concerned with the humanization of child rapists than the security and welfare of children. :areyoucra

And yes, the silence is deafening.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
All of the education in the world won't save you if an adult really wants to get a child. And self defense is limited to childern due to physics. It's real easy for an adult to overpower a child.

It can and has. There are incidences where self-defense education has saved children. Self-defense doesn't limit children, it provides them with confidence and awareness. An understanding of physics actually provides them with the power to overcome a stronger opponent. I've sparred with youngsters and have worked with them with self-defense techniques. An eight year old can overpower a thirty year old.

The only thing my language reflects is my absolute disgust for such a heinous and vile act. My main concern is I want to minimize the chance of this happening again with other possible offenders. If that means making the punishment more harsh, then do what it takes. If some people get the satsifaction of revenge as a result, so be it.

Excellent! I believe that you do feel this way, but I question the ability of harsh punishment as a deterrent.

Make the penalty more strict if not as strict as you can when the lives of children are at stake. It'll keep more of them in check. It doesn't seem like they're too afraid of the current punishment.

I agree to an extent. But, it doesn't seem like murderers are too afraid of the current punishment in Texas as it is.

Well we will have to respecfully disagree I guess. IMO, when you take a life in cold blood, you forfeit the right to your own.

Disagreeing in a discussion does open my mind to other possibilties, though. It helps my own view of this subject grow even while I argue. :)

Does a murderer forfeit a right to life when she or he murders, though? The right to life is intrinsic while we live, but everyone forfeits that right when we die. Murdering someone does not forfeit anything, it is a gamble like anything else in life; it assumes the risk of being murdered in response to the murder.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Guitars Cry said:
Self-defense doesn't limit children, it provides them with confidence and awareness. An understanding of physics actually provides them with the power to overcome a stronger opponent. I've sparred with youngsters and have worked with them with self-defense techniques. An eight year old can overpower a thirty year old.
I'd have to disagree there to an extent.I was a martial arts teacher and have taught self defense to women and children. If an adult male goes into "rage mode" there's little a five year old can do. I'm not saying not to teach them these things, because self defense at any age is definitely a feather in your cap.

Guitars Cry said:
Excellent! I believe that you do feel this way, but I question the ability of harsh punishment as a deterrent.
In certain Arabic countries they cut your hand off for stealing and cut the genitals off of males for cheating. Although it is really extreme and I don't agree with the harshness of that punishment for cheating or stealing, apparently it's quite effective. I feel something similar would be effective for child rapist specifically.

Guitars Cry said:
I agree to an extent. But, it doesn't seem like murderers are too afraid of the current punishment in Texas as it is
Good point. But isn't the murder rate lower than those states that don't use capitol punishment in the same manner as Texas? I'd have to research that.

Guitars Cry said:
Does a murderer forfeit a right to life when she or he murders, though? The right to life is intrinsic while we live, but everyone forfeits that right when we die. Murdering someone does not forfeit anything, it is a gamble like anything else in life; it assumes the risk of being murdered in response to the murder
Societies throughout history has put an end to it's murders when they are a threat to society. So forfeiting your life when you takesomeones in cold blood seems to have been the rule for a lot of cultures and it seems to have been pretty effective in minimizing repeat offenses.

Moey

Pedophilia is, IMO, the worst crime anyone can commit. The offender, (not always a male), strips that child of their innocence in a sense, killing them. That child has to live with that knowledge everyday for the rest of their life.

Having been a victim myself I say kill the ********. Having also been the sister of a pedophile has not changed my mind. My brother deserves to die but instead will be released after serving 8 years. He will be free to harm another child.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Pedophilia is, IMO, the worst crime anyone can commit. The offender, (not always a male), strips that child of their innocence in a sense, killing them. That child has to live with that knowledge everyday for the rest of their life.

I have also been a victim of it. I have since forgiven the person and moved on. Forgiving him was necessary for my sanity.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
There is a difference between forgiving and forgetting. Is your offender behind bars?

No, he died of a heart attack while I was still young. While it is true that his death may help me in my forgiving and objectifying the incident, he was also a close relative. If he were alive, I would still have to learn to forgive and forget it in oder to move on. Capitol punishment would have been irrelavant and possibly damaging to me in itself.

Moey

You have a right to your views as I have to mine. However, if you would want him to stay alive in prison for the rest of his life to keep him from hurting others than you and those like you can pay for it and leave my tax dollars alone. I don't feel that these scum should get three hots and a cot and other fringes they don't edvertise when good hard working law abiding citizens have to choose which meals to miss to ensure that their kids can eat.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I'd have to disagree there to an extent.I was a martial arts teacher and have taught self defense to women and children. If an adult male goes into "rage mode" there's little a five year old can do. I'm not saying not to teach them these things, because self defense at any age is definitely a feather in your cap.

Yeah, this is one of those things we're going to have to disagree on :D. "Rage mode" puts an adult male at an easy disadvantage. Whether a child could use that to her or his advantage depends on the child. But self-defense education certainly increases the chance of survival.

Self-defense is not just about overpowering, it is also about being able to avoid situations, and being aware of surroundings, what to do, and how to respond.

In certain Arabic countries they cut your hand off for stealing and cut the genitals off of males for cheating. Although it is really extreme and I don't agree with the harshness of that punishment for cheating or stealing, apparently it's quite effective. I feel something similar would be effective for child rapist specifically.

There are actually some pretty graphic vids circulating the internet showing castration for such punishment.

But this amounts to torture, and I cannot abide such a thing.

Good point. But isn't the murder rate lower than those states that don't use capitol punishment in the same manner as Texas? I'd have to research that.

I'm not sure, but it seems that if it was that effective, it would be used more often. Maybe it is. My knowledge of capitol punishment history is lacking. But it remains to be seen that murders still abound in Texas.

Societies throughout history has put an end to it's murders when they are a threat to society..

Yes, but I'm calling into question the idea of "right to life." Do murderers really forfeit this when they murder?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
You have a right to your views as I have to mine.

I agree! And I discuss and debate in order to expand my views. :)

However, if you would want him to stay alive in prison for the rest of his life to keep him from hurting others than you and those like you can pay for it and leave my tax dollars alone. I don't feel that these scum should get three hots and a cot and other fringes they don't edvertise when good hard working law abiding citizens have to choose which meals to miss to ensure that their kids can eat.

Ah, so it comes down to money?

I agree that it doesn't seem all that fair, but for what they have in terms of food and shelter, they have lost their freedom. I imagine it is rare indeed for a person to want to go to prison. It may happen, but it seems absurd.

Moey

Not as rare as one might think. But I do think our tax dollars can go to better things than protecting these people.

I agree with some that have said that they gave up their right to live when they commited these acts.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Guitars Cry said:
Yeah, this is one of those things we're going to have to disagree on :D. "Rage mode" puts an adult male at an easy disadvantage. Whether a child could use that to her or his advantage depends on the child. But self-defense education certainly increases the chance of survival.

Self-defense is not just about overpowering, it is also about being able to avoid situations, and being aware of surroundings, what to do, and how to respond
It's only a disadvantage to the rage fueled adult if somebody knows how to exploit it. Having been a teacher of Hapki-do, I'm quite familiar the concepts of self defense. And you are correct about surroundings and responses. Sometimes though that isn't enough.

Guitars Cry said:
There are actually some pretty graphic vids circulating the internet showing castration for such punishment.

But this amounts to torture, and I cannot abide such a thing.
I think I know which ones you're talking about. Make a grown man want to cry. I while I don't fully agree with using such methods, after hearing the case that I posted earleir in the thread one can't help but consider such things a possible motivator.

Guitars Cry said:
I'm not sure, but it seems that if it was that effective, it would be used more often. Maybe it is. My knowledge of capitol punishment history is lacking. But it remains to be seen that murders still abound in Texas.
I never said it would completely eliminate it, but I think it is possible that it will decrease it dramatically.

Guitars Cry said:
Yes, but I'm calling into question the idea of "right to life." Do murderers really forfeit this when they murder?
Apparently, the consensus in a lot of societies say yes. If you are cold blooded enough to rape and kill a six year old boy, then I would say yes. That is one of the most vile acts a person can commit.