• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas may enact capital punishment for sex offenders

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
The death penalty is not about revenge killing. There are some people in this world who can not be reasoned with and become a real threat. Our prison systems in the mean time are overflowing. Even though no decent human wants to take anyones life when it comes down to the life of a predator or the life of innocent children I believe the choice is pretty simple.

Our prison systems are overflowing with inmates because of the failed War on Drugs. To claim that abolishing capital punishment would put children in more danger is ridiculous; sparing the life of a rapist does not result in the child being raped again. The death penalty does come down to revenge. It costs more than life in prison, does not have a record of deterrence, is fallible, is not blind to gender and race, and most importantly steals human life.

Passivism is a murderers best friend. Inaction is what lead to the rise of Hitler.

Since you hijacked the thread in order to attack pacifism, I'll just comment that revenge for WW1 resulted in the rise of Nazi Germany. If people had listened to pacifists before OR after the war it could have been avoided.

Ciscokid

Since you hijacked the thread in order to attack pacifism, I'll just comment that revenge for WW1 resulted in the rise of Nazi Germany. If people had listened to pacifists before OR after the war it could have been avoided.

If you think revenge is the main or only reason for capital punishment then as far as I'm concerned your way off. I would say 'revenge' has little to do with it.

I find it interesting that none of the passivists will answer the scenario I posed.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
If you think revenge is the main or only reason for capital punishment then as far as I'm concerned your way off.

Revenge, yes. Greed also.

The same concepts the fuel those who support quick capital punishment.

I would say 'revenge' has little to do with it.

I find it interesting that none of the passivists will answer the scenario I posed.

Most pacifists would order their men to fire, so I don't see what the point is in making up such a radical scenario. Capital punishment is hardly self-defense, if that's what you're trying to get at. :confused: Abolitionists and pacifists are independent terms.

Ciscokid

Revenge, yes. Greed also.

The same concepts the fuel those who support quick capital punishment.

How does greed come into play exactly?

Most pacifists would order their men to fire, so I don't see what the point is in making up such a radical scenario. Capital punishment is hardly self-defense, if that's what you're trying to get at. :confused:

Sane people would order the men to fire. What I'm getting at is that I think any reasonable/sane person will admit that there comes a time to end someones life when they start to threaten our citizens lives.

Jaymes said:
I don't care what someone has done; we don't have a right to take their life. PERIOD.

I'm waiting for Jaymes to admit that this isn't true at all. WE DO have a right and we execute that right all the time in the streets with our Police and those who repeatedly THREATEN the lives of our citizens and our loved ones.

You guys are trying to say that just because someone gets arrested we no longer have this right to make a decision whether or not we'll allow them to participate in our society.

Keep in mind that these vicious murderers have killed while in prison...and prison escapes CAN and DO happen. Your stance on this issue is dangerous and amounts to allowing evil to continue to harm our society.

Keep in mind...I don't think ALL murderers should be executed...but the ones who show that they will repeatedly murder and take innocent lives have given up their right to exist and be given the chance to do it again and again.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I find it frightening that people who would designate other human beings to the status of animals can also vote.

I don't care what someone has done; we don't have a right to take their life. PERIOD. Otherwise you are doing the exact same thing these "evil" people have done. "Augh, you killed someone! I'm going to kill you!"

Can ANYONE see the senseless double-standard in this? Someone? Anyone?
I'll tell you what's more frightning is that people actually think these monsters deserve to be called humans.

You forfeit your rights as a citizen(which include the right to live) when you take the life of someone else. Especially if it is that of a helpless child. This sicko was already in jail once and got out. His rehabilitation obviosly didn't work.

Seriously, how many more kids have to die due to these monsters and a faulty justice system? If you don't feel they should be executed by human hands, fine. Douse them in chum and chuck them off the coast of South Africa where they will be properly disposed of. You'll be doing society a favor knowing that such cruel and evil acts will never have a chance of being commited by this person anymore.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Interesting. I can't think of one good reason to hang them.
Torturing a six year old by raping him (which the family took turns doing) and then choking the life out of his little body isn't a good enough reason? Preventing this evil person from ever having a chance to commit such acts again isn't good enough?

You're right. What he needs is more rehabilitation. Tough luck for the family of that little boy, this poor soul just wasn't rehabilitated enough. He needs help. It's ok after he gets out on parole in another 40 years and kills another child, he just needed more rehabilitation. Lets' rehabilitate him until he's dead from old age! Let's make taxpayers pay for his food and shelter and rehabilitation! Even though he doesn't deserve the sweat off a horses butt.

Seriously, you want to put these monsters somewhere for the remainder of their life where they wont do no harm to anybody? Off to the Antartic they go! We shouldn't be wasting anything on these scum.

standing_alone

I've avoided posting in this thread because it's a touchy subject for me for many reasons, but I want to respond to this:

Mister T said:
I'll tell you what's more frightning is that people actually think these monsters deserve to be called humans.

I think it's dangerous to get in the line of thought where we start "dehumanizing" criminals, no matter how terrible their crimes are. The fact is, they ARE human and we, too, are just as capable of commiting terrible acts. These ARE humans and they are showing the darker side of our humanity. This may be frightening for some to acknowledge--that these criminals are just as human is we are and we are just as capable of doing what they have done--but most of us luckily have restraint and no strong desire to harm others, unlike them. They certainly must face consequences for what they do wrong; I am opposed to the death penalty and think life in prison without parole is suitable.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'm waiting for Jaymes to admit that this isn't true at all.
I'm afraid you're going to be waiting forever on that one.

And the amount of dehumanization in this thread honestly disturbs me. I might pick it back up when I can deal with that, but right now I can't.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
If you think revenge is the main or only reason for capital punishment then as far as I'm concerned your way off. I would say 'revenge' has little to do with it.

Exactly. This isn't some macho revenge thing. It's about the safety and wellfare of society. Prevention from this happening again. That' what it's about.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
You're right, we shouldn't dehumanize them. We should give them a medal and a pat on the back for being "human."

Believe or not, I'm pretty pacifistic. But for this particular bunch, I really have no comapssion for. They had no trouble or conscious when they dehumanized that child
by raping him and strangling him to death for their own selfish ends.

standing_alone said:
I am opposed to the death penalty and think life in prison without parole is suitable.
Fine. I'm ok with that. As long as you throw them in Anartica where they can't harm nobody and tax dollars arent being spent to help him stay alive.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I'm afraid you're going to be waiting forever on that one.

And the amount of dehumanization in this thread honestly disturbs me. I might pick it back up when I can deal with that, but right now I can't.
Shame...I was actually hoping you could give a rebuttal.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think it's dangerous to get in the line of thought where we start "dehumanizing" criminals, no matter how terrible their crimes are. The fact is, they ARE human and we, too, are just as capable of commiting terrible acts. These ARE humans and they are showing the darker side of our humanity. This may be frightening for some to acknowledge--that these criminals are just as human is we are and we are just as capable of doing what they have done--but most of us luckily have restraint and no strong desire to harm others, unlike them. They certainly must face consequences for what they do wrong; I am opposed to the death penalty and think life in prison without parole is suitable.

I agree!

I think the enthusiastic call for a criminal's blood (especially in the form of public hangings), is a "civilized" response to this darker side.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I agree!

I think the enthusiastic call for a criminal's blood (especially in the form of public hangings), is a "civilized" response to this darker side.
Who's calling for blood? I just want 0% chance of this happening again and I don't want society supporting him in anyway. What's wrong with Antartica?

standing_alone

Mister T said:
We should give them a medal and a pat on the back for being "human."

Well, if that ain't twisting what I've said. :rolleyes:

But for this particular bunch, I really have no comapssion for. They had no trouble or conscious when they dehumanized that child
by raping him and strangling him to death for their own selfish ends.

Believe it or not, I can't spare much compassion for sex offenders, either (I was victimized by one, after all). And believe it or not, I'm not a pacifist. I just oppose the death penalty as I see it as merely a revenge killing, it is not effective as a deterrant, and, thus, isn't worth the cost. Capital cases cost more to pursue than life imprisonment cases. Since people can be wrongly convicted, the death penalty poses the risk of executing innocent people. If these guys are sitting in a prison cell, they're not going to be hurting anymore children.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Standing_Alone said:
Well, if that ain't twisting what I've said. :rolleyes:
I wasn't trying to twist what you said. I was using severe sarcasm. ;)

Standing_Alone said:
Since people can be wrongly convicted, the death penalty poses the risk of executing innocent people
This has been cut down dramatically with DNA testing. Although I'm sure it is still probable.

Standing_Alone said:
If these guys are sitting in a prison cell, they're not going to be hurting anymore children.
And you'll have the same desired effect if they're in Anartica. Only you'll be saving a ton of hard earned taxpayer money. You can then take that money and put it towards something incredibly more useful and productive, such as helping the homeless.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Who's calling for blood? I just want 0% chance of this happening again and I don't want society supporting him in anyway. What's wrong with Antartica?

I agree that the horrible things that happen to children shouldn't happen. But they do. They always have and they will continue, whether we kill sex offenders or not.

Education is the best way to do so. We need to protect our children by learning how to prevent this stuff before it happens. Teach them how to respond to a dangerous situation. Teach them self-defense. Teach them how to survive. It won't prevent every attack, but it will do a better job than relying on capitol punishment to deter criminals.

Life is dangerous, and this stuff will continue to be a part of it.

Capitol punishment is indeed primarily about revenge. Killing the sex offender does nothing to heal the damaged child, nor will it prevent sex crime. It's about seeing someone that hurts our children getting hurt back (worse, maybe?). The language used in previous posts makes that clear.

But, all in all, I do understand the need for revenge. It's an emotion we all probably feel from time to time. I don't begrudge the call for blood completely--I just don't think I can support capitol punishment on that reason alone, and unfortunately, it's the only reason I see in it.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Guitars Cry said:
Education is the best way to do so. We need to protect our children by learning how to prevent this stuff before it happens. Teach them how to respond to a dangerous situation. Teach them self-defense. Teach them how to survive. It won't prevent every attack, but it will do a better job than relying on capitol punishment to deter criminals.
All of the education in the world won't save you if an adult really wants to get a child. And self defense is limited to childern due to physics. It's real easy for an adult to overpower a child.

Guitars Cry said:
Capitol punishment is indeed primarily about revenge. Killing the sex offender does nothing to heal the damaged child, nor will it prevent sex crime. It's about seeing someone that hurts our children getting hurt back (worse, maybe?). The language used in previous posts makes that clear.
The only thing my language reflects is my absolute disgust for such a heinous and vile act. My main concern is I want to minimize the chance of this happening again with other possible offenders. If that means making the punishment more harsh, then do what it takes. If some people get the satsifaction of revenge as a result, so be it.

If you want to believe that my primary reason (or main concern) for the death penelty is something other than what I have underlined in bold, knock yourself out. If I were to base my justice on my "primary" feelings, it would be a lot crueler than anything I have posted. Killing this type of sex offender is the worst you can do and I don't think it's unreasonable. Putting fear into these people will make them them less likely to do it. Make the penalty more strict if not as strict as you can when the lives of children are at stake. It'll keep more of them in check. It doesn't seem like they're too afraid of the current punishment.

Guitars Cry said:
But, all in all, I do understand the need for revenge. It's an emotion we all probably feel from time to time. I don't begrudge the call for blood completely--I just don't think I can support capitol punishment on that reason alone, and unfortunately, it's the only reason I see in it.
Well we will have to respecfully disagree I guess. IMO, when you take a life in cold blood, you forfeit the right to your own.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Let's say you're the Mayor of a small city. You get a phone call that some nutcase is on top of the chamber of commerce building shooting at people with a rifle. The authorities state that they have sight of the guy and are just awaiting your orders to fire.

Two people are dead already....you can have your officers fire on him....or you can have them get a megaphone out and try to talk him down and get him put in prison.

What do you do?
I'd like to hear an answer for that too.