• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Government money and the mentally ill

Riders

15 years ago I went to an outpatient clinic in Dallas called ABC behavioral health and also Metrocare. They offered free group therapy psychiatric treatment and meds, classes on how to deal with mental illness, and a free lunch every day. Metrocare is still here, and ABC Behavioral heath is closed. I went to Metrocare and they told me that Texas no longer has the money to fund programs like theirs unless you are a drug addict and or alcoholic.

They said Texas money has to go toward addiction and there's nothing left for the mentally ill. I called Nami and Metrocare both because my sister asked me 10 years ago if I were interested in living in a halfway house. I really didn't want to go. But I checked them out just in case. Both Nami and Metrocare told me the same thing about halfway houses. If your a drug addict or alcoholic in Dallas Fortworth yes there are some. But Texas does not have halfway houses for the mentally ill like they use to.

So I assume this all has something to do with politics.
But anyways, I hear Nami has some good support groups, which I may check out eventually. For now, I attend bipolar depression support groups on the internet through meetups. Some day I will check out Nami.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
15 years ago I went to an outpatient clinic in Dallas called ABC behavioral health and also Metrocare. They offered free group therapy psychiatric treatment and meds, classes on how to deal with mental illness, and a free lunch every day. Metrocare is still here, and ABC Behavioral heath is closed. I went to Metrocare and they told me that Texas no longer has the money to fund programs like theirs unless you are a drug addict and or alcoholic.

They said Texas money has to go toward addiction and there's nothing left for the mentally ill. I called Nami and Metrocare both because my sister asked me 10 years ago if I were interested in living in a halfway house. I really didn't want to go. But I checked them out just in case. Both Nami and Metrocare told me the same thing about halfway houses. If your a drug addict or alcoholic in Dallas Fortworth yes there are some. But Texas does not have halfway houses for the mentally ill like they use to.

But anyways, I hear Nami has some good support groups, which I may check out eventually. For now, I attend bipolar depression support groups on the internet through meetups. Some day I will check out Nami.
That is very saddening to hear. Lower taxes gives us fewer resources. They may tell you to just pray about it.

We Never Know

No Slack

Sorry to hear that. It seems many in the US go without. Health and housing should be a priority but our priorities lie with giving billions away.

Best of luck to you.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Texas, hmm. Do I misremember that or were Texas politicians among those who reject gun control because its the bad mental health that causes mass shootings not the guns? And that doing more for mental health will reduce gun violence more than restrictions?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Anecdotally, even where the mental health fund 'funding pie' is larger, or growing, people with dual diagnosis conditions of addiction/abuse alongside mental health issues are major focus factors.

That's completely understandable due to the active impact and visibility of people suffering mental health and substance abuse issues (in particular).

But I know it's frustrating for some in the industry to be dealing with personality disorders and substance abuse more than straight mental health issues.
All of these are obviously tightly intertwined, but I think there is an element of treating the symptoms to some degree.

It's a pretty complex area, though. One of the major issues we have is that no one is really sure what ideal service provision looks like for people with a variety of organic or inorganic mental health issues, and substance abuse can be both the result, or causative of such things.