• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terminology: kippah vs. yarmulke?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Just curious: I've seen that the Jews here on RF tend to use the term "kippah" quite a bit, but when I was growing up, the term I'd always hear was "yarmulke", never "kippah".

Is there a difference between the a kippah and a yarmulke? Is one term preferable to the other?

xkatz

Kippah is Hebrew. Yarmulke I believe is Yiddish. They are both the same thing, so the words are interchangeable.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Yeah, xkatz is right: kippah is Hebrew, yarmulke is Yiddish. Yarmulke tended to be used more in America during the first half of the 20th century, because the majority of Jews in the country at that time were Ashkenazim (from Germany or Eastern Europe), and many if not most spoke Yiddish, which was a thriving language then. But since WWII, the number of Yiddish speakers has dropped preciptiously, and at the same time, two important things happened: the less important of the two was that more Sefardim and Mizrachim immigrated to the US, and they came from cultures that didn't speak Yiddish; the more important was the founding of the State of Israel, whose national language is Hebrew. As Yiddish became spoken by fewer and fewer Jews, more and more Jews learned conversational Hebrew, and Hebrew really became the lingua franca of world Jewry in much more active way than it had been for some time.

So today, outside of a few Yiddish-speaking ultra-Orthodox communities, it is usually only older Jews, and relatively uneducated Jews who habitually use the word yarmulke instead of kippah, although there are always exceptions to those rules.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Thanks, guys.

I had noticed the change in terminology, and worried that I might be doing something wrong by using "yarmulke". That clears things up for me.

Dena

I am unable to say the word "yarmulke" for some reason so I always use "kippah" :D

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
I can't speak a word of Yiddish since I'm Sephardic, but try as I might, I can't remember if there's a Ladino word for kippah...