• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terminology in Jain Cosmology?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
hey, quick question...

Jain's view the universe in a sort of person shape, the Earth is the at the center, it's the belt around the waist, Heaven is above us, Hell is below us, and when one achieves Moksha they rise above Heaven to the top of the universe, free form pain, suffering, Karma, and they are motionless.

my question is, i doubt "Heaven" and "Hell" were the original words used to describe this cosmology, so what was used? are Heaven and Hell just western words and ideas that have been used to understand Eastern concepts?

thanks in advance to anyone who answers this! :)

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
my question is, i doubt "Heaven" and "Hell" were the original words used to describe this cosmology, so what was used? are Heaven and Hell just western words and ideas that have been used to understand Eastern concepts?

I'm certainly not a Jain, but according to the mighty and jealous goddess Wikipedia (may her citations always lack weasel wording!) the original terms are 'Urdhva Loka' and 'Adho Loka'.

As can be seen by following this link. :)

ht tp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jain_cosmology#Jain_geography

*sighs*

Okay, just pretend that its a link and we can all go home happy. :D

(Stupid 15-post rule... *kicks forum*)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
oooo, an Alchemist! if you're gonna be sticking around the forums, it would be interesting to chat with you!

thanks for the link, i hadn't actually thought of looking on Wiki, Goddess of all our education-in-a-cup needs.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, Mike, heaven for all people is located in the sky and hell below their feet. Where is christian hell located, do you know (anything in Bible?)?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Well, Mike, heaven for all people is located in the sky and hell below their feet. Where is christian hell located, do you know (anything in Bible?)?

i don't know because there are conflicting verses in the Bible about this, but the location of these other dimensions of living isn't really the question :shrug:

happygod13

As per Jainism planets with human and other species are many and earth is one of them. This Earth is known as Bharat Kshetra. Hell(Narak) planet is below the human planets. Jain text are known as Agams. Their Heaven's are above the human planets.