• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessee Pushing Legislation to Make Bible the State Book

TurkeyOnRye

So really your only problem is because it's the Bible, not because it's a religious book? Nice bigotry.

Please re-read my post. I don't like either book. Note "less undesirable." I thought I could joke, but I guess not. Even so, how would having a preference constitute bigotry?

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
Have you ever been to Tennessee (and not just the tourist areas)? Indiana is very much a pro-you go to church because its the good thing to do type of state, make sure you have everything right between you and God, pray before all sorts of activities and events...Tennessee is worse. I've been to several Southern states, and it's why I am so dead set against going any further South for my education and career. The Christian billboards start around here, begin to pick up around the south side of Indianapolis (marked by a Creation Museum billboard), and they increase in frequency the further south you get.
I myself have seen how "they take that crap seriously."
Yes I have been to Tennessee. The point was in reference to the evidence used to support a claim and the claim made. That said, if we travel back in time we can see southern states outright, publicly defying federal constitutional requirements of school desegregation. That would be an example of "they take that crap seriously" that the text of some antiquated law was never tossed out, when said law is both unenforceable and not enforced- does not support the claim.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes I have been to Tennessee. The point was in reference to the evidence used to support a claim and the claim made. That said, if we travel back in time we can see southern states outright, publicly defying federal constitutional requirements of school desegregation. That would be an example of "they take that crap seriously" that the text of some antiquated law was never tossed out, when said law is both unenforceable and not enforced- does not support the claim.
Unenforceable, but not forgotten, and not unused.
Critics of Cecil Bothwell cite N.C. bar to atheists | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com
ASHEVILLE — North Carolina's constitution is clear: politicians who deny the existence of God are barred from holding office.
Opponents of Cecil Bothwell are seizing on that law to argue he should not be seated as a City Council member today, even though federal courts have ruled religious tests for public office are unlawful under the U.S. Constitution.
“I'm not saying that Cecil Bothwell is not a good man, but if he's an atheist, he's not eligible to serve in public office, according to the state constitution,” said H.K. Edgerton, a former Asheville NAACP president.

Marisa

Have you ever been to Tennessee (and not just the tourist areas)? Indiana is very much a pro-you go to church because its the good thing to do type of state, make sure you have everything right between you and God, pray before all sorts of activities and events...Tennessee is worse. I've been to several Southern states, and it's why I am so dead set against going any further South for my education and career. The Christian billboards start around here, begin to pick up around the south side of Indianapolis (marked by a Creation Museum billboard), and they increase in frequency the further south you get.
I myself have seen how "they take that crap seriously."
I am from Texas originally. The cities are fairly liberal, but the rural areas are just as bad as here in Tennessee. *sigh*

Marisa

I love that you think here in the US, state Constitutional amendments like this need to be legally enforced to be a thang.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Unenforceable, but not forgotten, and not unused.
Critics of Cecil Bothwell cite N.C. bar to atheists | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com
ASHEVILLE — North Carolina's constitution is clear: politicians who deny the existence of God are barred from holding office.
Opponents of Cecil Bothwell are seizing on that law to argue he should not be seated as a City Council member today, even though federal courts have ruled religious tests for public office are unlawful under the U.S. Constitution.
“I'm not saying that Cecil Bothwell is not a good man, but if he's an atheist, he's not eligible to serve in public office, according to the state constitution,” said H.K. Edgerton, a former Asheville NAACP president.
Lol, well I guess people will come out of the woodwork when their man/woman doesn't win. However, I suspect that this construction is just a "throw everything at the wall type approach." More likely aimed at disparaging the man. People try anything, according to some Obama is still not a citizen. We can see that the opposition didn't truly believe such because we are not reading about a lawsuit. Instead, we are reading about inflammatory propaganda cycled about by a few, hardly the whole state or even representative of the state since the atheist won.

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Tennessee Attorney General: Bible can’t be official state book

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Reuters) – Tennessee’s attorney general said on Tuesday (April 14) that a bill under consideration in the legislature to make the Bible the official state book would be an unconstitutional endorsement that the sacred text does not need.

The bill would violate both the U.S. Constitution and Tennessee’s state constitution, Tennessee Attorney General Herbert Slatery III said
."
source
End of story

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
I don't understand the south. It's like the use religion just to oppress their citizens.

We've reached a crescendo of spiritual liberation and they want to go shoving religion down peoples throats.

People are just about done with Abrahamic faiths, thank God.

I loved Tennessee as well, I thought it was the world best kept secret until this.

Now I almost hate it worse than Florida and Georgia.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Although Tennessee doesn't have a state book, it does have a state fruit (the tomato), mineral (agate) and wild animal (raccoon).
I mean why?

Isn't a motto and coat of arms enough?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I mean why?

Isn't a motto and coat of arms enough?
Those other things are typically a part of the state geography and culture. Indiana's state river, the Wabash, has a bunch of songs and poems about it, and it played a strong part in the state's history. The state bird, the cardinal, are is beautiful and a majestic sight you're likely to see on just about any nature trail hike.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Those other things are typically a part of the state geography and culture. Indiana's state river, the Wabash, has a bunch of songs and poems about it, and it played a strong part in the state's history. The state bird, the cardinal, are is beautiful and a majestic sight you're likely to see on just about any nature trail hike.
Sure, but when it gets to the point of having state fruit and minerals, it seems the be getting rather stretched in my eyes. But that's just me.

And now you have the ridiculousness of a state book. :D

Last edited by a moderator: