• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

temptation in religions?

hello, I am fairly new to religion forums and searching for the answer to a unique problem -
I'm trying to find the concept of temptation into sin, the idea that God or a Djinn or something would test people, in primitive religions - and tracking down this 'concept' in literature is proving difficult. I've found that Aztecs had a sort of rudimentary concept in their God Tezcatlipoca, and in temptation to adultery, but elsewhere I copme up dry, even though many primitive religions do have an ethically concerned God like some Australian aborigines, Manus, Bushmen -
can anyone think of a similar concept in a primitive religion?

my real problem is that I am trying to see if abrahamic religions are truly, provably, the originators of a concept of temptation in their Jehovah and Satan, or if it can be found in a religion which is older than they in the same area, or at any date in an area definitly uncontacted by them, such as the New World.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
It is my belief that Abrahamic religions are the only ones that try to smother their followers with excessive rules. Many of the things that are prohibited in those religions are very acceptable in other, older religions. Without restriction, temptation cannot exist.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Temptation can be found in various mythologies. in the case of the Greek mythology, we can find the reccuring theme of temptation in the Odyssey. Odysseus' wife, Penelope is tempted to find a new partner after her beloved husband did not return. Odysseus is tempted to have the life of a god instead of resuming his long journey.
Like in Christian dogma, in the Greek story of Pandora, it is a woman who brings sin into the world, upon her temptation to open the 'box', Pandora unleashes all evils and illness unto the world.

Last edited:

Walkntune

It is my belief that Abrahamic religions are the only ones that try to smother their followers with excessive rules. Many of the things that are prohibited in those religions are very acceptable in other, older religions. Without restriction, temptation cannot exist.

There are many support groups out there from people stuck in addictions that are not Christian based. I wonder why such groups exist?

Luminakisharblaze

Doyamo Luminachi
It all depends on which definition of temptation you are referring to.

1. The act of testing; trial--Yes, this kind of temptation is always individual depending on the one being tested and what their Divine purpose is.

2. an enticement--this kind is all dependent on the state of mind of the person. If they walk a path of truth and morals based on their own relationship with Divinity and the only reason they walk the path is because they know and understand Divinity and to slight the Divine would be like slighting your best friend, then temptation does not exist. If they live by archaic rules and the stigma of "You're gonna get it if God sees you." then almost everything and every thought can be construed as a temptation.

It is all a matter of perspective.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
There are many support groups out there from people stuck in addictions that are not Christian based. I wonder why such groups exist?
Not all things one can be addicted to are prohibited by all religions. Just because the ability to be addicted does exist does not mean that they exist as a test or temptation.

Walkntune

Not all things one can be addicted to are prohibited by all religions. Just because the ability to be addicted does exist does not mean that they exist as a test or temptation.
Love Jesus with all of your heart, mind and soul and love your neighbour as yourself and don't worry about the other rules. Love walks above the law, not by the law!

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Love Jesus with all of your heart, mind and soul and love your neighbour as yourself and don't worry about the other rules. Love walks above the law, not by the law!
Now if we replace the word "Jesus" with "Anubis" then that is something I could live by. :yes: Well except I have to live by rules too. Dang life is hard outside of Christianity.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Wendigo is a corruptive spirit as an example.

Often though, the concept of 'sin' in indigenous faiths is quite different from that of the big three book faiths.

wa:do

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
How though ? Is some sin considered bad and others good.
There is no list of "do this, don't do that" it's more fluid and based on intent.

What is wrong isn't stealing... it's harming others for your personal gain. Sneaking into a rivals camp and taking their horses was an act of courage and respected... taking their wife an act of guile and potentially wisdom... stealing someones food or medicine was vile and got you shunned or worse.

Killing wasn't bad in and of itself, but it lets loose a chain of reprisal killing and that is very bad because it hurts exponentially more people.

Absolute Zero

fon memories
Thanks but how is stealing not wrong? Would they or you for that matter not feel guilt by your lost items or did the first americans seperate themselves from such materilistic things ? So the first americans did not belive in monogamy?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Thanks but how is stealing not wrong? Would they or you for that matter not feel guilt by your lost items or did the first americans seperate themselves from such materilistic things ?
Ownership was a looser concept. Most things weren't "owned" but "kept" by someone. If it was something important and you were not capable or worthy of it, it was passed to someone who was.
Few possessions were for one person only... like medicine bags, spirit shirts and so on.

Also, when you live with what you can carry or what fits in a small hut... you tend to not get overly attached to mundane items. Especially when those items are prone to damage or breakage.

You also simply can't own many things... like land or water or other living things. (though in Colonial times some nations learned to keep slaves; to be "civilized")

So the first americans did not belive in monogamy?
Some did, some didn't. There were a lot of variations in mating systems.
Usually you were free to seek a living situation that made you happy... that is, marriage wasn't for life and a woman could leave a man by simply tossing his stuff out the door.
Not to mention widespread (but not universal) acceptance of LGBT individuals.

There were more than 300 unique cultures in North America alone... that's a lot of room for variation.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Do you consider ownership a losser concept ?
Depends on what is being owned. I don't think you should let objects own you.

I frequently go through all of my possessions and get rid of as many as possible. I'm aiming for reaching the 100 things challenge.