• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me where in the Bible does Jesus clearly say that he's God

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Give me one unequivocal statement where Jesus Christ unambiguously states his own divinity.

You won't find it. Not that there isn't suggestion of such, but nothing in the Bible is ever unequivocal, unambiguous, and clear. Nothing in life ever really is.

F0uad

Well there are several Christian groups that do not belief that Jesus(pbuh) is God or a part of God..

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
No, it's just that the Bible simply isn't clear, thus not being the word of God.

If you have read philosophy, it isn't always that clear either. Even a lot of fiction isn't that clear. There are always multiple ways of interpreting various works. That is why there are so many commentaries on works of all types.

And sure, the Bible isn't the literal word of God. That's fine. Doesn't remove any power it has. Doesn't remove the importance of the Bible. And many Christians have long accepted this.

F0uad

Who says it's the "word of God?" I simply say it's the collection of texts determined to be authentic in their inspiration.

By who? Some Church Fathers who came 300 years after Jesus(pbuh), disagreed with each other and destroying other text that opposed them.. Seems fair?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
By who? Some Church Fathers who came 300 years after Jesus(pbuh), disagreed with each other and destroying other text that opposed them.. Seems fair?

Not really. The majority of the Bible was accepted before Jesus came around. For the NT, the canon really hasn't closed. Sure, there is debate, but oh well. Doesn't take away from its importance.

Also, the Church fathers didn't come together and state which works were okay. The general population, who used these works, picked which books to use.

Animevox

Who says it's the "word of God?" I simply say it's the collection of texts determined to be authentic in their inspiration.

Whose inspiration exactly? Texts can't be authentic thru inspiration.

What if I said that I can fly when no one's looking? Would that make my statement authentic? Would it be true if I wrote it in a book and claimed that it was authentic thru the inspiration of watching Superman? Would you believe me? It's the same logic as yours after all.

F0uad

Not really. The majority of the Bible was accepted before Jesus came around. For the NT, the canon really hasn't closed. Sure, there is debate, but oh well. Doesn't take away from its importance.

Also, the Church fathers didn't come together and state which works were okay. The general population, who used these works, picked which books to use.
Well i was actually talking about the NT since the OT is not really that important according to many Christians nowadays.

Well i have to agree that some agreed on some scriptures but not everything for example there were allot of people who were reading the Gospel of Peter, Thomas and Mary there were also Church Fathers who agreed with the text yet they are not included.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Whose inspiration exactly? Texts can't be authentic thru inspiration.

What if I said that I can fly when no one's looking? Would that make my statement authentic? Would it be true if I wrote it in a book and claimed that it was authentic thru the inspiration of watching Superman? Would you believe me? It's the same logic as yours after all.
I didn't say they were authentic through inspiration. I said that they are the texts whose inspiration is determined to be authentic.

(BTW: Aren't the claims made by the Quran the same ones you list here?)

F0uad

I didn't say they were authentic through inspiration. I said that they are the texts whose inspiration is determined to be authentic.

(BTW: Aren't the claims made by the Quran the same ones you list here?)
Well the Christian idea is that several unknown writes got inspired while in Islam we just have one who we know.

loverOfTruth

If it is not 'word of God' - it is totally subjective as to whether the inspiration is 'authentic' or not - and I certainly wouldn't recommend betting your eternal salvation on 'fickle human subjectivity'.

loverOfTruth

John 14:9
"If you have seen me you have seen the Father."

That would be true for any Messenger/Prophet of God.

John 10:30
"I and the Father are one."

Too ambiguous?

John 10:29 "My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all"

'My Father' obviously doesn't mean 'Me'(Jesus) since he is not his Father ... so Father is greater than All including me(Jesus).

So which one is it - Father is Greater than All ? or equal to I ?

So 'yes' absolutely ambiguous.

Peace.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
That would be true for any Messenger/Prophet of God.

John 10:29 "My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all"

'My Father' obviously doesn't mean 'Me'(Jesus) since he is not his Father ... so Father is greater than All including me(Jesus).

So which one is it - Father is Greater than All ? or equal to I ?

So 'yes' absolutely ambiguous.

Peace.

Well then, how about John 8:58, "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am." Or the old standby John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." Of course there is Collossians 1:13-17, etc.
The idea of Trinity it seems to me is that the Father, Son, Spirit aren't the same individuals, but share the same Divine nature, all equally God. Just like you and I aren't the same people, but we are equally human.