• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me where in the Bible does Jesus clearly say that he's God

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The most confusing part I find about Divinity of Jesus or Christ being God is that the earliest gospel we have which is that of St. Mark makes no reference to divinity or Jesus' birth. In fact in Mark the most Jesus says outright is that he is a prophet. Later on in the gospel he makes references to being the Messiah but little else. Other gospels that came later included the birth and divinity of Christ which leads to me being very confused. Usually the earliest work is likely to be the best recording and it makes little reference to anything more divine about Christ other than being a Messiah. The other Gospels tend to change dramatically what St. Mark lays out and gives a much more divine and miracle driven Christ. Which is quite different from the Christ in St. Mark who is a healer, rabbi, prophet, and hints at being the Messiah.
Which is why, in discerning such an all-encompassing doctrine about the nature of Jesus, we have to look at as many facets as we can -- not just one. Mark clearly presents us with a Jesus that is very humanlike. John, OTOH, presents us with a Jesus that is very mythic. But they both "work," because one of the most basic tenets of Xy, found in the most ancient gospel source -- that of Q -- is the parable of the leaven. the thrust of the parable is that God becomes dirty for us (becomes human), because we cannot become clean (righteous) enough for God. And that's how God reconciles us -- by becoming one of us. How else can reconciliation be achieved?

Dingbat

Which is why, in discerning such an all-encompassing doctrine about the nature of Jesus, we have to look at as many facets as we can -- not just one. Mark clearly presents us with a Jesus that is very humanlike. John, OTOH, presents us with a Jesus that is very mythic. But they both "work," because one of the most basic tenets of Xy, found in the most ancient gospel source -- that of Q -- is the parable of the leaven. the thrust of the parable is that God becomes dirty for us (becomes human), because we cannot become clean (righteous) enough for God. And that's how God reconciles us -- by becoming one of us. How else can reconciliation be achieved?

An interesting perspective and not one I had taken into account to be quite honest. The Gospels always leave me a bit confused at times due some of the conflicting nature at times but that is the nature of the thing. I definitely enjoy the Gospel of Mark as it paints a very human picture that I can relate to. Though I do have a special place for St. Matthew and the Sermon on the Mount.

I am unsure if I even have a place within the Abrahamic traditions but I will admit they have given me a lot of food for thought whether it is the Torah, the Gospels, or the Qu'ran.