• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teaching kids about homosexuality?

What should kids be taught about homosexuality in schools?

• That homosexuality is not a choice.

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • That homosexuality is a choice.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • That homosexuality is a perversion.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • That homosexuality is not a perversion.

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • That homosexuality is moral.

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • That homosexuality is not moral.

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What should kids be taught about homosexuality when they are in school? (In the poll you can select more than one answer.)

Does anyone believe that schools should not teach anything about homosexuality? If so, why not?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think kids should be taught to be tolerant of homosexuals. That its thier life, and they can live it the way they want to.
I feel that telling someone they can't be gay is like telling someone who is strait they can't love a certain individual because of some believe, physical trait, etc.

Runt

I think kids should learn what homosexuality is in a sex ed class, and I think they should be made aware of some of the issues that have arisen regarding homosexuality (marriage, adoption, etc). I think it is important that students be aware of both sides of the arguments surrounding homosexuality, rather than having one viewpoint pushed on them.

Pah

Uber all member
Homosexuality is as moral as love is moral. Few of us make choices about who we love and the same is true of homosexuals.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Why teach anything about homosexuality? I was listening to a radio talk show host today who argued that nothing at all should be taught about homosexuality. (He also thought nothing should be taught about sex.) How would you respond to this?

Draka

Wonder Woman
Seems I'm in the majority here with all my answers. I would hope that this would not even have to be taught in schools but unfortunately all parents do not hold the same veiws on even TEACHING their kids about sex...let alone homosexuality. Herein you also get the problem of finding teachers willing to say this stuff. You'd have to be sure that the teacher themself had no underlying biases or prejudices in regards to this subject.

Pah

Uber all member
Sunstone said:
Why teach anything about homosexuality? I was listening to a radio talk show host today who argued that nothing at all should be taught about homosexuality. (He also thought nothing should be taught about sex.) How would you respond to this?
With rotten fruit, if he was on a stage.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Crap! I accidently clicked 'homosexuality is a choice'... >_<

And I believe that it should be taught that homosexuality is more common than people think, and that they don't just up and choose to sleep with the same sex.

Exis

School is for education... not for moral dictation... not for sexual choice awareness... and not for use of homosexual debate or opinion... I think that anything factual about homosexuallity should be tought along with any other related subject (sux as sex ed), but no opinion should be stressed in any direction concerning the matter. By these standards, all biological and health facts of homosexuallity would be up front and clear and students would be free to make their own opinions and choices.

Cr0wley

More Human Than Human
I learned about homosexuality from TV. There's nothing stopping kids from doing the same, they might know more than you think...

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
"School is for education... not for moral dictation..."

Kind of like abstinence only education?

"and not for use of homosexual debate or opinion"

By this, do you mean the teacher's opinion of homosexuals, or a homosexual student/teacher?

i believe that it should be treated matter of factly, as if it isnt even an issue, it just is. in the entire time I was in school, I don't think i once heard a thing about homosexuality in sex ed. it might have helped me a little bit if I had though.

M

Majikthise

Sex education should be about the biological factors of human sexuallity.Religion is certainly a topic in historical teaching but you can carry the topic too far.

Because, sadly, most parents drop the ball on this, and there needs to be a back up. Sexuality ed is more important that physics or history, but we don't trust the parents to educate on that do we?

Crystallas

So then the question should be "How should homosexuality be aknowledged in sex ed"

and hey now! Sex isnt more important than Physics... how the hell would you do it w/o Physics :)

M

Majikthise

I'm not sticking up for ball droppers, but being a parent, and I mean really being one, can test you beyond the limits of what even you thought you were capable of.

M

Majikthise

Crystallas said:
So then the question should be "How should homosexuality be aknowledged in sex ed"

and hey now! Sex isnt more important than Physics... how the hell would you do it w/o Physics :)
You must spread karma....

Your frubals are on my "to do" list!:D