• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tea Out For The Brits?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
We're losing our love for tea here on the island,

Unilever offloads black tea business as UK passion for cuppa goes cold

As a Victorian, I approve.

Tea was not considered quintessentially British until the 20th century, when it was pushed during the 1st and 2nd world wars as it was cheaper to produce and trade, owing to our Empire. Tea production had overtaken coffee by the mid 19th century pretty much because of plantations in our favourite colony - India. However,

"And Britons were really a nation of coffee lovers, not tea drinkers as popular myth has led us to believe. In 1840, Britain imported 28 million lbs of tea, compared with 70 million lbs of coffee."

Victorian Britain: a nation of coffee-lovers

And,

But tea was not always the most popular drink among all classes in Britain. In fact, coffee was the most popular drink for many working-class laborers in nineteenth-century Britain. A quick look at Henry Mayhew’s London Labour and the London Poor confirms that.

“It is less easy to describe the diet of costermongers than it is to describe that of many other of the labouring classes, for their diet, so to speak, is an “out-door diet.” They breakfast at a coffee-stall, and (if all their means have been expended in purchasing their stock, and none of it be yet sold) they expend on the meal only 1d., reserved for the purpose. For this sum they can procure a small cup of coffee, and two “thin” (that is to say two thin slices of bread and butter).”

“At length nearly all the busy marketing has finished, and the costers hurry to breakfast. At one house, known as “Rodway’s Coffee-house,” a man can have a meal for 1d. — a mug of hot coffee and two slices of bread and butter, while for two-pence what is elegantly termed “a tightner,” that is to say, a most plentiful repast, may be obtained. Here was a large room, with tables all round, and so extremely silent, that the smack all of lips and sipping of coffee were alone heard.

[...]

While you might say, “aha! but they did sell tea, so weren’t most people drinking tea?” do consider Mayhew’s take on the subject:

“Coffee is the article mostly sold at the stalls; indeed, there is scarcely one stall in a hundred that is supplied with tea, and not more than a dozen in all London that furnish cocoa.”

Brewing a Victorian Cuppa… Coffee? | Langley Hyde

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Tea was not considered quintessentially British until the 20th century, when it was pushed during the 1st and 2nd world wars as it was cheaper to produce and trade, owing to our Empire. Tea production had overtaken coffee by the mid 19th century pretty much because of plantations in our favourite colony - India. However,

"And Britons were really a nation of coffee lovers, not tea drinkers as popular myth has led us to believe. In 1840, Britain imported 28 million lbs of tea, compared with 70 million lbs of coffee."

And,

But tea was not always the most popular drink among all classes in Britain. In fact, coffee was the most popular drink for many working-class laborers in nineteenth-century Britain. A quick look at Henry Mayhew’s London Labour and the London Poor confirms that.

“It is less easy to describe the diet of costermongers than it is to describe that of many other of the labouring classes, for their diet, so to speak, is an “out-door diet.” They breakfast at a coffee-stall, and (if all their means have been expended in purchasing their stock, and none of it be yet sold) they expend on the meal only 1d., reserved for the purpose. For this sum they can procure a small cup of coffee, and two “thin” (that is to say two thin slices of bread and butter).”

“At length nearly all the busy marketing has finished, and the costers hurry to breakfast. At one house, known as “Rodway’s Coffee-house,” a man can have a meal for 1d. — a mug of hot coffee and two slices of bread and butter, while for two-pence what is elegantly termed “a tightner,” that is to say, a most plentiful repast, may be obtained. Here was a large room, with tables all round, and so extremely silent, that the smack all of lips and sipping of coffee were alone heard.

[...]

While you might say, “aha! but they did sell tea, so weren’t most people drinking tea?” do consider Mayhew’s take on the subject:

“Coffee is the article mostly sold at the stalls; indeed, there is scarcely one stall in a hundred that is supplied with tea, and not more than a dozen in all London that furnish cocoa.”

You are chocolate lovers, too. I've tried some of your stuff, and it is choice. Your chocolate is creamier.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

And,

[...]

Allrightttt!

It's go time!

rocala

Tea Out For The Brits?
But maybe not for the Irish?
mrs-doyle.jpg

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
So Scots and Irish won't get independence if they start their own tea parties?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
The British Empire is crumbling because of talk like this. Strong black tea is the only way to restore its greatness.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The British Empire is crumbling because of talk like this. Strong black tea is the only way to restore its greatness.
Black tea surely is the best, but our Middle Eastern subjects are coffee drinkers and we ought to placate them.

RestlessSoul

Black tea surely is the best, but our Middle Eastern subjects are coffee drinkers and we ought to placate them.

Tea is popular in North Africa, don’t know about the Middle East though.

Getting hard to find a decent cuppa in London these days, I’ve noticed that for some time. Since all the greasy spoons got replaced with trendy coffee bars..,

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
"Coffee came to England in the mid-17th century.

According to Samuel Pepys, England's first coffee house was established in Oxford in 1650 at The Angel in the parish of St Peter in the east, by a Jewish gentleman named Jacob, in the building now known as The Grand Cafe."

:D

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I like both. Coffee if I am going for a strong caffeine kick, tea for something warm to drink in the cooler parts of the year.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
The Empire is doomed with an attitude like that! Chin up old chap.

Move over British Empire, eventually Bhārat Mātā with her masala chai will rule the waves. She already has Westerners using her terminology and drinking her drink albeit in their own ways.

PROC in response to me: ‘Am I a joke to you?’