• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TB Iriving/Al-Hajj Ta'lim Ali Abu Nasr's 'The Qur'an' translation question:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Hello My Friends,

I'm hoping you can lend me some thoughts and opinions on the Qur'an I have recently gotten for free via the 'Let the Qur'an Speak.com' which is a learning project set up by Shabir Ally here in Canada, and am not clear if this offer is valid outside of Canada.

I'm not looking to be 'told' what to think about it, but sometimes there are some unfavourable slants and leanings in some, so I've read, for this or that reason or instance.

The translation is by the above mentioned, TB Iriving/Al-Hajj Ta'lim Ali Abu Nasr and I'm curious how others feel about this translation, if it's 'accurate', more useful in language, etc etc....

In the introduction it doesn't speak against the Abudullah Yusef Ali or the N.J. Dawood exactly. ( As a side, those are THE two Qur'ans I own atm.

He says the first is 'too wordy' and the second 'useful, but paraphrased' and that this one is meant to be more accessible in language, format but recognizes that there is no 'best' translation, finally wishing his translation to be useful for at least a decade or so and God willing, an even better one will come along.

It's my hope to keep two of these translations and pass on the third to a friend or pass it along to someone in the Scriptural reasoning group I meet with.

So please could I have comments on the OP, but feel free to leave comments on the other two translations I mentioned as well.

Salaam,
SageTree

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullah_Yusuf_Ali

fatima_bintu_islam

Arab muslim here, so I have no idea about wich translation is best as I didnt study it , my apologies

(maybe ull be like : why are u here then? lol I just wanted to say that maybe a lot of us have the same background that why they didnt answer, but Inshallah ull get answers soon :) )

Bismillah

Submit
I don't put much aside for Usuf Ali. I very much like Mufti Usmani's translation as well as Maududis translation and tafsir. The former is even available online for free.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Arab muslim here, so I have no idea about wich translation is best as I didnt study it , my apologies

(maybe ull be like : why are u here then? lol I just wanted to say that maybe a lot of us have the same background that why they didnt answer, but Inshallah ull get answers soon :) )

Thank you my Friend.
Are you saying there are more arabic speaking/reading Muslims on here than Anglophones?
Or are you saying that Anlgophones Muslims often learn to read the Quran in Arabic?

I don't put much aside for Usuf Ali. I very much like Mufti Usmani's translation as well as Maududis translation and tafsir. The former is even available online for free.

What DONT you like about Yusef Ali's?
And what DO you like about the other 3 translations you mentioned?
ARE you familiar with the other two that I mentioned, particularly the title posits?

:namaste
Salaam,
SageTree

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I ordered the Qur'an in the OP post :p Who is the author again?

Perhaps the title will look familiar ;)

TB Iriving/Al-Hajj Ta'lim Ali Abu Nasr's 'The Qur'an' translation question:

Who, as I read it, changed his name to the later after the forward slash. :)

Thanks for taking interest, please let me know what you think :)

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Ooops I meant the translator hehehe

If it helps, when I answered I spoke as though the translator is what you meant, referring you to the thread title ... I totally skipped over the Author typo.....