• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax Exempt Status

Should Religions have their tax exempt status revoked?

• Total voters

Nimaj

Tax exemption is available to all non-profit organizations. If you cast out churches, mosques, and synagogs from them, you will be violating the government's church-state regulations. Religious institutions are constitutionally entitled to equal rights, compared to non-state run secular institutions.

(In the USA anyway)

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Nimaj said:
Tax exemption is available to all non-profit organizations...
Yup, and I think it should stay that way.

I didn't vote in the poll because I think religious organizations should keep their tax exempt status and that referring to it as a 'sacred cow' is condescending. As I posted on another thread, churches provide a great deal of service to their communities, certainly more than enough to warrant their status.

Popeyesays

CaptainXeroid said:
Yup, and I think it should stay that way.

I didn't vote in the poll because I think religious organizations should keep their tax exempt status and that referring to it as a 'sacred cow' is condescending. As I posted on another thread, churches provide a great deal of service to their communities, certainly more than enough to warrant their status.
The language of the poll responses was heavily loaded. I would not respond to such a poll.

Regards,
Scott

ch'ang

artist in training
As I posted on another thread, churches provide a great deal of service to their communities, certainly more than enough to warrant their status.
So do if we apply this to other institutions Exxon could get out of paying their taxes by planting trees and picking up trash. Just because they do things that help out the community does not mean that they should not have to pay taxes

standing_alone

I say "maybe." If religious organizations can get money from the government through faith-based initiatives, then maybe they can give money to the government as taxes as well. I don't know. It's something that I'd need to think over.

Smoke

Done here.
Nimaj said:
Tax exemption is available to all non-profit organizations.
And I don't think it should be, unless they can show that a substantial portion of their income goes to benefit the community -- in general, not just members of the organization.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The rule in the UK is that it must be a charitable organization to get the tax benefit, and be registered with the charity commissioners.
These can and do inspect your organization and check your annual books.
If they find you are operating in anyway as a business, Out you go, and pay back taxes.
Churches can raise funds by operating charity shops, but that money must all go to charity.
You can't just start a religion and claim Tax free status, you have to prove you are a real charity.

Terry___________________
Blessed are the pure of heart, they shall behold their God.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
A resounding "Yes" from me.:bounce

The Church of England is one of the biggest landowners. I do not believe they pay any form of Tax (including local council taxes). There is no reason why they shouldn't IMO. Perhaps a nominal reduced sum, but they should pay something; it is up to parishioners to share the costs.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Something I feel needs to be done. You got these multi million dollar churches were some of the leaders are bringing in 6 figures or more, all tax exempt. I think it needs to be restructured. Some smaller churches would have to pay tax instead of giving to the needy. Have a cut off. A church brings in x amount of money, anything over a certain amount gets taxed.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Let me add this. Look at all the so called 'fake faith healers' on tv, hiding behind tax exempt status. Making millions and not paying a dime in taxes. The Government cannot say which religion is a real religion, but they could put more stipulations on what defines tax exempt, how much has to go back into the community.

Fluffy

A fool
They should be taxed according to the nature and source of their revenue. For example, donations should not be taxed at all.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
NO... big, mega churches could probably suck it up and be OK with losing their tax exempt status, but it would cripple smaller churches (like mine) and we'd might have to close.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Fluffy said:
They should be taxed according to the nature and source of their revenue. For example, donations should not be taxed at all.

My church subsists solely on donations.

I've very sadden by those who wish to tax my church out of existence. Frankly, we couldn't do all the social action projects and community projects if we had to give that money to the government instead of using it to help others. And if we can't do social action and community projects, then why even have a church?

Last night we organized a concert with all the proceeds going to benefit Equality Virginia. We a had budget of $0 to do this. All the money, food, drinks, decorations, equipment, etc., was from our own pockets and the generousity of others. Take away our tax-exempt status and we would have been taxed on the money we made last night - all of which was going to benefit our community. We couldn't do things like that if the government is taking a chunk of the proceeds - what would be the point?

ETA: Just one more thing. Taking away the tax-exempt status isn't going to hurt the big millionare-churches, they have plenty of money. It would very much hurt little churches like mine, who are just doing the best we can to pay the bills to keep the lights on and to help our communities.