• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tax Churches.

Greatest I am

Tax Churches.

Churches teach of God, School teach also. Schools are taxed, why not Churches and other entities who teach of God.
This question should not be thought of as an attack of any sort against any Church. I recognize their community standing and am happy to have them around.
I speak here of taxing only profits, like any other entity.
Should we tax Churches et.all.?

Regards
DL

Kcnorwood

I think every bussiness should pay thier share it keeps people honest. I believe they should want to.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think we should apply the same rules to religious organizations that are applied to all others:

- land-owning organizations should pay normal property taxes.
- profit-making enterprises should pay normal corporate taxes.
- non-profit but non-charitable organizations should be exempt from paying taxes, but contributions to them shouldn't be tax deductable.
- legitimate charities should be tax-exempt and contributions to them should be tax deductible, regardless of whether or not they're religiously based. However, religious charities should be subject to the same reporting standards and oversight as secular charities.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Neither Churches nor Schools in the UK are taxed if they hold charitable status.
Very few schools are run as businesses in the UK so equally few are taxed.

The only "church" in the Uk that is taxed is Scientology, which failed charitable status.

chlotilde

Madame Curie
I think we should apply the same rules to religious organizations that are applied to all others:

- land-owning organizations should pay normal property taxes.
- profit-making enterprises should pay normal corporate taxes.
- non-profit but non-charitable organizations should be exempt from paying taxes, but contributions to them shouldn't be tax deductable.
- legitimate charities should be tax-exempt and contributions to them should be tax deductible, regardless of whether or not they're religiously based. However, religious charities should be subject to the same reporting standards and oversight as secular charities.
Actually, I think this is how it works in the US.
And to Greatest I am-I didn't know schools were taxed (my teacher sis has a tax exempt card to buy school supplies). What kind of taxes are you talking about?

chlo

Trey of Diamonds

I have mixed emotions about this. Not that I think Churches shouldn't get taxed but what about charity non-profits? Go to a flat rate and remove all forms of exemptions and I would agree to tax churches and non-profits.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I have mixed emotions about this. Not that I think Churches shouldn't get taxed but what about charity non-profits? Go to a flat rate and remove all forms of exemptions and I would agree to tax churches and non-profits.
You want to tax charities? Any particular reason?

Foxie

Churches did pay tax after 1787, please see a book called
"Constitution of the 1700s and 1800s"
usually found at the library, you will find in that book that Churches did indeed pay taxes.

Now I am all for taxing the churches but by doing so we migght create a "state sponsered religion " the Church of England" comes to mind as a prime excample it is THE church of England and is a state sponsered religious group .. supported by taxes and does pay them

The Johnson Amendment
Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code sets forth a list of tax-exempt charitable organizations, including those established for religious purposes--in other words, churches, synagogues, mosques, and other houses of worship. Pursuant to a provision added in 1954 -- and known for its sponsor, then-Senator Lyndon Johnson, as the "Johnson Amendment"-- in order to keep its 501(c)(3) status, a charitable organization may "not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office."
What is at stake in being a 501(c)(3) organization? Tax deductions for one's contributors: Another provision of the Internal Revenue Code, Section 170, provides that, subject to some limits not relevant here, donations to 501(c)(3) organizations are tax-deductible for the contributor, but only if the recipient organization complies with the Johnson Amendment.
Thus, as no one seriously doubts, the law commands that pastors who want their churches to retain the deductibility of contributions may not formally endorse or oppose candidates for public office when acting in their official capacity. A minister may preach that abortion is sinful or that the death penalty is murder, but he may not preach that congregants should vote for Candidate So-and-So because she will outlaw abortion or abolish the death penalty, unless he is willing to forego the financial advantages that Sections 501(c)(3) and 170 confer.

Trey of Diamonds

You want to tax charities? Any particular reason?

Only if there is a flat tax and no exemptions for anyone. I could see that as being fair. But if corporations are allowed all the loop holes and exemptions that exist today then I can't support removing the church and non-profit exemptions.

logician

Churches should definitely be taxed, IMHO, particularly when they are competing in the marketplace. It's time the government quits giving them favored status.

Trey of Diamonds

Churches should definitely be taxed, IMHO, particularly when they are competing in the marketplace. It's time the government quits giving them favored status.

What about corporate exemptions and non-profits? Are you saying no exemptions for anyone or just churches?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Competing in the marketplace?
It's hardly fair to a person making a go of it with a banquet hall if the church down the street gets to rent out its subsidized-by-the-government parish centre for weddings and special events, is it?

Also, many religious organizations produce products for sale that either are or aren't taxed depending on the local laws. For instance, many monasteries will produce beer, wine, cheese or other goods. Some churches offer services as well; there are many church-affiliated schools that are in direct competition with for-profit private schools.

And some churches profit off the commercial activity of others; there are instances where churches own the land on which malls, offices or other businesses are built; the church is the landlord and gets paid rent by its tenants. The tax treatment of this sort of thing varies.

Elessar

I won't even discuss the non-taxation of religious organizations, which, on the whole, I am against, until we deal with the non-taxation of the wealthy and of large corporations.

To tax religious organizations while the wealthy and corporations continue to get loophole after loophole is a violation of conscience.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
So you all(those who want to tax churches) would be ok with Churches actively campaigning and specifically telling their members who and what to vote for?

You would be ok with, for instance, the Pope endorsing a candidate?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So you all(those who want to tax churches) would be ok with Churches actively campaigning and specifically telling their members who and what to vote for?

You would be ok with, for instance, the Pope endorsing a candidate?
I'm okay with the Church being treated as a business in all respects; this includes things like what you describe. They should even be able to make donations directly to candidates, subject to the same contribution limits and rules that apply to other businesses.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
It's hardly fair to a person making a go of it with a banquet hall if the church down the street gets to rent out its subsidized-by-the-government parish centre for weddings and special events, is it?

Also, many religious organizations produce products for sale that either are or aren't taxed depending on the local laws. For instance, many monasteries will produce beer, wine, cheese or other goods. Some churches offer services as well; there are many church-affiliated schools that are in direct competition with for-profit private schools.

And some churches profit off the commercial activity of others; there are instances where churches own the land on which malls, offices or other businesses are built; the church is the landlord and gets paid rent by its tenants. The tax treatment of this sort of thing varies.
The bolded part of your comment is what should be addressed. Not if Churches should, or should not be taxed.