• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tawheed (Divine unity)

maro

muslimah
What is the evidence for dividing Tawheed into three categories?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.
This division is taken from study and analysis. When the scholars analyzed the texts of the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), this became clear to them. Some of them added a fourth category, which is Tahweed al-Mutaaba’ah (oneness of following). All of that is derived from study and analysis.

Undoubtedly the one who ponders the meanings of the Qur’aan will find that it contains verses which enjoin devoting worship sincerely to Allaah alone. This is Tawheed al-Uloohiyyah (Oneness of the Divine Nature).

And he will find verses which indicate that Allaah is the Creator and the Provider, that He is in control of all things. This is Tawheed l-Ruboobiyyah (oneness of the Divine Lordship), which the mushrikoon affirmed, but that did not make them Muslims.

He will also find other verses which indicate that Allaah has the Most Beautiful Names and the Most Sublime Attributes, and that He has no equal or peer. This is SifTawheed al-Asma’ wa’l-aat (Oneness of the Divine Names and Attributes), which was denied by the innovators such as the Jahamiyyah, Mu’tazilah, anthropomorphists and those who followed in their footsteps.

There are verses which indicate that it is obligatory to follow the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and to reject whatever goes against his laws. This is Tawheed al- Mutaaba'ah(Oneness of Following). This categorization is known from study and analysis of the relevant aayahs and the Sunnah. For example, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“You (Alone) we worship, and You (Alone) we ask for help (for each and everything)”
[ al-Faatihah 1:5]
“O mankind! Worship your Lord (Allaah), Who created you and those who were before you so that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)”
[al-Baqarah 2:21]
“And your Ilaah (God) is One Ilaah (God — Allaah), Laa Ilaaha illa Huwa (there is none who has the right to be worshipped but He), the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful" [alBaqarah2:163]
“And I (Allaah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone).
I seek not any provision from them (i.e. provision for themselves or for My creatures) nor do I ask that they should feed Me (i.e. feed themselves or My creatures).
Verily, Allaah is the All-Provider, Owner of Power, the Most Strong”
[al-Dhaariyaat 51:56-58]
“Indeed, your Lord is Allaah, Who created the heavens and the earth in Six Days, and then He rose over (Istawa) the Throne (really in a manner that suits His Majesty). He brings the night as a cover over the day, seeking it rapidly, and (He created) the sun, the moon, the stars subjected to His Command. Surely, His is the creation and commandment. Blessed is Allaah, the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)!”
[al-A’raaf 7:54]
“There is nothing like Him, and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer”
[al-Shoora 42:11]

“Say (O Muhammad): “He is Allaah, (the) One.
Allaah-us-Samad [Allaah — the Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, (He neither eats nor drinks)].
He begets not, nor was He begotten.
And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him”
[al-Ikhlaas 112:1-4]
“Say (O Muhammad to mankind): If you (really) love Allaah, then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic Monotheism, follow the Qur’aan and the Sunnah), Allaah will love you and forgive you your sins”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:31]
“Say: “Obey Allaah and obey the Messenger, but if you turn away, he (Messenger Muhammad) is only responsible for the duty placed on him (i.e. to convey Allaah’s Message) and you for that placed on you. If you obey him, you shall be on the right guidance. The Messenger’s duty is only to convey (the message) in a clear way (i.e. to preach in a plain way)”
[al-Noor 24:54]
And there are many aayahs which point towards this categorization.
In the ahaadeeth:
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, according to the hadeeth of Mu’aadh whose authenticity is agreed upon (al-Bukhaari, 2856; Muslim, 30):
“It is the right of Allaah upon His slaves that they should worship Him and not associate anything with Him.”
And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever dies invoking anything other than Allaah as a rival to Allaah will enter Hell.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4497; Muslim, 92).
And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to Jibreel (peace be upon him), when he asked him about Islam: “It means to worship Allaah and not associate anything with Him, to pray the prescribed prayers, to pay the obligatory zakaah…” (Agreed upon; al-Bukhaari, 50; Muslim, 9).
And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever obeys me obeys Allaah, and whoever disobeys me disobeys Allaah.” (Agreed upon; al-Bukhaari, 2957; Muslim, 1835).
And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “All of my ummah will enter Paradise except those who refuse.” It was said, “O Messenger of Allaah, who are those who refuse?” He said, “Whoever obeys me will enter Paradise and whoever disobeys me has refused.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari in his saheeh 7280).
And there are many similar ahaadeeth.
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “God is the One Who is worshipped and obeyed. God is the One Who is loved, and the One Who is loved is the One Who deserves to be worshipped. The reason why He deserves to be worshipped is because of His Attributes which imply that He is the Most Beloved to Whom the utmost submission is due.”
And he said: “God is the One Who is loved and worshipped, Whom hearts love, to Whom they submit, before Whom they humble themselves, Whom they fear and hope, to Whom they turn at times of difficulty, calling upon Him with regard to their concerns, putting their trust in Him with regard to their interests, seeking refuge in Him, finding tranquility in the remembrance of Him and peace of mind in love for Him. That is only for Allaah, therefore the phrase Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (there is no god except Allaah) is the most truthful of speech. Those who believe this are the people of Allaah and His party, and those who deny it are His enemies who are subject to His wrath and vengeance. If a person gets this right his entire situation will be good, and if he fails to achieve this then his knowledge and actions will inevitably be corrupt.”
We ask Allaah to help all the Muslims, rulers and ruled alike, to understand His religion, to adhere steadfastly to it, to be sincere towards Allaah and His slaves and to beware of that which Allaah has forbidden, for He is Able to do that. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and all his family and companions .

maro

muslimah
What does it mean to bear witness to Tawheed?

Answer:​

What it means to bear witness that there is no god except Allaah is to deny that anyone other than Allaah has the right to be worshipped, and to affirm that this is the right of Allaah alone, with no partner or associate. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“That is because Allaah He is the Truth (the only True God of all that exists, Who has no partners or rivals with Him), and what they (the polytheists) invoke besides Him, it is Baatil (falsehood). And verily, Allaah He is the Most High, the Most Great”[al-Hajj 22:62]
So the words laa ilaaha (there is no god) deny all things that are worshipped instead of Allaah, and the words illa Allaah (except Allaah) affirm that all kinds of worship are for Allaah alone. So what they mean is that there is none that is rightfully worshipped except Allaah.
Just as Allaah has no partner in His dominion, so too He has no partner in His worship.
What it means to bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah is tobelieve firmly, from the depths of one's heart, and express it on one's lips, that Muhammad is His slave and His Messenger to all of creation, mankind and the jinn alike. That means believing what he has told us about events in the past, what he has told us about things that are yet to come, what he has permitted of halaal things, what he has forbidden of haraam things; and it means obeying and following what he has commanded, and giving up and avoiding what he has forbidden, following his laws, adhering to his Sunnah in secret and in the open, accepting and submitting to his judgements, and knowing that obedience to him is obedience to Allaah, and disobedience to him is disobedience to Allaah, because he is the one who conveyed the Message from Allaah, and Allaah did not cause him to die until He had perfected the religion, and he conveyed it clearly. May Allaah reward him on behalf of us with the best reward that was ever given to any Prophet on behalf of his people and any Messenger on behalf of his nation.

A person can only enter Islam by uttering this twin testimony of faith; its two parts are intertwined and cannot be separated. For the conditions of testifying that there is no god but Allaah are the same as the conditions of testifying that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah.

maro

muslimah
Who is the lord of the worlds ?
Allaah alone is the Lord, the Creator, the Provider… the Sovereign, the Controller… the All-Knowing, All-Wise… the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of all that exists… The All-Hearing, All-Seeing… The Subtle and Courteous, the All-Aware… the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful… the Ever-Forbearing, Oft-Forgiving… the Almighty, the Compeller… the Oft-Pardoning, the Most Generous… the Most Strong, the All-Powerful… the Inventor of all things, the Bestower of forms…
To Him belongs the Sovereignty of the heavens and the earth, in His hand is goodness and He is able to do all things.
There is none worthy of worship but He, and to Him belong the most beautiful names and sublime attributes:

**“Allaah! Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He)! To Him belong the Best Names”
[Ta-Ha 20:8 – interpretation of the meaning]

**“And your Lord creates whatsoever He wills and chooses”
[al-Qasas 28:68 – interpretation of the meaning]

**“Say (O Muhammad): ‘O Allaah! Possessor of the kingdom, You give the kingdom to whom You will, and You take the kingdom from whom You will, and You endue with honour whom You will, and You humiliate whom You will. In Your Hand is the good. Verily, You are Able to do all things’”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:26 – interpretation of the meaning]
**“It is Allaah that gives life and causes death. And Allaah is All-Seer of what you do”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:156 – interpretation of the meaning]

**“Surely, His is the creation and commandment. Blessed is Allaah, the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)!”
[al-A’raaf 5:54 – interpretation of the meaning]

**“He is the First (nothing is before Him) and the Last (nothing is after Him), the Most High (nothing is above Him) and the Most Near (nothing is nearer than Him). And He is the All-Knower of every thing”
[al-Hadeed 57:3 – interpretation of the meaning]
“** "Such is Allaah, your Lord! Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Creator of all things. So worship Him (Alone), and He is the Wakeel (Trustee, Disposer of affairs or Guardian) over all things
[al-An’aam 6:102 – interpretation of the meaning]

**He is Subtle, Most Great, All-Encompassing:
“Allaah is Ever All Aware”
[al-Nisaa’ 4:126 – interpretation of the meaning]

“Allaah! Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayy al-Qayyoom (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists). Neither slumber nor sleep overtakes Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter. And they will never compass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Kursiy extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great”
[al-Baqarah 2:255 – interpretation of the meaning]

**“and all things We have recorded with numbers (as a record) in a Clear Book”
[Yaa-Seen 36:12 – interpretation of the meaning]

He is Most Generous and Bountiful… all provision comes from Him:
“And no moving (living) creature is there on earth but its provision is due from Allaah”
[interpretation of the meaning Hood , 11 : 6]

His blessings cannot be counted or numbered:
“And He gave you of all that you asked for, and if you count the Blessings of Allaah, never will you be able to count them”
[Ibraaheem 14:34 – interpretation of the meaning]

His stores fill the earth and the heavens:
“And to Allaah belong the treasures of the heavens and the earth”
[al-Munaafiqeen 63:7 – interpretation of the meaning]

He is Free of all needs and Worthy of all praise; He gives to His slaves but that never diminishes His stores:
“O mankind! it is you who stand in need of Allaah. But Allaah is Rich (Free of all needs), Worthy of all praise”
[Faatir 35: 15 ]
He is Oft-Pardoning and Oft-Forgiving; He bestows mercy upon His slaves and overlooks their sins:
“Verily, Allaah indeed is Oft Pardoning, Oft Forgiving”
[al-Hajj 22:60 – interpretation of the meaning]
He is the Knower of the unseen and the seen… He is Almighty in His sovereignty, Wise in His commands:
“All-Knower of the unseen and seen, the All Mighty, the All-Wise”
[al-Taghaabun 64:18 – interpretation of the meaning]

He knows what is secret and what is open; nothing is hidden from Him:
“And He is Allaah (to be worshipped Alone) in the heavens and on the earth; He knows what you conceal and what you reveal, and He knows what you earn (good or bad)
[al-An’aam 6:3 – interpretation of the meaning]

He is Subtle and Courteous, All-Aware:
“No vision can grasp Him, but He grasps all vision. He is Al-Lateef (the Most Subtle and Courteous), Well-Acquainted with all things”
[al-An’aam 6:103 – interpretation of the meaning]

He is One in His essence, attributes and actions:
“Say (O Muhammad): ‘He is Allaah, (the) One.
Allaah-us-Samad [Allaah — the Self-Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, (He neither eats nor drinks)].

He begets not, nor was He begotten.
And there is none co equal or comparable unto Him”
[al-Ikhlaas 112:1-4 – interpretation of the meaning]

Glory be to Him; His are the most beautiful names and sublime attributes, and He has no partner or associate:
“Such is Allaah your Lord. His is the kingdom. Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He). How then are you turned away?”
[al-Zumar 39:6 – interpretation of the meaning]

** “Surely, your Lord is Allaah Who created the heavens and the earth in six Days and then rose over (Istawa) the Throne (really in a manner that suits His Majesty), disposing the affair of all things. No intercessor (can plead with Him) except after His Leave. That is Allaah, your Lord; so worship Him (Alone). Then, will you not remember?”
[Yoonus 10:3 – interpretation of the meaning]

He created (everything) then proportioned it, He ordained laws then granted guidance, He granted provision and made people independent of means:
“Allaah, it is He Who has made for you the earth as a dwelling place and the sky as a canopy, and has given you shape and made your shapes good (looking) and has provided you with good things. That is Allaah, your Lord, so Blessed be Allaah, the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists”
[Ghaafir 40:64 – interpretation of the meaning]

O Allaah, to You be praise for Your great sovereignty:
“All the praises and thanks be to Allaah, to Whom belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth
[Saba’ ]

O Allaah, to You be praise for Your mighty creation:
“All praises and thanks be to Allaah, Who (Alone) created the heavens and the earth
[al-An’aam 6:1 – interpretation of the meaning]

O Allaah, to You be praise, for You have guided us to Islam, You have sent down to us the Qur’aan, You have honoured us with great blessings. There is no god but You, to You belongs the Sovereignty, Yours is the Creation and the Commandment, all blessings and praise are Yours…
“All the praises and thanks be to Allaah, the Lordof the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists).
The Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
The Only Owner (and the Only Ruling Judge) of the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)
You (Alone) we worship, and You (Alone) we ask for help (for each and everything).
[al-Faatihah 1:2-5 – interpretation of the meaning]

maro

muslimah
Discussion with a Christian: The Oneness of God is the message of Jesus and all the Prophets, peace be upon them

Question:
Why do you shun the truth and say that Jesus is only a Messenger instead of regarding him as the son of God? Jesus is the only son of the Lord and that is the truth!!.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to communicate and discuss the truth which we all need to know and follow, no matter what our previous differences of opinion and beliefs. It is only by means of this, I mean by knowing the truth and following it, that we can free ourselves of our sins, as it says in your Bible:
“Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free”
John 8:31 – New International Version (NIV)
So let us pause for a while and think about this truth, as it is stated in your Bible despite all the distortions and changes that have happened to it!
The message that was brought by the Messiah (peace be upon him) was the call to worship God, the One, the Lord of the Messiah and the Lord of the worlds:
“Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent”
John 17:3 – NIV
“A certain ruler asked him: ‘Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?’
‘Why do you call me good?’ Jesus answered. ‘No one is good – except God alone.’”
Luke 18:18-19 – NIV
“The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world.
And he said to him, ‘I will give you all their authority and splendour, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to.
So if you worship me, it will all be yours.’
Jesus answered, ‘It is written: “Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.”’”
Luke 4:5-8 – NIV
Believing in and worshipping Allaah alone, besides Whom there is no other god, is the greatest teaching brought by the Messiah, and it is the greatest teaching brought by all the Prophets.
“One of the teachers of the law came and noticed them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, ‘Of all the commandments, which is the most important?’
‘The most important one,’ answered Jesus, ‘is this: “Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.”
The second is this: “Love your neighbour as yourself.” There is no commandment greater than these.’
‘Well said, teacher,’ the man replied. ‘You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him.
To love him with all your heart, with you all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbour as yourself is more important that all burnt offerings and sacrifices.’
When Jesus saw that he has answered wisely, he said to him, ‘You are not far from the kingdom of God.’ And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.”
Mark 12:28-34 – NIV
But do not think that this advice was given to Israel or to his own people only. Rather this is the basis of the teachings of all the Prophets. The same advice appears in the Gospel of Matthew, in similar wording, after which he says:
“All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Matthew 22:39 – NIV
This belief in the oneness of God is indeed the message of all of the Prophets. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And We did not send any Messenger before you (O Muhammad) but We revealed to him (saying): Laa ilaaha illa Ana [none has the right to be worshipped but I (Allaah)], so worship Me (Alone and none else)”
[al-Anbiya’ 21:25]
This is the basic message to which the Messiah called people and warned them against differing from that. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Surely, they have disbelieved who say: ‘Allaah is the Messiah [‘Eesa (Jesus)], son of Maryam (Mary).’ But the Messiah [‘Eesa (Jesus)] said: ‘O Children of Israel! Worship Allaah, my Lord and your Lord.’ Verily, whosoever sets up partners (in worship) with Allaah, then Allaah has forbidden Paradise to him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the Zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers) there are no helpers”
[al-Maa'idah 5:72]
This is the basic principle on which we should all agree. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say (O Muhammad): ‘O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians): Come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but Allaah (Alone), and that we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides Allaah.’ Then, if they turn away, say: ‘Bear witness that we are Muslims’”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:64]
It is alien to true Christianity, this futile attempt to reconcile the belief in the Oneness of God, which is the message brought by the Prophets, and which is clearly stated in their Bible, and affirmed in the Torah in particular, with their belief in the trinity.
It says in the American Encyclopedia:
The belief in the Oneness of God – as a theological movement – began at a very early stage in history, and in fact it preceded the belief in trinity by many decades. Christianity developed from Judaism, and Judaism firmly believes that there is one God.
The path that led from Jerusalem (the home of the first disciples of Christ) to Nicea (where it was decided in 325 CE that Christ was equal to God in essence and eternal nature) can hardly be described as a straight path.
The doctrine of trinity which was affirmed in the fourth century CE bears no resemblance to the original teachings of Christ concerning the nature of God. Au contraire, it is the opposite, a deviation from that teaching. Hence it developed in opposition to the belief in One God… (27/294).
You can refer to the views of some of those Christians who still believe in the Oneness of God in the same American Encyclopedia, 27/300-301

It is difficult to comprehend, so no wonder you were never able to comprehend it. But what is strange is that you believe in something that it is impossible to understand, unless we deceive ourselves and say that this understanding will come on the Last Day:
“We understand that as much as our minds are able to, and we hope that we will understand it more clearly in the future, when the veil is removed from all things in heaven and on earth. But for now, the extent to which we do understand it is enough!”
Yes, the truth will become perfectly clear to you in the future, as it is clear to us today, praise be to Allaah, on the Day on which Allaah will gather the Messengers and make them bear witness concerning their nations. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And (remember) when Allaah will say (on the Day of Resurrection): ‘O ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary)! Did you say unto men: Worship me and my mother as two gods besides Allaah?’ He will say: ‘Glory be to You! It was not for me to say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, You would surely have known it. You know what is in my inner‑self though I do not know what is in Yours; truly, You, only You, are the All‑Knower of all that is hidden (and unseen).
117. ‘Never did I say to them aught except what You (Allaah) did command me to say: Worship Allaah, my Lord and your Lord. And I was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them, but when You took me up, You were the Watcher over them; and You are a Witness to all things. (This is a great admonition and warning to the Christians of the whole world).
118. ‘If You punish them, they are Your slaves, and if You forgive them, verily, You, only You, are the All‑Mighty, the All‑Wise.’
119. Allaah will say: This is a Day on which the truthful will profit from their truth: theirs are Gardens under which rivers flow (in Paradise) — they shall abide therein forever. Allaah is pleased with them and they with Him. That is the great success (Paradise).
120. To Allaah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth and all that is therein, and He is Able to do all things”
[al-Maa’idah 5:116-120].

maro

muslimah
Conditions of Laa ilaaha illa-Allaah ( There is no God but ALLah )

1)knowledge, in the sense of negating what is negated in the Shahaadah and affirming what is affirmed therein

Allaah says :
“So know (O Muhammad) that Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (none has the right to be worshipped but Allaah)…” [Muhammad 47:19]

“except for those who bear witness to the truth knowingly” – i.e., that there is no god except Allaah (laa ilaaha ill-Allaah) – “and they know” – in their hearts the meaning of the words that they utter with their lips. [al-Zukhruf 43:86]

2)certainty, in the sense that the one who says these words is absolutely certain of their meaning with no element of speculation, let alone doubt. Allaah says :

“Only those are the believers who have believed in Allaah and His Messenger, and afterward doubt not but strive with their wealth and their lives for the Cause of Allaah. Those! They are the truthful” [al-Hujuraat 49:15]

In al-Saheeh it is narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said: ‘Bear witness that there is no god except Allaah and that I am the Messenger of Allaah, for no person meets Allaah with these two, not doubting in them, but he will enter Paradise.’”

*Thus we see that a person’s entering Paradise for saying these words is conditional upon his believing in them with certainty in his heart, with no element of doubt.

3)acceptance and submission to what these words imply, both in one's heart as well as verbally. Allaah has told us the stories of those who came before, who were saved by their acceptance of these words from the punishment of those who had rejected them. Allaah says :

“(It will be said to the angels): ‘Assemble those who did wrong, together with their companions (from the devils) and what they used to worship,
Instead of Allaah, and lead them on to the way of flaming Fire (Hell);
But stop them, verily, they are to be questioned.

What is the matter with you? Why do you not help one another (as you used to do in the world)?’

Nay, but that Day they shall surrender.

And they will turn to one another and question one another.

They will say: ‘It was you who used to come to us from the right side (i.e., from the right side of one of us and beautify for us every evil, enjoin on us polytheism, and stop us from the truth, i.e. Islamic Monotheism and from every good deed).’

They will reply: ‘Nay, you yourselves were not believers.

And we had no authority over you. Nay! But you were Taaghoon (transgressing) people (polytheists, and disbelievers).

So now the Word of our Lord has been justified against us, that we shall certainly (have to) taste (the torment).

So we led you astray because we were ourselves astray.’

Then verily, that Day, they will (all) share in the torment.

Certainly, that is how We deal with Al‑Mujrimoon (polytheists, sinners, disbelievers, criminals, the disobedient to Allaah).

Truly, when it was said to them: Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (none has the right “to be worshipped but Allaah),” they puffed themselves up with pride (i.e. denied it).

And (they) said: ‘Are we going to abandon our aalihah (gods) for the sake of a mad poet?’” [al-Saffaat 37:22-36]

*So Allaah has made the reason and cause of their punishment their arrogant refusal to say Laa ilaah ill-Allaah, and their disbelief in the one who brought this message

* Allaah showed them to be liars and threw their words back at them through the words of His Messenger (peace be upon him). He said :

“Nay! he (Muhammad) has come with the truth (i.e. Allaah’s religion — Islamic Monotheism and this Qur’aan) and he confirms the Messengers (before him who brought Allaah’s religion — Islamic Monotheism)” [al-Saffaat 37:37]

Then He said concerning those who accept it :

“Save the chosen slaves of Allaah (i.e. the true believers of Islamic Monotheism).
For them there will be a known provision (in Paradise),
Fruits; and they shall be honoured,
In the Gardens of Delight (Paradise)” [al-Saffaat 37:40-43]

In al-Saheeh it is narrated from Abu Moosa that the Prophet (peacebe upon him) said: “The guidance and knowledge with which Allaah has sent me is like abundant rain which falls on the land. Some of the land absorbs the water and brings forth much grass and vegetation. And some of (the rain) falls on another part of the land which is like a smooth plain and does not hold the water, so no vegetation grows. That is the likeness of the one who understands the religion of Allaah and benefits from that with which Allaah has sent me, so he learns and acts, and the likeness of the one who pays no heed and does not accept the guidance of Allaah with which I have been sent.

4)following that which is indicated, as opposed to not following it. Allaah says :

"And whosoever submits his face (himself) to Allaah, while he is a Muhsin (good‑doer, i.e. performs good deeds totally for Allaah’s sake), then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold” – i.e., Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah – “And to Allaah return all matters for decision” [Luqmaan 31:22]

What is meant by :submiting his face , is following

"And whoever disbelieves, let not his disbelief grieve you (O Muhammad). To Us is their return, and We shall inform them what they have done…” [Luqmaan 31:23]

According to a saheeh hadeeth, the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said: “none of you truly believes until his desire is in accordance with that which I have brought.”

5)truthfulness, as opposed to lying. This means that one says it (Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah) sincerely from the heart, Allaah says :

"“Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: ‘We believe,’ and will not be tested.

And We indeed tested those who were before them. And Allaah will certainly make (it) known (the truth of) those who are true, and will certainly make (it) known (the falsehood of) those who are liars, (although Allaah knows all that before putting them to test)” [al-‘Ankaboot 29:2-3]

And He said concerning the hypocrites who spoke these words falsely :
“And of mankind, there are some (hypocrites) who say: ‘We believe in Allaah and the Last Day,’ while in fact they believe not.

They (think to) deceive Allaah and those who believe, while they only deceive themselves, and perceive (it) not!

In their hearts is a disease (of doubt and hypocrisy) and Allaah has increased their disease. A painful torment is theirs because they used to tell lies” [al-Baqara:8-10]

6)sincerity, which means that actions are free from any element of shirk. Allaah says :

“Surely, the religion (i.e. the worship and the obedience) is for Allaah only [al-Zumar 39:3]

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘Allaah Alone I worship by doing religious deeds sincerely for His sake only’”[al-Zumar 39:14]

In al-Saheeh it is narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The most deserving of my intercession are those who say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah sincerely from the heart or from the soul.”

7)love for this word and for what it implies and indicates, and love for the people who act upon it and adhere to its conditions and hate whoever or whatever goes against it. Allaah says :

“And of mankind are some who take (for worship) others besides Allaah as rivals (to Allaah). They love them as they love Allaah” [al-Baqarah 2:165]

In al-Saheehayn it is narrated from Anas that the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said: “No one of you truly believes until I am more beloved to him that his son, his father and all of mankind.”

maro

muslimah
The Oneness of Allaah

Question:
Is it possible to give the mushrikoon (polytheists, those who associate others with Allaah) proof of the oneness of Allaah?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.
The entire universe, in the way it is created and the way it is controlled, bears witness to the oneness of Allaah:
“Surely, His is the creation and commandment. Blessed is Allaah, the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)!
[al-A’raaf 7:54 ]
The creation of the heavens and the earth, the alternation of night and day, the different kinds of inanimate objects, plants and fruits, the creation of humans and animals… all of that indicates that the Almighty Creator is One with no partner or associate:
“That is Allaah, your Lord, the Creator of all things, Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He). How then are you turning away (from Allaah, by worshipping others instead of Him)?[Ghaafir 40:62 – interpretation of the meaning]
The variety and greatness of these created things, the perfect way in which they are formed, the way in which they are maintained and controlled, all indicate that the Creator is One and that He does as He wills and rules and decides as He wants:
“Allaah is the Creator of all things, and He is the Wakeel (Trustee, Disposer of affairs, Guardian) over all things”
[al-Zumar 39:62 – interpretation of the meaning]
All of the above indicate that this universe has a Creator, that this dominion has a Sovereign, that behind these forms is One Who gives them shape:
“He is Allaah, the Creator, the Inventor of all things, the Bestower of forms. To Him belong the Best Names”
[al-Hashr 59:24 – interpretation of the meaning]
The soundness of the heavens and the earth, the order of the universe, the harmony among created things, all indicate that the Creator is One, with no partner or associate:
“Had there been therein (in the heavens and the earth) aalihah (gods) besides Allaah, then verily, both would have been ruined. Glorified be Allaah, the Lord of the Throne, (High is He) above all that (evil) they associate with Him!”[al-Anbiya’ 21:22 – interpretation of the meaning]
These great created things either created themselves – which is impossible – or man created himself then created them – which is also impossible:
“Were they created by nothing? Or were they themselves the creators?
Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Nay, but they have no firm Belief” [al-Toor 52:35-36]
Reason, Revelation and the original state of man (fitrah) all indicate that this universe has One Who brought into being, that these created things have a Creator Who is Ever-Living and Eternal, All-Knowing and All-Aware, Powerful and Almighty, Kind and Most Merciful. He has the Most Beautiful Names and Sublime Attributes and He knows all things. Nothing is beyond His control, and there is nothing like unto Him:
“And your Ilaah (God) is One Ilaah (God — Allaah), Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (there is none who has the right to be worshipped but He), the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
[al-Baqarah 2:163 – interpretation of the meaning]
The existence of Allaah is something that is there is no excuse for not knowing. It is the matter of common sense:
“Their Messengers said: What! Can there be a doubt about Allaah, the Creator of the heavens and the earth?”
[Ibraaheem 14:10 – interpretation of the meaning]
Allaah has created people with the natural instinct (fitrah) to affirm His Lordship and Oneness, but the shayaateen (devils) came to the sons of Adam and caused them to deviate from their religion. According to a hadeeth qudsi, “I created all My slaves as haneefs (monotheists), but the shayaateen (devils) came to them and made them deviate from their religion, and they forbade them that which I had permitted to them.” (Narrated by Muslim, no. 2865)
Among them are those who deny the existence of Allaah, and those who worship the Shaytaan, and those who worship man. And there are those who worship the dinar [money], or fire, or genital organs, or animals. And there are some who associate in worship with Him a stone from the earth or a star in the sky.
These things which are worshipped instead of Allaah, cannot create or provide; they cannot hear or see, or bring benefits or cause harm. So how can they worship them instead of Allaah?
“Are many different lords (gods) better or Allaah, the One, the Irresistible?” [Yoosuf 12:39 – interpretation of the meaning]
Allaah has condemned those who worship these idols which cannot hear, see or think:
“Verily, those whom you call upon besides Allaah are slaves like you. So call upon them and let them answer you if you are truthful.
Have they feet wherewith they walk? Or have they hands wherewith they hold? Or have they eyes wherewith they see? Or have they ears wherewith they hear?”
[al-A’raaf 7:194-195 – interpretation of the meaning]
“Say (O Muhammad to mankind): ‘How do you worship besides Allaah something which has no power either to harm or benefit you? But it is Allaah Who is the All‑Hearer, All‑Knower”
[al-Maa'idah 5:76 – interpretation of the meaning]
How ignorant man is of his Lord Who created him and provides for him. How he rejects Him and forgets Him, and worships others instead of Him:
“Verily, it is not the eyes that grow blind, but it is the hearts which are in the breasts that grow blind”
[al-Hajj 22:46 – interpretation of the meaning
Glorified be Allaah far above that which they associate with Him. Praise be to Allaah the Lord of the Worlds:
“Say (O Muhammad): Praise and thanks be to Allaah, and peace be on His slaves whom He has chosen (for His Message)! Is Allaah better, or (all) that you ascribe as partners (to Him)?” (Of course, Allaah is Better).
Is not He (better than your gods) Who created the heavens and the earth, and sends down for you water (rain) from the sky, whereby We cause to grow wonderful gardens full of beauty and delight? It is not in your ability to cause the growth of their trees. Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? Nay, but they are a people who ascribe equals (to Him)!
Is not He (better than your gods) Who has made the earth as a fixed abode, and has placed rivers in its midst, and has placed firm mountains therein, and has set a barrier between the two seas (of salt and sweet water)? Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? Nay, but most of them know not!
Is not He (better than your gods) Who responds to the distressed one, when he calls on Him, and Who removes the evil, and makes you inheritors of the earth, generations after generations? Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? Little is that you remember!
Is not He (better than your gods) Who guides you in the darkness of the land and the sea, and Who sends the winds as heralds of glad tidings, going before His Mercy (rain)? Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? High Exalted be Allaah above all that they associate as partners (to Him)!
Is not He (better than your so‑called gods) Who originates creation, and shall thereafter repeat it, and Who provides for you from heaven and earth? Is there any ilaah (god) with Allaah? Say: ‘Bring forth your proofs, if you are truthful’”
[al-Naml 27:59-64 – interpretation of the meaning]

maro

muslimah
Importance of knowing the Beautiful Names of Allaah

Question:
What is the importance of knowing the Beautiful Names of Allaah?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.​

Knowing the Beautiful Names of Allaah is very important indeed, for the following reasons:
  1. Knowledge of Allaah and His Names and Attributes is the noblest and best of all knowledge, because the level of honour of any kind of knowledge has to do with the object of knowledge, and the object of knowledge in this case is Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, through His Names, Attributes and Deeds. Occupying oneself with seeking this knowledge and studying it properly is the pursuit of the highest objective, and acquiring this knowledge is one of the best gifts a person may be given. Because the Prophet
    saws.gif
    (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained it very clearly and was very keen to do so, the Sahaabah never disputed in this matter as they did over some of the rulings (ahkaam).​
  2. Knowing Allaah makes a person love and fear Him, and put his hope in Him, and be sincere towards Him in his actions. This is the essence of human happiness. There is no way to know Allaah except by knowing His Most Beautiful Names and seeking a proper understanding of their meanings.​
  3. Knowing Allaah by His Most Beautiful Names increases one’s faith, as Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Believing in and knowing the Most Beautiful Names of Allaah includes the three types of Tawheed: Tawheed al-Ruboobiyyah (Unity of Divine Lordship), Tawheed al-Uloohiyyah (Unity of the Divine Nature) and Tawheed al-Asma’ wa’l-Sifaat (Unity of the Divine Names and Attributes). These three types of Tawheed form the essence and joy of faith (the word translated here as “joy” implies peace and relief from stress), and this knowledge is the basis and purpose of faith. The more a person learns about the Names and Attributes of Allaah, the more his faith increases and the stronger his conviction becomes.”​
  1. (Al-Tawdeeh wa’l-Bayaan li Shajarat al-Eemaan by al-Sa’di, p. 41).

[*]
    Allaah created His creatures to know Him and worship Him. This is what is expected from them and what they are required to do, because as Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The key to the call of the Messengers, the essence of their Message, is knowing Allaah through His Names and Attributes and Deeds, because this is the foundation on which the rest of the Message, from beginning to end, is built.”​
    (Al-Sawaa’iq al-Mursalah ‘ala al-Jahamiyyah wa’l-Mu’attilah by Ibn al-Qayyim, 1/150-151). So when a person occupies himself with learning about Allaah, he is doing what he was created for, but if he ignores the matter, he is neglecting what he was created for. The meaning of faith is not merely to utter words without knowing Allaah, because true faith in Allaah means that the slave knows the Lord in Whom he believes, and he makes the effort to learn about Allaah through His Names and Attributes. The more he learns about his Lord, the more he increases in faith.

[*]
    Knowledge of the Names of Allaah is the basis for all other knowledge, as Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Knowledge of the Most Beautiful Names of Allaah is the basis of all other kinds of knowledge, for the objects of all these other branches of knowledge were either created or commanded by Him (the various branches of knowledge either deal with objects created by Him or with the laws and guidance revealed by Him). The reason for creation and guidance is found in His Most Beautiful Names (because He is the Creator, He creates things; because He is the Guide to the Straight Path, He reveals guidance, and so on)… Knowing the Most Beautiful Names is the basis of all objects of knowledge, because all knowledge stems from these Names…”​
    (Bada’i' al-Fawaa’id by Ibn al-Qayyim, 1/16 )

maro

muslimah
Tawheed ar-Ruboobeeyah (Maintaining the Unity of Lordship)

This category is based on the fundamental concept that Allaah alone caused all things to exist when there was nothing; He sustains and maintains creation without any need from it or for it; and He is the sole Lord of the universe and its inhabitants without any real challenge to His sovereignty. In Arabic the word used to describe this creator-sustainer quality is Ruboobeeyah which is derived from the root "Rabb" (Lord). According to this category, since God is the only real power in existence, it is He who gave all things the power to move and to change. Nothing happens in creation except what He allows to happen. In recognition of this reality, Prophet Muhammad (saws) used to often repeat the exclamatory phrase "La hawla wa laa quwwata illaa billaah" (There is no movement nor power except by Allaah's will).
The basis for the Ruboobeeyah concept can be found in many Qur'anic verses. For example, Allaah says:

<B>
"Allaah created all things and He Is the agent on which all things depend."9
</B><B>
"And Allaah created you all and whatever you do."10
</B><B>
"It was not you who threw, when you threw, but it was Allaah who threw."11
</B><B>
"And no calamity strikes except by Allaah's permission."12
</B>The Prophet (saws) further elaborated on this concept saying, "Be aware that if the whole of mankind gathered together in order to do something to help you, they would only be able to do something for you which Allaah had already written for you. Likewise, if the whole of mankind gathered together to harm you, they would only be able to do something to harm you which Allaah had already written to happen to you"13
Thus, what man conceives as good fortune and misfortune are merely events predestined by Allaah as part of the tests of this life. The incidents follow patterns set only by Allaah. Allaah has said in the Qur'aan,

<B>
"O Believers! Surely there Is In your wives and children an enemy for you, so beware of them."14
</B>That is, within the good things of this life there are severe tests of one's faith in God. Likewise, in the terrible events of life there lies test as is mentioned in the verse,

<B>
"Surely We will test you with fear, hunger, loss of wealth and life and the fruits of your work, so give glad tidings to those who are patient."15
</B>Sometimes the patterns are recognizable, as in the case of cause and effect relationships, and sometimes they are not, as in the case when apparently good results come from evil means or bad results from good means. God has explained that the wisdom behind these apparent irregularities is often beyond man's immediate comprehension due to his limited scope of knowledge.

<B>
"Perhaps you may dislike something which is really good for you or like something bad for you, but Allaah knows (what is best for you), and you do not."16
</B>Apparently evil events in human lives sometimes turn out to be for the best and apparently good things which people desire turn out to be harmful. Consequently, man's realm of influence in the course of events which make up his life is limited to the mental choice between options presented to him and not the actual results of his choice. In other words "man proposes and God disposes". Apparent "good fortune" and "misfortune" are both from Allaah and can not be caused by good-luck charms such as rabbit's feet, four-leaf clovers, wishbones, lucky numbers, zodiacal signs, etc., or by omens of bad luck like Friday the thirteenth, breaking mirrors, black cats, etc. In fact, the belief in charms and omens is a manifestation of the grave sin of Shirk (association) in this form of Tawheed. 'Uqbah, one of the companions of the Prophet (saws), reported that once a group of men approached Allaah's messenger to give their allegiance to him, and he accepted the oath from nine of them but refused to accept it from one. When they asked him why he refused their companion's oath, he replied, "Verily, he is wearing an amulet"17 The man who was wearing the amulet put his hand in his cloak, pulled the amulet off and broke it then made the oath. The Prophet (saws) then said, "Whoever wears an amulet has committed Shirk."18
As for using the Qur'aan like a charm or amulet by wearing or carrying Qur'anic verses on chains or in pouches to ward off evil or to bring good fortune, there is little difference between such practices and those of the pagans. Neither the Prophet (saws) nor his Companions used the Qur'aan in this fashion, and the Prophet (saws) said, "Whoever innovates in Islaam something which does not belong to it will have it rejected."19 It is true that the Qur'anic chapters, an-Naas and al-Falaq, were revealed specifically for exorcism (that is, for removing evil spells), but the Prophet (saws) demonstrated the proper method by which they should be used. On an occasion when a spell had been cast on him, he told 'Alee ibn Abee Taalib to recite the two chapters verse by verse and when he became ill he used to recite them on himself.20 He did not write them down and hang them around his neck, tie them on his arm or around his waist, nor did he tell others to do so.

kellyjaz

Al-salamu alykum Wa-Rahmatuallah Wabarakatu
To what point can we comprehend the ''creator'' or ''Allah''?

Laila

kellyjaz said:
Al-salamu alykum Wa-Rahmatuallah Wabarakatu
To what point can we comprehend the ''creator'' or ''Allah''?

We can comprehend only what God has revealed to us, so our knowledge is not total or to say it another way - our knowledge is incomplete.

Laila

This is why Muslims ask for knowledge in every salat for a deeper level of comprehension allowing us to stay on Sirat al-Mustaqim.

maro

muslimah
Laila said:
We can comprehend only what God has revealed to us, so our knowledge is not total or to say it another way - our knowledge is incomplete.

I agree with that

maro

muslimah
Who is Allah?
It is a known fact that every language has one or more terms that are used in reference to God and sometimes to lesser deities. This is not the case with Allah. Allah is the personal name of the One true God. Nothing else can be called Allah. The term has no plural or gender. This shows its uniqueness when compared with the word god which can be made plural, gods, or feminine, goddess. It is interesting to notice that Allah is the personal name of God in Aramaic, the language of Jesus and a sister language of Arabic.
The One true God is a reflection of the unique concept that Islam associates with God. To a Muslim, Allah is the Almighty, Creator and Sustainer of the universe, Who is similar to nothing and nothing is comparable to Him. The Prophet Muhammad was asked by his contemporaries about Allah; the answer came directly from God Himself in the form of a short chapter of the Quran, which is considered the essence of the unity or the motto of monotheism. This is chapter 112 which reads:

"In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate.​

Say (O Muhammad) He is God the One God, the Everlasting Refuge, who has not begotten, nor has been begotten, and equal to Him is not anyone."

Some non-Muslims allege that God in Islam is a stern and cruel God who demands to be obeyed fully. He is not loving and kind. Nothing can be farther from truth than this allegation. It is enough to know that, with the exception of one, each of the 114 chapters of the Quran begins with the verse: "In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate." In one of the sayings of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) we are told that "God is more loving and kinder than a mother to her dear child."
But God is also Just. Hence evildoers and sinners must have their share of punishment and the virtuous, His bounties and favors. Actually God's attribute of Mercy has full manifestation in His attribute of Justice. People suffering throughout their lives for His sake and people oppressing and exploiting other people all their lives should not receive similar treatment from their Lord. Expecting similar treatment for them will amount to negating the very belief in the accountability of man in the Hereafter and thereby negating all the incentives for a moral and virtuous life in this world. The following Quranic verses are very clear and straightforward in this respect:

"Verily, for the Righteous are gardens of Delight, in the Presence of their Lord. Shall We then treat the people of Faith like the people of Sin? What is the matter with you? How judge you?" (68:34-36)​
Islam rejects characterizing God in any human form or depicting Him as favoring certain individuals or nations on the basis of wealth, power or race. He created the human beings as equals. They may distinguish themselves and get His favor through virtue and piety only.
The concept that God rested in the seventh day of creation, that God wrestled with one of His soldiers, that God is an envious plotter against mankind, or that God is incarnate in any human being are considered blasphemy from the Islamic point of view.

The unique usage of Allah as a personal name of God is a reflection of Islam's emphasis on the purity of the belief in God which is the essence of the message of all God's messengers. Because of this, Islam considers associating any deity or personality with God as a deadly sin which God will never forgive, despite the fact He may forgive all other sins.
[Note that what is meant above applies ONLY to those people who die in a state wherein they are associating others with God. The repentance of those who yet live is acceptable to God if He wills. - MSA of USC]​
The Creator must be of a different nature from the things created because if he is of the same nature as they are, he will be temporal and will therefore need a maker. It follows that nothing is like Him. If the maker is not temporal, then he must be eternal. But if he is eternal, he cannot be caused, and if nothing outside him causes him to continue to exist, which means that he must be self-sufficient. And if the does not depend on anything for the continuance of his own existence, then this existence can have no end. The Creator is therefore eternal and everlasting: "He is the First and the Last."
He is Self-Sufficient or Self-Subsistent or, to use a Quranic term, Al-Qayyum. The Creator does not create only in the sense of bringing things into being, He also preserves them and takes them out of existence and is the ultimate cause of whatever happens to them.

"God is the Creator of everything. He is the guardian over everything. Unto Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth." (39:62, 63) "No creature is there crawling on the earth, but its provision rests on God. He knows its lodging place and it repository." (11:6)​

God's Attributes

If the Creator is Eternal and Everlasting, then His attributes must also be eternal and everlasting. He should not lose any of His attributes nor acquire new ones. If this is so, then His attributes are absolute. Can there be more than one Creator with such absolute attributes? Can there be for example, two absolutely powerful Creators? A moment's thought shows that this is not feasible.
The Quran summarizes this argument in the following verses:

"God has not taken to Himself any son, nor is there any god with Him: For then each god would have taken of that which he created and some of them would have risen up over others." (23:91) And Why, were there gods in earth and heaven other than God, they (heaven and earth) would surely go to ruin." (21:22)​

The Oneness of God
"Do you worship what you have carved yourself?" (37:95) "Or have you taken unto you others beside Him to be your protectors, even such as have no power either for good or for harm to themselves?" (13:16)​

The Believer's Attitude

In order to be a Muslim, i.e., to surrender oneself to God, it is necessary to believe in the oneness of God, in the sense of His being the only Creator, Preserver, Nourisher, etc. But this belief - later on called "Tawhid Ar-Rububiyyah" - is not enough. Many of the idolaters knew and believed that only the Supreme God could do all this, but that was not enough to make them Muslims. To tawhid ar-rububiyyah one must add tawhid al'uluhiyyah, i.e., one acknowledges the fact that is God alone Who deserves to be worshipped, and thus abstains from worshipping any other thing or being.
Having achieved this knowledge of the one true God, man should constantly have faith in Him, and should allow nothing to induce him to deny truth.
When faith enters a person's heart, it causes certain mental states which result in certain actions. Taken together these mental states and actions are the proof for the true faith. The Prophet said, "Faith is that which resides firmly in the heart and which is proved by deeds." Foremost among those mental states is the feeling of gratitude towards God which could be said to be the essence of 'ibada' (worship).
The feeling of gratitude is so important that a non-believer is called 'kafir' which means 'one who denies a truth' and also 'one who is ungrateful.'
A believer loves, and is grateful to God for the bounties He bestowed upon him, but being aware of the fact that his good deeds, whether mental or physical, are far from being commensurate with Divine favors, he is always anxious lest God should punish him, here or in the Hereafter. He, therefore, fears Him, surrenders himself to Him and serves Him with great humility. One cannot be in such a mental state without being almost all the time mindful of God. Remembering God is thus the life force of faith, without which it fades and withers away.
The Quran tries to promote this feeling of gratitude by repeating the attributes of God very frequently. We find most of these attributes mentioned together in the following verses of the Quran:

"He is God; there is no god but He, He is the Knower of the unseen and the visible; He is the All-Merciful, the All-Compassionate. He is God, there is no God but He. He is the King, the All-Holy, the All-Peace, the Guardian of Faith, the All-Preserver, the All-Mighty, the All-Compeller, the All-Sublime. Glory be to God, above that they associate! He is God the Creator, the Maker, the Shaper. To Him belong the Names Most Beautiful. All that is in the heavens and the earth magnifies Him; He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise." (59:22-24)​

"There is no god but He, the Living, the Everlasting. Slumber seizes Him not, neither sleep; to Him belongs all that is in the heavens and the earth. Who is there that shall intercede with Him save by His leave? He knows what lies before them and what is after them, and they comprehend not anything of His knowledge save such as He wills. His throne comprises the heavens and earth; the preserving of them oppresses Him not; He is the All-High, the All-Glorious." (2:255) "People of the Book, go not beyond the bounds in your religion, and say not as to God but the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only the Messenger of God, and His Word that He committed to Mary, and a Spirit from Him. So believe in God and His Messengers, and say not, 'Three.' Refrain; better is it for you. God is only one God. Glory be to Him - (He is) above having a son." (4:171)

kellyjaz

ok.

Thank you very much.

I have another question:
What are Jinns, and how can we brush the ''fear'' of them away? i dont know if that makes sense, but what can one do to avoid a jinn...

Laila

kellyjaz said:
ok.

Thank you very much.

I have another question:
What are Jinns, and how can we brush the ''fear'' of them away? i dont know if that makes sense, but what can one do to avoid a jinn...

Jinns are a race just like mankind who live amongst us, however they are invisible to us and made of another substance unlike us. Sinister thing is they can see us but we can't see them. There are good jinns and bad jinns just like the human race. Muslims only belief in jinns because the Noble Quran tells us of their existence.

However, most of the Hadiths on jinns are fabricated - we really know very little about them. Why do you fear them? Perhaps you need to take a look at the 'fear' thread - can't remember the exact title!

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
kellyjaz said:

Jinns were created before human beings and they have to worship God the same way we do. There are good Jinns and bad as well.

They fear human beings at the same way some human beings fear them. But once they notice that someone fear them so they will try to make this fear increase in him.

[6] 'True, there were persons among mankind who took shelter with persons among the Jinns, but they increased them in folly. (Quran 72:6)

You can find verses about Jinns in many places in the Quran, even there is an entire Surah about them.

Here are some of the verses mentioning them.

6:100, 6:128, 6:130, 7:38, 7:179, 18:50, 27:17, 27:39, 34:12, 34:14, 34:41, 41:25, 41:29, 46:18, 46:29, 51:56, 55:33, 72 (Surah Jinn):1, 72:6.

If you believe in God, the creator so you have nothing to fear because God is greater than all. :)