• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

tariffs: does America need higher or lower tariffs on imports.

should America have higher or lower import tariffs

• higher

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Lower

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
What do you think is best for the American economy and American worker higher or lower tariffs and why.

@Revoltingest

Iti oj

Premium Member
I voted higher tariffs I'll explain why once the thread starts going.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What do you think is best for the American economy and American worker higher or lower tariffs and why.
@Revoltingest
Tricky....I generally oppose tariffs.
But I can imagine extraordinary circumstances which justify them, eg, protecting a strategic industry such as military avionics.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Tricky....I generally oppose tariffs.
But I can imagine extraordinary circumstances which justify them, eg, protecting a strategic industry such as military avionics.
Why and how are low tariffs good for the American worker?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why and how are low tariffs good for the American worker?
Some problems with tariffs.....
- As we impose tariffs, other countries retaliate in kind.
- Companies can stagnate from reduced competition caused by tariff market distortion.
- The ability to impose tariffs which benefit particular industries or companies encourages corruption.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Some problems with tariffs.....
- As we impose tariffs, other countries retaliate in kind.
- Companies can stagnate from reduced competition caused by tariff market distortion.
- The ability to impose tariffs which benefit particular industries or companies encourages corruption.
So?
can you demonstrate this?
flat tariff on all imports could solve that.
Again im concerned with workers not companies.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So?
can you demonstrate this?
flat tariff on all imports could solve that.
Again im concerned with workers not companies.
A flat tariff on all would only solve the corruption problem.
That would be a rather ham fisted approach to economics.

Hey, isn't it great that moderators now let us post "fist"!

Iti oj

Premium Member
Hey, isn't it great that moderators now let us post "fist"!
this flummoxed me, i thought it was a jab at a typo i made but its not.

edit:this is a topic im trying to explore and learn been at in on fb so brought it home here

Iti oj

Premium Member
ok so im thinking that higher tariffs might be good because it would bring back manufacturing jobs to America, and make American products competitive again. This would create jobs, raise wages and boost the economy as a whole.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
ok so im thinking that higher tariffs might be good because it would bring back manufacturing jobs to America, and make American products competitive again. This would create jobs, raise wages and boost the economy as a whole.
But it would also....
- Raise prices of foreign made goods.
- Perhaps reduce foreign markets for Americastanian goods (due to new tariffs overseas).
Are we better of with the net effect of the advantages & the disadvantages?
This is hard to answer.

Iti oj

Premium Member
@Revoltingest I have read some where that one idea could be too remove corporate taxes and raise tariffs what do you think of that?

Iti oj

Premium Member
But it would also....
- Raise prices of foreign made goods.
- Perhaps reduce foreign markets for Americastanian goods (due to new tariffs overseas).
Are we better of with the net effect of the advantages & the disadvantages?
This is hard to answer.
Well since wages are down and there are less "middle class jobs" i can't see how restoring those jobs and American market would be bad.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The money we spend on foreign products is in American $$, so it can only be spent here in the end. The countries we buy the products from then must use the money to buy things, services, property here. They invest that money here. The money does not simply become foreign.

There is a lot to the money cycle. Its good to have an economy with variety that includes manufacturing jobs, but tariffs are a sword with no handle. You get cut when you put up tariffs.

I think the main problem here is that when industries leave or die (such as the textiles industry) the gov. should encourage reeducation for all the workers who are suddenly redundant. It doesn't do that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well since wages are down and there are less "middle class jobs" i can't see how restoring those jobs and American market would be bad.
Tariffs would increase the cost of living because this includes goods from foreign manufacturers.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Tariffs would increase the cost of living because this includes goods from foreign manufacturers.
But it would increase American manufacturer ing and wage growth increasing purchasing power and product quality

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But it would increase American manufacturer ing and wage growth increasing purchasing power and product quality
Which would increase more than the other?
Also, as prices increase, there is a secondary increase in cost due to sales tax.
As wages increase, take home pay is reduced by the income tax, the rate of which also increases.
Government would love this, but would workers see equivalent benefit from increased taxation?