• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taoistic Churches?

godischange

I'm sort of a newbie to this religion, but I'll go out on a limb and ask. I was wondering if anyone has seen any Taoist churches. I mean, I'm in a Christian singing group and they always ask me where I go to mass and such. Not all the girls their are christian and some have heard of taoism but I feel almost left out of my own religion. I know the concepts, much due to MasterVigil and my mom, but I haven't heard or seen any ceremonies, churches or gatherings of the taoist kind. I don't mind not going to church, but if I know there's one out there, I think I'll investigate. :help:

Master Vigil

Most taoist temples are in china. There are some I am aware of in united states, most on california. But there are not many. From what I know about your philosophy, I am not sure if you would like religious taoism. It is a bit different than the philosophy within the tao te ching. But it permeates everything chinese, and some japanese and korean. Zen buddhism was founded on taoist ideas. Most philosophical taoist learnings can come from martial arts, such as tai chi, chi gung, tae kuk kwan, and others. But I am not sure of any taoist "churches", I am afraid I cannot help you out there.

godischange

Ok, thanks. My mom takes ti-chi, and shes been bugging me to try it. Maybe I will. I dunno though, I have NO patience.

Master Vigil

Tai chi is very hard for alot of people who are used to doing everything "forcefully". And tai chi is very smooth, very flowing. But just like a flexible bamboo tree, strong as hell.

The Black Whirlwind

if you have any "chinatowns" in your area, i would look there. if you live in california, there's a real old one in yuma city, out in central cali, and theres a lot in san francisco chinatown. hope i could help.

Master Vigil

Yeah there are some nice temples in Cali. But out here in Pa, not too much at all. Some acupuncture centers and my meditation class I teach. :) Mostly everything here is christian. We have some buddhist temples in and around pittsburgh, but still no taoist temple.